Corrupted files

Hi LTT,

This issue started today in which Fortnite Battle Royale would crash randomly during the game. Then I noticed other things were starting to act up. At first I thought it was a driver issue, so I went to reinstall GeForce experience. The reinstall didn’t fix the issue, and the driver installations failed.

I then reinstalled windows, and it temporarily fixed the issues, but it’s getting worse. Opera browser will not open due to a corrupted file error, and upon installing Fortnite it gives me an error saying files are corrupted. What could the issue be?

I would start by doing a clean reinstall of Windows, as in wiping the drive completely and starting over.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

What windows version are you running? Did you do a windows recovery or a reinstall?

Are you running any sort of anti-virus or anti-malware protection?

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would start by doing a clean reinstall of Windows, as in wiping the drive completely and starting over.

@Crunchy DragonWould boot and nuke work?

11 hours ago, Razor Blade said:

What windows version are you running? Did you do a windows recovery or a reinstall?

Are you running any sort of anti-virus or anti-malware protection?

@Razor BladeWindows 10 pro, and I reinstalled windows with the media creation tool. 

I’m running the standard windows defender. 

10 hours ago, johnukguy said:

Have you run a disk and anti virus/malware check?

@johnukguyI’ll run both of those today. I’m hoping it’s not an issue with the drive because it is a fairly new one, I bought it in January. 

18 minutes ago, 100 said:

@johnukguyI’ll run both of those today. I’m hoping it’s not an issue with the drive because it is a fairly new one, I bought it in January. 

Try not to use Windows Defender. It's regularly failed certification for anti virus and frankly isn't up to par in some situations. Try something like Avast or Panda free editions to test with and disable Defender, at least temporarily. Also run Malwarebytes free separately and see if they catch anything.

3 hours ago, 100 said:

Assuming your drive is compatible and S.M.A.R.T enabled, download CrystalDIskInfo to check what S.M.A.R.T says about your drive health.

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

Also I would echo johnukguy about downloading malwarebytes and maybe AVG or Avast. All have free versions. Run malwarebytes and one of the antivirus programs on your computer. Windows defender used to be as useful as a screen door on a submarine...but now a days it isn't that bad. But no software can protect you 100% so make sure you practice good habits when it comes to downloading files.

Oh and you don't have to download the media creation tool to reset windows. You can go into settings then recovery. However if your computer is infected with a virus or malware. My suggestion goes along with Crunchy Dragon's. Clean the infection off your computer, backup files, then reinstall windows clean.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler