Looking at getting a new pair of headphones for my first gaming pc.

So im going to be jumping from my old xbox one to a gaming pc im going to build in the next month roughly. So ive been looking around for a new set of headphones for it. Currently on my XO i use a pair of Astro A40s that i do enjoy but im looking for a dedicated pair for the pc. The ones im currently trying to choose from include the Corsair Void Pro Wireless, Hyperx Cloud Flight, Steelseries Arctis 7 and the Sennhesier HD 598 SR/CS. I would prefer wireless for the freedom to get up and go grab a drink real quick without having to take them off but its not necessary. Also the A40s im currently using are open back so im not too sure if i would like a closed back style pair of headphones. Any thoughts and recommendations? Also mic quality is irrelevant to me for these headsets as im going to be using a blue yeti.

Are you going to be using the PC just for gaming or do you have other interests because if you do say watch movies or listen to music I would definitely recommend the sennheiser 598s(or HD6xx if massdrop is offering them because they are better and about the same price) because they will 100% have better sound then any gaming headset on the market however they will have worse positional audio which can effect your gameplay depending on what you are playing. For wireless headphones I do think the hyperx cloud flights are probably the best for a combination of comfort(they are fairly light) as well as build quality and sound for a decent price. Also I dont recommend getting a blue yeti as a mic because the background noise is atrocious on those, I would recommend getting an audio technica AT2020 or the cheaper atr2500 both come in usb options as well as XLR and are better mics.

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mg7k2R

2 minutes ago, BryceJonathan said:

Are you going to be using the PC just for gaming or do you have other interests because if you do say watch movies or listen to music I would definitely recommend the sennheiser 598s(or HD6xx if massdrop is offering them because they are better and about the same price) because they will 100% have better sound then any gaming headset on the market however they will have worse positional audio which can effect your gameplay depending on what you are playing. For wireless headphones I do think the hyperx cloud flights are probably the best for a combination of comfort(they are fairly light) as well as build quality and sound for a decent price. Also I dont recommend getting a blue yeti as a mic because the background noise is atrocious on those, I would recommend getting an audio technica AT2020 or the cheaper atr2500 both come in usb options as well as XLR and are better mics.

Mainly for gaming but i would be watching videos on youtube, netflix, hulu and crunchyroll. As for what types of games i play its pretty much any genre really. First games im getting once i build the system will be fps games but i plan on getting games from different genres not long after. Also the reason i was planning on getting the yeti is because i have a boom arm here at home thatll fit the mic on it so it wont be directly on the desk. I am as well getting a corsair keyboard with cherry speeds so they wont be overly loud. Just want something thatll capture my voice clearly. Also i cant quite get a dac/amp for the 598s just yet due to prices for ram and gpus hurting my soul. So its pretty much between the hyperx flights and the 598s then. They are practically the same price on amazon right now so thats a non issue. How much worse would the positional audio be on the 598s vs the Flight?

2 minutes ago, Zathandrepus said:

Mainly for gaming but i would be watching videos on youtube, netflix, hulu and crunchyroll. As for what types of games i play its pretty much any genre really. First games im getting once i build the system will be fps games but i plan on getting games from different genres not long after. Also the reason i was planning on getting the yeti is because i have a boom arm here at home thatll fit the mic on it so it wont be directly on the desk. I am as well getting a corsair keyboard with cherry speeds so they wont be overly loud. Just want something thatll capture my voice clearly. Also i cant quite get a dac/amp for the 598s just yet due to prices for ram and gpus hurting my soul. So its pretty much between the hyperx flights and the 598s then. They are practically the same price on amazon right now so thats a non issue. How much worse would the positional audio be on the 598s vs the Flight?

You could use the boom arm for the mics I recommended as well. It is hard to say how much better the positional audio will be as it varies from game to game. Say in a game like fortnite where positional audio is important some people will refuse to use something like the 598s and go for a multi driver headset instead, I personally dont think its important enough to not use my senhheisers. Also you dont need a dac/amp for the 598s or any other headphone its just to get them louder and have better sound quality but you can just plug them right into your computer no issue as well. 

System Specs

CPU: I7-5820k   MOBO:Asus X99 strix   RAM: 32gb corsair Dominator Platinum 2666mhz   GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980TI  PSU: Corsair RM1000i 

1 minute ago, BryceJonathan said:

You could use the boom arm for the mics I recommended as well. It is hard to say how much better the positional audio will be as it varies from game to game. Say in a game like fortnite where positional audio is important some people will refuse to use something like the 598s and go for a multi driver headset instead, I personally dont think its important enough to not use my senhheisers. Also you dont need a dac/amp for the 598s or any other headphone its just to get them louder and have better sound quality but you can just plug them right into your computer no issue as well. 

I dont plan on playing fortnite tbh. I may end up playing csgo or r6s but thats about it as far as "competitive" shooters go. Ill mostly end up playing Shadow Warrior 2, Destiny 2, Killing Floor 2 and maybe Overwatch if my friend gets back into it. Also the audio technica captures ones voice better than the yeti? If so ill probably end up getting that. Would it be wise to get a windscreen/pop filter for it as well?

1 hour ago, Zathandrepus said:

I dont plan on playing fortnite tbh. I may end up playing csgo or r6s but thats about it as far as "competitive" shooters go. Ill mostly end up playing Shadow Warrior 2, Destiny 2, Killing Floor 2 and maybe Overwatch if my friend gets back into it. Also the audio technica captures ones voice better than the yeti? If so ill probably end up getting that. Would it be wise to get a windscreen/pop filter for it as well?

Yeah getting a pop filter is always good.

System Specs

17 minutes ago, BryceJonathan said:

Yeah getting a pop filter is always good.

Ok. Ill def end up getting the 598 SR and do some more research on the at2020 and the yeti. I would prefer to get the yeti due to the mute button right on the front of the mic. I dont think the background noise would be a big deal since i only have a stand fan in my room that isnt super loud. Thanks alot for your help Bryce!