Best headphones for my needs?

Drkrinklez

I'm not a hardcore audiophile, however, I REALLY love and appreciate great audio. I'm an avid music listener and play video games a lot too. I currently have some ATM30X's and I really do think it's time for an upgrade. What do you guys suggest for around $150 USD? Also, a dac would be awesome too, but not sure if I could get both some headphones and a dac at that budget. Thanks!

beyerdynamic dt770

sennheiser hd598

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

1 minute ago, minervx said:

beyerdynamic dt770

sennheiser hd598

Liked how to sennheisers sounded, but both a bit up my budget.

I would say Phillips SHP9500s. The beyers and Sennheisers are also good options. If you catch the SHP9500s on sale you could probably swing a Schitt Fulla otherwise a Fiio E10K will usually do the trick.

Just now, Jdnoss1234 said:

I would say Phillips SHP9500s. The beyers and Sennheisers are also good options. If you catch the SHP9500s on sale you could probably swing a Schitt Fulla otherwise a Fiio E10K will usually do the trick.

Ah the phillips. heard LOTS of good things about it, but not sure if It would be worth it, because they are about the same price as the cans I have now, so im not expecting a difference worth to buy it. 

What @Max_Settings recommended me for under 100 USD was the following:

SHP9500, Status Audio CB-1, or Takstar Pro 82.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

The SHP9500s are a big step up from the M30x. I would compare the SQ of the SHP9500s I had to be on par with my AKGs. The SHPs had better slightly mids, better treble and the AKGs had better lowend. The imaging slightly better on the SHPs but the AKGs have bigger soundstage. Both cans were very comfortable but the SHP9500s had the advantage of the V-Moda Boom-pro mic for gaming. The SHP is a great can, easily better than what you currently have, especially in the comfort department. That would be worth the upgrade alone.

1 minute ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

The SHP9500s are a big step up from the M30x. I would compare the SQ of the SHP9500s I had to be on par with my AKGs. The SHPs had better slightly mids, better treble and the AKGs had better lowend. The imaging slightly better on the SHPs but the AKGs have bigger soundstage. Both cans were very comfortable but the SHP9500s had the advantage of the V-Moda Boom-pro mic for gaming. The SHP is a great can, easily better than what you currently have, especially in the comfort department. That would be worth the upgrade alone.

It was 55 bucks for the longest time :( Now its 100 bucks on new egg... 

Ya I saw that. Probably missed the sale by a week. Its still 75 on amazon so that isn't a bad price about average really.

1 minute ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

Ya I saw that. Probably missed the sale by a week. Its still 75 on amazon so that isn't a bad price about average really.

Should I get those or just wait?

35 minutes ago, Drkrinklez said:

I'm not a hardcore audiophile, however, I REALLY love and appreciate great audio. I'm an avid music listener and play video games a lot too. I currently have some ATM30X's and I really do think it's time for an upgrade. What do you guys suggest for around $150 USD? Also, a dac would be awesome too, but not sure if I could get both some headphones and a dac at that budget. Thanks!

This may be a bit overkill but, here it is.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

It is safe to say that they will go on sale again.... eventually. I usually see it a few times a year. 75 isn't a bad price, so if you need something now go for it. If you can stand to wait for the next sale you will save yourself 20 bucks. Depending on your situation that may be worth it to you.

8 minutes ago, Jdnoss1234 said:

It is safe to say that they will go on sale again.... eventually. I usually see it a few times a year. 75 isn't a bad price, so if you need something now go for it. If you can stand to wait for the next sale you will save yourself 20 bucks. Depending on your situation that may be worth it to you.

Yeah I think I can wait

Thanks brother

55 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

This may be a bit overkill but, here it is.

Several of the highest regarded audio people here on the forum have given those absolutely terrible reviews.  Not just bad, but, and I quote:

Ok, so I took them off. My ears are still ringing and I'm in a really bad mood.

These headphones are bad. Just terrible. I genuinely hate them.

I told myself I'd give these an hour. It's been 19 mins and I just want everything to end. Not just this listening experience. Earth. I want Earth to end.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Drkrinklez said:

It was 55 bucks for the longest time :( Now its 100 bucks on new egg... 

idk if you might be able to get them from canada, they're on sale for $80 right now ($63 USD)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If you can stretch that a bit, HE 4xx and HD 6xx are very good. K7xx is a step down from that and 598 is another step down from the K7xx. The Philips is very good but I don't know enough about it.

you can get the dt770's for near 150 on ebay if you look for a sale

PC Build: R5-1600.  Scythe Mugen 5.  GTX 1060.  120 GB SSD.  1 TB HDD.  FDD Mini C.  8 GB RAM (3000 MHz).  Be Quiet Pure Wings 2.  Capstone-550.  Deepcool 350 RGB.

Peripherals: Qisan Magicforce (80%) w/ Gateron Blues.  Razer Naga Chroma.  Lenovo 24" 1440p IPS.  PS4 Controller.

Audio: Focusrite (Solo, 2nd), SM57, Triton Fethead, AKG c214, Sennheiser HD598's, ATH-M50x, AKG K240, Novation Launchkey

Wishlist: MP S-87, iPad, Yamaha HS5's, more storage

16 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Several of the highest regarded audio people here on the forum have given those absolutely terrible reviews.  Not just bad, but, and I quote:

I like them, but they aren't for everyone since they have excellent passive noise cancelling, it is very easy to accidentally turn the volume up way too high, but they sure can hit them base notes. (I actually have a cheaper model). These are professional grade studio headphones, they are tuned differently than your average headset, I know some DJs who use them and love them but they aren't for the faint of heart.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

6 hours ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

I like them, but they aren't for everyone since they have excellent passive noise cancelling, it is very easy to accidentally turn the volume up way too high, but they sure can hit them base notes. (I actually have a cheaper model). These are professional grade studio headphones, they are tuned differently than your average headset, I know some DJs who use them and love them but they aren't for the faint of heart.

Professional? That's a funny joke, they have unbearable highs. If you want bass cans, go for the Retros. VModas are also very good. K7xx, HD 6xx, HE 4xx, and DT770 are all immeasurably better. They are only recommended by TechTubers that know nothing about audio like MKBHD. No offense to him, I like his phone reviews. He just has no idea what good headphones sound like. For one, he described the M70x, M50x, and K7xx as studio monitors. They are clearly not.