BEST 2.1 SETUP FOR HIGH QUALITY SOUND UNDER $700 CAD

So I'm looking at picking up my first set of really good bookshelf/desktop speakers.

I'm on a tight budget for high quality sound: CAD $600 tops for 2 bookshelf speakers and a sub-woofer.

I have been considering 2 sets of speakers + woofer

1. Audio engine HD3 SELF POWERED + audioengine s8 woofer (totals $1000 and pushes my budget alot, i may buy the woofer after a while and save $450 but ideally wouldn't want do without one)

Speakers: https://www.premiumsoundcanada.com/collections/audioengine/products/audioengine-hd3-2-way-wireless-bluetooth-bookshelf-speakers-pair

Woofer:https://www.premiumsoundcanada.com/collections/audioengine/products/audioengine-s8-premium-powered-subwoofer-black

2. Polk Audio T15 speakers + polk audio psw10 sub-woofer (totals $300)

Speakers: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-polk-audio-t15-bookshelf-speakers-black-pair-t15/10270588.aspx?

woofer: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/polk-audio-polk-audio-psw10-10-100-watt-powered-subwoofer-psw10/10053785.aspx?

I could go with the polk, but i've heard recorded playback from the audioengines and even while recorded they sound really good. can anyone help with a comparison? audioengine retailers in the US are the only ones that let you audition the speakers and im based in Canada.  that aside, i will need to purchase a stereo or AV receiver but i dont know much about them in terms of channels and features.

Is there anyone here who could help me figure out what to do or go for? either over the forum or even over a private chat who could help with this? :( i just want a kick ass audio experience.

Thanks in advance.

Can I ask why you aren't looking in the used market? People generally baby speakers, especially higher quality models. The used market cuts your prices by at least a third. That's a reasonable savings into a higher quality pair within your budget. 

7 hours ago, JohnT said:

Can I ask why you aren't looking in the used market? People generally baby speakers, especially higher quality models. The used market cuts your prices by at least a third. That's a reasonable savings into a higher quality pair within your budget. 

I am but still need advice on not too large pair of bookshelves and the entire config, i'm a newbie to speaker audio.

7 hours ago, kmathieu2220 said:

Are you planning to use these on a desk or for a TV?

These will be on a desk primarily connected to a computer used for music, movies and games.

I’d take a look at the Vanatoo T0 - probably as good as it gets for the price for powered monitors. And take a look at used subwoofers - can usually find some pretty good deals around $100 bucks

I have the vanatoo T1's paired with a cheap-ish subwoofer I got on sale from newegg. It's a 12inch Polk sub. It's not the cleanest but if you lower the bass volume on the sub pretty low it sounds great IMO. I just needed some distinctive bass and it does the trick. If you turn it up you can still get wall shaking bass out of it but when I want good loud music I just toss on my headphones to listen to w/o letting the neighbors know what I'm listening to.

6 hours ago, ChaosJ said:

I am but still need advice on not too large pair of bookshelves and the entire config, i'm a newbie to speaker audio.

Some advice I can give you is to ignore the subwoofer at this time. The 2.1 systems in a box (think Logitech, Corsair, Bose) are very simplified and the manufacturers set many settings to balance the frequency response from their products. A dedicated subwoofer is much more complicated to integrate with a PC. It all starts with the connections from your PC, then the cross over frequency, gain, etc.

It can be significantly easier if the speakers you select are active and provide a subwoofer pre-out. Then you just need to mess with the crossover on the sub. Some speakers may do that for you as well. Passive speakers do not provide these pre-outs, but the amplifier might.

I say go for it if you want a challenge or you are willing to learn. But be warned there can be many complications. 

Regarding what @JohnTsaid, it is a bit more difficult to add a subwoofer to some speakers, however the Vanatoo T1 and T0 both have a sub output. They are great bang for your buck.

1 hour ago, NinJake said:

Regarding what @JohnTsaid, it is a bit more difficult to add a subwoofer to some speakers, however the Vanatoo T1 and T0 both have a sub output. They are great bang for your buck.

Do you know if the pre-out is limited or full range?

I would also suggest the Kanto line of powered monitors. I have the Yumis and really enjoy their look, sound, and versatility.

You would need an amplifier if you got the polk

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 hours ago, NinJake said:

Sounds good, do you know how they compare to the Polk t15s? Im looking for at least that level of sound quality.

3 hours ago, kmathieu2220 said:

I would also suggest the Kanto line of powered monitors. I have the Yumis and really enjoy their look, sound, and versatility.

same question as above, how do they compare to the polk t15s, any idea?

22 minutes ago, ChaosJ said:

Sounds good, do you know how they compare to the Polk t15s? Im looking for at least that level of sound quality.

same question as above, how do they compare to the polk t15s, any idea?

Not exactly sure how they would compare as I have not hear the polks but the key difference here is that they are powered speakers so you wouldn't need to get an amp. The T0 and T1 would definitely be better than the polk but are more expensive than the Kanto options