HDD not detected on startup

Isaki

Hi,

Ever since the last big windows update (I think it was the fall creators update?) when I power on my PC one of my two hard drives won't show up in windows.

However, simply restarting is enough to have it show up again and usaully after the first restart, the drive will continue to show up until the next day,

My question is, is this some sort of windows issue? or a sign that my hard drive is dying?

Thanks

Does it shop up in drive management? (when it doesn't appear)

File Explorer > Right click "Computer" > Drive Management

If it does, try CheckDisk:

Windows Start Menu > Type CMD > Right click and Run as Admin > Type "chkdsk <INSERT DRIVE LETTER>" and hit return

For example to Check disk C: you would use the command:

chkdsk C:

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

No, it doesn't show up in disk management when it doesn't show up in explorer and i've never seen it show up in BIOS

12 minutes ago, Lord_Danalite said:

No, it doesn't show up in disk management when it doesn't show up in explorer and i've never seen it show up in BIOS

It may be a power delivery fault, or something to do with the drive hardware. Try changing the SATA plug or the SATA power to the HDD. If both do not work then it's either a severe software fault or a severe drive fault. 

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

Try pulling the drive and connecting to another system or a HDD dock. Pull up the SMART data on the drive with a free tool such as CrystalDiskInfo and see what that says. Feel the drive as you give it power, you should feel the platters inside spin.