3570K vs 3770

Hey guys, just looking to build a new PC and it'll be mostly a video editing PC and I am on a budget. I am an Aussie so prices here are a bit higher then the US and the price difference between the i5 and i7 is $70 here. I've been trying to decide between the Intel Core i5 3570K and the Intel Core i7 3770.

Now I know they're both clocked at 3.40GHz and that the i7 has hyper-threading. As you can probably tell I'm wanting to know is it worth going with the i7 for the hyper-threading or could I be satisfied with the i5? I use Sony Vegas Pro for video editing and and my current build is kind of lacking the performance to be able to smoothly edit 1080P video off a Canon Vixia/Legria HF G10 Prosumer video camera. Now obviously there's nothing wrong with the camera but obviously my current PC can't keep up with the HD video that well.

Here's my current system

HP Pavilion desktop

PSU: 305w

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.40GHz Q6600

Memory: 4GB DDR2 @ 667MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT430 1GB

Hard Drive: 500GB 7200rpm

Now I can't remember what brand of motherboard but that doesn't matter.

You can see right there that this PC isn't adequate for the type of task I'm using it for. I've seen that going from my current CPU to the 3570K that there is quite a huge leap in performance and also since I haven't experienced hyper-threading I can't miss it.

But of course if you guys do suggest that it's performance is so much better I will certainly look into it.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

A 3570K would be a nice step up. I would buy a one again if I had to.

You can make a 3570K as fast as a 3770 if you overclock it to 4.6. Once you've OCd to 4.6 your single threaded performance would be outstanding.

You may want to consider an 8320 though. 8 cores/threads would be great for those who are editing/rendering constantly.

Yes I meant 8320, the 8350 only comes with 200 more MHz which you can OC yourself easily.

i5 3570k to i7 3770(not unlocked right?)

Core to core the i7 is faster. If you're only getting a new cpu then your wasting ur money. your gpu will bottleneck it to hell.

now lets just assume ur getting a high end graphic card (670/680/7950/7970/titan) then in the NEW aaa games you will get better frames on the 3770 because newer games have better multi thread support.

IF you're getting a high end graphic card that i have stated above, get the i7 if you can afford it. if you need to sacrifice gpu performance to buy a i7, dont just get the i5 and a high end gpu. but you would also need a new psu, 450-500w for a single high end gpu.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

I would go with the 3570k if you are on a budget and want to game+video render. It is fine for gaming but if you want to render videos, the best choice would be the 3770. Get the K version if you want to overclock it.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would look at an 8 core AMD if you're on a budget and mostly render videos. If you're gaming a lot on it, the 3570k would be worth looking into.

Thanks for your feedback guys, quite helpful. I have actually looked into the Amd 8320 and 8350 against the 3570K and the 3570K seems to mostly beat the 8320 and 8350 in most all tests. I obviously don't want to compromise performance by going with and Amd processor. Have any of you had experience with either of these Amd processors?

Just to give you some info on the budget build I'm currently considering

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000

PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

Memory: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1002FAEX

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive

Monitor: ASUS MX239H 23in AH-IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

Also I'm open to any suggestions of any component that could be swapped out for a better one. I do want to try to keep this under $1,400 - $1.500 for my budget so bear that in mind when suggesting any changes.

Thanks for your feedback guys, quite helpful. I have actually looked into the Amd 8320 and 8350 against the 3570K and the 3570K seems to mostly beat the 8320 and 8350 in most all tests. I obviously don't want to compromise performance by going with and Amd processor. Have any of you had experience with either of these Amd processors? Just to give you some info on the budget build I'm currently considering

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000

PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W ST60F-P

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K

Memory: Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 1TB WD1002FAEX

Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive

Monitor: ASUS MX239H 23in AH-IPS Widescreen LED Monitor

Also I'm open to any suggestions of any component that could be swapped out for a better one. I do want to try to keep this under $1,400 - $1.500 for my budget so bear that in mind when suggesting any changes.

Get the 8350 it's cheaper than the i7 and will perform better than the i5 due to hyper-threading and make sure the motherboard has a 990FX chipset.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Thanks for your input AdamIsaacLang. What motherboard would you recommend for say the Amd 8350? And also just something I thought everyone should have a look at. Here is the AnandTech site showing a comparison benchmark between the 3570K and the Amd 8350.

If that link doesn't work just copy this http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701

You can make a 3570K as fast as a 3770 if you overclock it to 4.6. Once you've OCd to 4.6 your single threaded performance would be outstanding.

