100% Disk Usage [Windows 10]

AVLNCH

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of attempting to fix a relatively new Windows 10 laptop for a family member. The rundown is as follows:

The disk usage as seen in task manager is constantly at 99-100%. There are no programs running using the disk usage, as viewed by task manager. Even when idle at the desktop. 

So far I have tried the following:

- Disabling Windows Search

- Disabling Superfetch

- Completing a chkdsk restart

- Resetting Windows 10 (keeping files)

- Resetting Windows 10 (deleting files)

Upon booting / restarting the laptop, the disk will be sat at 0-2% for about 1-2 minutes and then will kick straight up to 100% and remain there. There are no viruses / malware. The laptop is barely a month old.

I'm out of options and unsure of what else I can think of, if anyone has experienced this or has any idea on what to look for, advice would be appreciated.

To clarify, There are no programs or services in task manager justifying 100% usage. The laptop is nearly unusable because of how slow it is due to 100% usage.

Specs are:

8th gen Intel core i5

8GB memory

1TB HDD

Thanks.

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

Untitled.png

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Scroll down and look for processes taking up disk resources. Also where does it say it's at 100% usage? Can you take a screenshot?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

12 minutes ago, UponAvalanche said:

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of attempting to fix a relatively new Windows 10 laptop for a family member. The rundown is as follows:

The disk usage as seen in task manager is constantly at 99-100%. There are no programs running using the disk usage, as viewed by task manager. Even when idle at the desktop. 

- Disabling Superfetch

Upon booting / restarting the laptop, the disk will be sat at 0-2% for about 1-2 minutes and then will kick straight up to 100% and remain there. There are no viruses / malware. The laptop is barely a month old.

I'm out of options and unsure of what else I can think of, if anyone has experienced this or has any idea on what to look for, advice would be appreciated.

To clarify, There are no programs or services in task manager justifying 100% usage. The laptop is nearly unusable because of how slow it is due to 100% usage.

Specs are:

8th gen Intel core i5

8GB memory

1TB HDD

Thanks.

Have you tried running windows in safe mode to see if the same issues occur? 

if you run a benchmark you could compare it to others scores

Spoiler
  • CPU: I5 8600K at 4.9 GHZ
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 TI SC
  • Motherboard: Asrock Z370 Pro4 ATX
  • RAM: 8GBx2 DDR4/3000MHz ADATA XPG Z1
  • PSU: Corsair CX750M 750 Watts
  • Storage: 2X256GB WD Black SSD & 2TB HDD
  • Case: IN WIN 101

4 minutes ago, QuirkyRobot said:

Have you tried running windows in safe mode to see if the same issues occur? 

I don't know how to get into safe mode on this W10 laptop. Usually, I can press F8 or DEL on BIOS boot, but turning this laptop on just goes straight to W10 logon. Is there a command I can run etc. ?

Screenshot looks like the one you posted, except the '100%' red at the top is over disk, and if I filter top down for usage, nothing is using over 1.0MB/s. Not justified. Unable to take an actual screenshot at the moment due to it running a second chkdsk during boot-up.

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

1 minute ago, UponAvalanche said:

I don't know how to get into safe mode on this W10 laptop. Usually, I can press F8 or DEL on BIOS boot, but turning this laptop on just goes straight to W10 logon. Is there a command I can run etc. ?

Screenshot looks like the one you posted, except the '100%' red at the top is over disk, and if I filter top down for usage, nothing is using over 1.0MB/s. Not justified. Unable to take an actual screenshot at the moment due to it running a second chkdsk during boot-up.

how to boot in safe mode:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

3 minutes ago, UponAvalanche said:

speed != usage. You can max out a hdd at .1mB/s random io. Also turn superfetch and back on, it makes it faster my making a ram cache, no reason to turn that off.

Put a ssd in if you want it fast.

But otherwise, check the hdd, this can be a sign of a failing or bad hdd.

Now booted into safe mode. I don’t get the disk column in task manager so I’m having to look at resource monitor. From what I can see, it’s not as bad, there’s still a lot going on though but it’s not constantly sat at 100% like in a normal boot.

In a normal boot I see “C:\$LogFile (NTFS volume log) constantly at the top over 5,000,000 read or write, constant. On top of that there’s also multiple system 32 files, components and other random things. There is no consistency whatsoever.

Very stuck right now.

Can't remember if it's the same in windows 10 as it was in previous versions as I have limited personal experience with it. But try going into Safe Mode, then Start menu and type msconfig.sys and hit enter. Look for a Tab that's labeled "Startup" and UNCHECK everything that you know you don't need. More often than not you should be able to get away with disabling everything that's not directly related to drivers (Video or Sound), Virus Software and since it's a laptop Touchpad Drivers/Software.

Did a quick check and they moved msconfig... Per the Microsoft help page:

• From the taskbar, search System Configuration.

• Select the top result, System Configuration desktop app.

• 1 month later...
On 03/04/2018 at 11:05 PM, UponAvalanche said:

Hi all,

- Disabling Superfetch

Specs are:

8th gen Intel core i5

8GB memory

1TB HDD

Thanks.

Iv had the same problem with my HP laptop and I'm considering to upgrade the 2TB HDD to a 500GB SSD.