Windows / NVMe Boot problem

Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,

Before you do anything make sure you've got a properly created and working Windows installer, either DVD or USB will work. I recommend using the Windows Media Creation Tool for this as the resulting installer is guaranteed to support both legacy boot mode and UEFI boot mode.

Ok so to begin unplug all your other drives, just leave the SSD connected.

Next head into UEFI and set the following options as I list them (sorry I can't help you find them, I'm not at all familiar with Gigabytes UEFI but they will all be there somewhere)

CSM or Compatibility Support Module - Disabled

Fast Boot - Enabled (if you see an option called Fast don't select that one)

Secure Boot - Enabled

Full Screen Boot Logo - Enabled (optional but will give you a cool start up animation)

SATA Mode - AHCI (should be the default but check it anyway)

Save and exit

Finally you'll need to reinstall Windows, this shouldn't require any special steps per se, just ensure you delete ALL partitions on the SSD so it's entirely RAW then just click Next and allow Windows to auto partition the drive for you.

Once Windows is installed and booted click Start and type System Information, find the Boot Mode line and ensure it says UEFI. You'll also know UEFI boot mode is working if Windows shows you a Gigabyte logo during boot up instead of the default Windows logo.

At this point you can shut down, reconnect your other drives and then get on with reinstalling all your driver's and apps.

Enjoy sub 10 seconds boot time from pressing the switch to desktop.

Side note, if you ever need to reinstall Windows again then you shouldn't need to worry about disconnecting your other HDDs, Windows will convert your SSD to GPT for you and only GPT drives can be used to boot in UEFI boot mode.

Good luck.

Hello everyone!

This is my first time posting on this forum. Sorry for any mistakes :(

I have been digging through the internet for the answer for my problem. I have an NVMe bootable disk. It boots fine but with a long boot time (15-19s). If I disable all other drives (except the NVMe one) in my bios I get the "no bootable device insert boot disk and press any key" error. If enable another drive (as a second boot priority) it boots fine. I am sure that windows has been installed only on the NVMe drive. I might add that it hasn't always been that big of a problem with the boot time. Previously it was something like 8-9s but the situation with the boot priorities was the same (I didn't mind). Something changed when I updated my BIOS. 

Here are my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K

MO: Gigabyte Z270X-Ultra Gaming-CF

BIOS: F8

RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB

GPU: GTX1080

NVMe: Corsair MP500

How attached are you to your Windows install? To sort this one properly will require a full Windows reinstall.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Not so much. If a reinstall would help I'm willing to do it :) 

Before you do anything make sure you've got a properly created and working Windows installer, either DVD or USB will work. I recommend using the Windows Media Creation Tool for this as the resulting installer is guaranteed to support both legacy boot mode and UEFI boot mode.

Ok so to begin unplug all your other drives, just leave the SSD connected.

Next head into UEFI and set the following options as I list them (sorry I can't help you find them, I'm not at all familiar with Gigabytes UEFI but they will all be there somewhere)

CSM or Compatibility Support Module - Disabled

Fast Boot - Enabled (if you see an option called Fast don't select that one)

Secure Boot - Enabled

Full Screen Boot Logo - Enabled (optional but will give you a cool start up animation)

SATA Mode - AHCI (should be the default but check it anyway)

Save and exit

Finally you'll need to reinstall Windows, this shouldn't require any special steps per se, just ensure you delete ALL partitions on the SSD so it's entirely RAW then just click Next and allow Windows to auto partition the drive for you.

Once Windows is installed and booted click Start and type System Information, find the Boot Mode line and ensure it says UEFI. You'll also know UEFI boot mode is working if Windows shows you a Gigabyte logo during boot up instead of the default Windows logo.

At this point you can shut down, reconnect your other drives and then get on with reinstalling all your driver's and apps.

Enjoy sub 10 seconds boot time from pressing the switch to desktop.

Side note, if you ever need to reinstall Windows again then you shouldn't need to worry about disconnecting your other HDDs, Windows will convert your SSD to GPT for you and only GPT drives can be used to boot in UEFI boot mode.

Good luck.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Thank you so much! I'll try this later today and let know if anything has changed :)