You may want to consider an 8320 though. 8 cores/threads would be great for those who are editing/rendering constantly.

Yes I meant 8320, the 8350 only comes with 200 more MHz which you can OC yourself easily.

Are you sure about the clock on the 8320? Last time I checked it was 1/2 a gigahertz less

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

I'd go for a 8350 and over clock it to hell, you'll get absolutely amazing results ;) also get an nvidia GPU for all the cuda goodness

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

-_-

I myself have never overclocked a CPU, so I wouldn't want to be doing that at all. I'd stick with the CPUs raw performance which is good enough for me anyway.

To give you all an overview of my general use of even my current HP system. I do watch a lot of youtube and the usual, checking mail, some light photo editing and I use Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 to design my graphics for my video edits in Vegas Pro and I probably do what you might consider moderate video editing, although it is my main hobby, so that's why I have chosen at the moment the Intel Core i5 3570K because I don't think I'd need an i7 or really an 8 core CPU but I probably can be persuaded if any of you think I'd need that kind of power.

I myself have never overclocked a CPU, so I wouldn't want to be doing that at all. I'd stick with the CPUs raw performance which is good enough for me anyway.
You should look into it. It's quite easy and a hella lot a fun ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys just wanna run something quickly by you all.

I'm trying to figure out this one thing. I currently have increased my budget to AUD $1,600 and in order to stay within or under that budget I have to choose the following options.

Should I go with the i5 3570K and an SSD or scrap the SSD and go with the i7 3770?

I can assume the answer is the first option but just want to see what you all think? 

If you are not going to overclock then the 3570 non K would be also a good option.

#OhCrap #KilledMyWife

Hey guys just wanna run something quickly by you all.

I'm trying to figure out this one thing. I currently have increased my budget to AUD $1,600 and in order to stay within or under that budget I have to choose the following options.

Should I go with the i5 3570K and an SSD or scrap the SSD and go with the i7 3770?

I can assume the answer is the first option but just want to see what you all think? 

I would go for the i7 unless you really want your computer to be faster in boot times and loading times.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

For me personally I would go with the 8350 because its cheaper, and the platform is cheaper also, and by platform I mean the motherboard because you said you aren't into overclocking. Plus with the money you save you can buy yourself a nice large fast SSD and trust me I've had Sony Vegas it's much faster with an SSD because it can pull the videos faster and it causes less of a bottleneck! That SSD will help you on the long run trust me. Also again if you still have extra money it won't hurt a video editing machine to add in more RAM as Sony Vegas will load the videos into your RAM and if you are working with large video files it's not a bad choice for a 16GB ram. For me I know I already taxed out nearly all my 8GB of ram and I started to run into issues. So that would be my personal choice. The 8350 is more than fast enough, you'll get an SSD, more ram and I forgot to add maybe a stronger graphics card for more CUDA accelerated effects and rendering. :) For me don't just think of Raw CPU power, round out your build and think of "all" the components that can help boost performance don't just base it around one thing because you will run into bottlenecks much later down the road.

For me personally I would go with the 8350 because its cheaper, and the platform is cheaper also, and by platform I mean the motherboard because you said you aren't into overclocking. Plus with the money you save you can buy yourself a nice large fast SSD and trust me I've had Sony Vegas it's much faster with an SSD because it can pull the videos faster and it causes less of a bottleneck! That SSD will help you on the long run trust me. Also again if you still have extra money it won't hurt a video editing machine to add in more RAM as Sony Vegas will load the videos into your RAM and if you are working with large video files it's not a bad choice for a 16GB ram. For me I know I already taxed out nearly all my 8GB of ram and I started to run into issues. So that would be my personal choice. The 8350 is more than fast enough, you'll get an SSD, more ram and I forgot to add maybe a stronger graphics card for more CUDA accelerated effects and rendering. :) For me don't just think of Raw CPU power, round out your build and think of "all" the components that can help boost performance don't just base it around one thing because you will run into bottlenecks much later down the road.

Ah okay. To tell you the truth though I've only ever had Intel processes so I'm kinda like "I only want Intel processes". I don't wanna say it but I think I'm an Intel fanboy. But hypothetically if I were to go with the 8350 what mobo would you recommend?

As far as RAM/memory goes I feel like I'd only need 8GB because I'm not doing intense multi-layered video productions in Sony Vegas so that's why I figured 8GB would do. Plus with how cheap memory is I can always upgrade later if need be.

