Possible home server?

TehMiik

Hey guys! First off, I just want to say I'm loving the new look of the LTT forums. But I play a lot of MC and have a lot of films and music from iTunes. Anyway I have been looking on eBay for a cheap Athlon SATA system or something and then my buddy from school gave me an old Pentium crappy pre-fab system in a pretty cool m-atx case. I have an m-atx Gigabyte board with a FX 4170 4.2GHz 2core 4thread CPU and was wondering if I should build in that case with new PSU and gigabit LAN card. It has 6x SATA 2 3Gb/s and I wanna throw a single 4gb stick of RAM in it. Then buy a few Seagate 'cudas, maybe 8-12TB total and use it as a home server. But I have the hardware covered, I need to know how to use it as a home server and access files on my other home computers like my laptop and gaming PC. Any advice would be fantastic!

PS- I would like to install Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate if possible so that I can run my MC server along side!

Main Rig: Intel i7 3930k @4.0GHz---8GB Ballistix @1600MHz---Asus P9X79 Pro---Samsung 840 Pro 128GB---3TB HDD Config---2x GTX 780Ti 3GB---Windows 7 Ultimate

Laptop: Late 2012 13" Retina MacBook Pro---2.5GHz Dual i5---8GB DDR3 @1600MHz---128GB PCI-E SSD---Intel HD4000 1GB---OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Phone: Nexus 4

All you have to do is right click the hard drive or folder in Windows and share it with the network. You can choose to add a password to it if you'd like it the Network and Sharing settings.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

^^^^^^^^^

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

^^^^^^^^^

Lol spam... You could have just liked his post...

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

Lol spam... You could have just liked his post...

I did

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

All you have to do is right click the hard drive or folder in Windows and share it with the network. You can choose to add a password to it if you'd like it the Network and Sharing settings.

Would you be able to share the files to even your phone? or maybe console so you can watch movies and things on the t.v?

I wouldn't recommend installing a media server alongside a O/S. It's not like anything bad would happen but you should leave the build solely as a media server. What O/S do you intend on using for the server?

Would you be able to share the files to even your phone? or maybe console so you can watch movies and things on the t.v?

As long as it's on the same network, yes.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I wouldn't recommend installing a media server alongside a O/S. It's not like anything bad would happen but you should leave the build solely as a media server. What O/S do you intend on using for the server?

Windows 7 Ultimate

Main Rig: Intel i7 3930k @4.0GHz---8GB Ballistix @1600MHz---Asus P9X79 Pro---Samsung 840 Pro 128GB---3TB HDD Config---2x GTX 780Ti 3GB---Windows 7 Ultimate

Laptop: Late 2012 13" Retina MacBook Pro---2.5GHz Dual i5---8GB DDR3 @1600MHz---128GB PCI-E SSD---Intel HD4000 1GB---OSX 10.10 Yosemite

Phone: Nexus 4

Personally I'd stick with something like FreeNas or unRaid because you would consume less resources. Windows 7 isn't really meant to be used as a server.

Well OP I would use 8GB of RAM for a MC server and use something like XP as its really light. Thats what I have sitting in a closet running 24-7. I can see the files from my phone and anything connected to the the network. I dont even have a monitor hooked up I just remote into it. 

i would use linux if the hardware is lacking, btw you do know you can host minecraft on linux if not even better

PC Editing / Gaming Rig Specs : i7-3930k @ 4ghz w/ Hyper 212 Evo | 840 Evo 250gb and Seagate 1TB | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RAM | Zotac GTX 780 | Corsair Vengeance C70 Green | OS: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS / Win10 #KilledMyWife #MakeBombs

I would probably use ZFS on something like FreeNAS or Ubuntu Server for file redundancy (save money by not buying a RAID card).

If you uesd Ubuntu Server, you could easily run your minecraft server(s), set up a LAMP (web server) to play around with and set up FTP and/or OpenVPN to access your files/home netwok remotely.

With the amount of guides and communnity support, learning how to use Ubuntu is actually pretty easy,