OC Poll

Do you Over Clock your CPU  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Do you guys (and girls) Overclock your CPU’s

• Yes
    • No

I personally define overclocking as running hardware out of its specifications.

Whether that is simply undervolting to reduce thermals or setting fixed clock clock speed, changing memory timings etc.

All GPUs, CPUs and RAM have manufacturing tolerances which in turn means that there is always "headroom" to safely gain something from doing it. (even if its small)

(TLDR: fuck intel and their locked processors.)

2 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I personally define overclocking as running hardware out of its specifications.

Whether that is simply undervolting to reduce thermals or setting fixed clock clock speed, changing memory timings etc.

All GPUs, CPUs and RAM have manufacturing tolerances which in turn means that there is always "headroom" to safely gain something from doing it. (even if its small)

(TLDR: fuck intel and their locked processors.)

That doesn't make any sense. Overclocking literally means the clock speed is over its design speed. If you are undervolting, then its just undervolting. The clock speed does not change therefore you are not Overclocking or Underclocking. You are however correct that there is usually headroom, some chips better than others. And I always recommend trying to get the best out of your system.

1 hour ago, geo3 said:

Why wouldn't I want free performance?  Every CPU I've owned since my Celeron II has been over clocked.

I totally agree. I always see people complaining about performance when they could easily gain a few FPS for example by overclocking ram, cpu and gpu. The extra performance is there, its not hard. Just tap into it!

13 minutes ago, Surasonac said:

That doesn't make any sense. 

Lowering memory timings without increasing the clock speed is still an overclock. The same could be said for running a CPU at the same clock speed but a lower voltage, because you are clocking higher than the CPU normally would when given that amount of voltage (via turbo boost or whatever).

6 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Lowering memory timings without increasing the clock speed is still an overclock. The same could be said for running a CPU at the same clock speed but a lower voltage, because you are clocking higher than the CPU normally would when given that amount of voltage (via turbo boost or whatever).

Fair enough. I never learned what memory timings actually are, never touched them personally. I only change voltages and clock speeds.

If you have the thermal headroom and are an enthusiast, not overclocking should be a crime.  EZ free performance. 

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I don't overclock anything I rely on or still has a warranty... If I overclock something it is for fun or as a learning experience because I know my limitations. Though these days a lot of motherboards can overclock your stuff pretty much automatically.

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

Overclocked Phenom II x4 955 to 4ghz, but it doesn't like to be stable because the board is dying. Have run a successful 4.2ghz CPUZ that went unverified...crashed about 15 minutes later.

Overclock my modified-bios 4GB RX 460 from 1250/1750mhz core/mem respectably to 1330/1850mhz for a 7-10FPS bump while gaming. Stablish at 1350/1900mhz but it doesnt play nice all the time.

RAM I'm not so good at. I leave my current HyperX Fury at 1600mhz because I'm not used to the new bios on my current rig (Gigabyte z97m-ds3h).

Unfortunately those CPU OC days are gone with my new(used) i5 4460...unless anyone has figured out an unofficial OC on 1150 mobos.