xps 13 9360 wont boot from usb in uefi(windows install)

killaDZA

I made a fresh windows install usb and I have used it 2 times in the past so I know it works, including on a XPS 15. Didnt have any issues finding it in the boot menu. Now the only time I can see it/boot from it is if I have "secure boot" off and "legacy roms" option selected. So my question is if it matters if I boot it as "legacy"? Im not really 100% clear on the differences between the 2, but I know uefi is better. So yea, can I install windows using it as "legacy" or do I have to find a way to boot it as uefi? If I do have to boot as uefi, does anyone have any ideas what options I need to select to get the usb to register at the boot menu? 

Thanks for any advice

p.s. I have a 2.5" sata ssd, and it came with "raid on" which I switched to "ahci", idk if that makes a difference. 

Might just want to remake the bootable usb with the microsoft tool. I've had this with older versions of the os on the bootable usb that it just wouldn't load for some reason but would with a newer version.

i have the same laptop, you have to disable secure boot and use legacy, however you can switch back to uefi afterwards and re enable the secureboot, that also allows you to use the bitlocker functionality of win 10 again, hope this helps. 

My rig: 5820k 48Gb DDR4 Gskill Ripjaws, m.2 pcie samsgung 256Gb boot, rampage v extreme x99, 2x asus 980 strix  14.5 Tb other ssds and hdds. Laptop: Lenovo Y510P. Peripherals: G13 /RAT 7 /Corsair K70 RGB/ FLY 5 

7 hours ago, batpanda said:

i have the same laptop, you have to disable secure boot and use legacy, however you can switch back to uefi afterwards and re enable the secureboot, that also allows you to use the bitlocker functionality of win 10 again, hope this helps. 

Ok great, thank you. I was just worries that having it boot using legacy would make it run in legacy forever. Like I said, I don't really understand this stuff yet, so figured I'd ask. Thanks for advice