I didn't realise how much Sony Vegas benefits from an SSD. Quite a surprise.

What SSD would you recommend for Sony Vegas?

Thanks for your suggestions and help, it is quite helpful because I do want to get the most bang for my buck (so to speak). 

It doesn't sound to me like you plan on any gaming just video editing and such. For this the amd 8350 will be better that the 3570k since it has 8 cores and editing will be multithreaded heavy. But even if you want to play games the 8350 will do great. Here's what I'd build.

CPU: AMD 8350

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Crosshair V Formula

RAM: G skill Ripjaw X 16gb 2x8gb

SSD: I'd go with the OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro series 256gb model

HDD: Grab a 1 or 2 TB hard drive for storage

OPTICAL: Pick up a bluray doesn't really matter which

GRAPHICS: GTX 670

CASE: Obsidian 650D

PSU: hx750

This is about a $1576 build US dollars. Personally I'd go for the extra ram. If this is too close to your budget just cut down on the ssd size or case. You can save 1-200$ right there. My 2 cents.

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-3770k OC @ 4.4GHz                       Graphics: MSI GTX 670 PE              SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB                    Case: Cooler Master Haf X      Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 2x8gb 1600 mhz

MotherBoard: Asus Maximus V formula      Optical: Asus 24x DVD Burner        HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda 3TB        PSU: Corsair AX850             Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

i5 3570k to i7 3770(not unlocked right?) Core to core the i7 is faster. If you're only getting a new cpu then your wasting ur money. your gpu will bottleneck it to hell.

This is a blanket statement that, while often true with some applications, is very user-controllable.

Let's say he upgrades his computer's CPU to a 3570K.

Suddenly he can crank up physics, draw distance and world detail, largely bottleneck-free from the GPU side.

You can use CUSTOM settings in games, yeah it's a crazy concept, I know!

Also, there are games that just straight up doesn't use much GPU compared to CPU. Like the fairly recent Natural Selection 2, Skyrim and Hawken (the latter is interesting because it's heavily sponsored by Nvidia!) and in those games a 3570K will pretty much come close to maxing everything, even particles and shadows almost regardless of how bad the GPU is (not so much Skyrim but the other two)

Bottlenecking doesn't quite exist as an ON/OFF kinda thing, you have CONTROL, now use it!

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

It doesn't sound to me like you plan on any gaming just video editing and such. For this the amd 8350 will be better that the 3570k since it has 8 cores and editing will be multithreaded heavy.

As far as I've been able to verify, Ivy Bridge with highest tier Intel HD graphics are currently the top dog in video rendering, if you set it up correctly.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

I know you don't play games so just jump ahead to his conclusion starting at 5:30. Linus does a good job explaining. There are 4 parts to the series if you want to watch them all.

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-3770k OC @ 4.4GHz                       Graphics: MSI GTX 670 PE              SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB                    Case: Cooler Master Haf X      Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb 2x8gb 1600 mhz

MotherBoard: Asus Maximus V formula      Optical: Asus 24x DVD Burner        HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda 3TB        PSU: Corsair AX850             Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

It doesn't sound to me like you plan on any gaming just video editing and such. For this the amd 8350 will be better that the 3570k since it has 8 cores and editing will be multithreaded heavy. But even if you want to play games the 8350 will do great. Here's what I'd build.

CPU: AMD 8350

MOTHERBOARD: Asus Crosshair V Formula

RAM: G skill Ripjaw X 16gb 2x8gb

SSD: I'd go with the OCZ Vector or Samsung 840 Pro series 256gb model

HDD: Grab a 1 or 2 TB hard drive for storage

OPTICAL: Pick up a bluray doesn't really matter which

GRAPHICS: GTX 670

CASE: Obsidian 650D

PSU: hx750

This is about a $1576 build US dollars. Personally I'd go for the extra ram. If this is too close to your budget just cut down on the ssd size or case. You can save 1-200$ right there. My 2 cents.

Hmm that seems like a good build, but unfortunately that same configuration would be exactly $2,315 here, that's including the build fee to get it built for me and I'm not confident in doing it myself. If I swap out the 256GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB for the 128GB that still makes it $2,211 for me which is way over budget. If you don't mind could you try adjusting that build recommendation to fit within USD $1,524 (which is AUD $1,576). I appreciate your suggestion just a tad too expensive for me sorry.