Question: Video Card with only USB Type-C video output + power

This is a more kind of why "there is not (yet)" type of question.

Why there is not a high end video card with USB Type-C (thunderbolt) video output? For example, what if I want a pro-sumer rig, with 3 screens, but don't want all the 6 cables (3 power, 3 video) that come with it. Mabie, only 1 usb type C chaining the 3 screens directly to the video Card, or maybe, just 3 direct cables from the card. Could the architecture support it?

Edited by Gerardo Buenrostro
Added Thunderbolt to be more specific.

Why? Because you need to power the monitors somehow and why would you run the electricity through you computer to the monitors? It would make the cables thick. Usb C can't handle so much power for a normal monitor as far as I know.

assuming a single monitor runs on 12v a regular usb port wouldn't be enough, not to mention a small usb port.

there are several mods you could create but I guess you're not into that as you want some company to create it for you

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Thunderbolt (which is what I assume you meant) is Intel and they like to have full control of it. I don't think either AMD or Nvidia are interested in handing any control over their tech to Intel.

4 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

USB type C can supply 100w of electricity, so it can definitely run a monitor.

But it has still a Voltage of 5 right? Monitors run on 100-240.

5 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

But it has still a Voltage of 5 right? Monitors run on 100-240.

No, its like 20v or something like that.  Similar to a laptop power brick.

Also, most monitors run off of 12v internally except for the backlight which has its own transformer to get the proper voltage.  Monitors with power bricks use 12-24v usually, with further voltage regulation inside the monitor itself.

If the monitor uses a standard IEC connector (PSU cable), the power brick is still there, just integrated into the chassis.

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

No, its like 20v or something like that.  Similar to a laptop power brick.

Interesting

3 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

Monitors with power bricks use 12-24v usually, with further voltage regulation inside the monitor itself.

Have yet to see a Monitor with a powerbrick.
Also another reason why there is nothing like that is possibly the almost non existent demand for it.

2 minutes ago, Snapperx said:

Interesting

Have yet to see a Monitor with a powerbrick.
Also another reason why there is nothing like that is possibly the almost non existent demand for it.

Almost every monitor I have uses a brick.  The ones that dont just have the same exact parts that are in a power brick mounted in the monitor case.

Ive done lots of board level fixes on my monitor fleet because they were free. :P

2 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

The ones that dont just have the same exact parts that are in a power brick mounted in the monitor case.

I thought so.
So the imaginary type C monitors would have to have both the brick and a connection without the brick just to cater for all as well as the videocard. Seems like a stretch for me.

2 hours ago, Snapperx said:

I thought so.
So the imaginary type C monitors would have to have both the brick and a connection without the brick just to cater for all as well as the videocard. Seems like a stretch for me.

Nope, you can have a diode bridge on the power supply output and simply use the same voltage as USB-C for your intermediary.  It would add, maybe $10 (after retail markup) to the total cost of the monitor.

The power connection is also bi-directional, meaning you can dock your laptop by simply plugging it into the USB-C connection and skipping the charger if the monitor is connected to power.

Two features for the price of one.