Hey there guys,

I'm a college student with a passion for android development. However, I've found myself in a rut lately. I'm not sure what app I want to write next. Any suggestions?

I heard a suggestion from a streamer I follow that does programming on the side: always take the time to program silly things for fun. Program an Android version of Clippy that nags you with mostly useless advice about how to use the OS every 5 minutes. How about an app that changes the color of everything when you tap its icon? Or a clock in planck times? These are a couple of suggestions.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Are you trying to build your portfolio or make money?

Also, if you make a material design background maker I'll be happy that I won't have to.

Web Developer and Java contractor

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I heard a suggestion from a streamer I follow that does programming on the side: always take the time to program silly things for fun. Program an Android version of Clippy that nags you with mostly useless advice about how to use the OS every 5 minutes. How about an app that changes the color of everything when you tap its icon? Or a clock in planck times? These are a couple of suggestions.

That's a good idea. I think I'll do that just to keep my mind busy

2 minutes ago, programmer said:

Are you trying to build your portfolio or make money?

Also, if you make a material design background maker I'll be happy that I won't have to.

It'd be nice to make money, but right now it's just for fun

Well, what have you made so far - and which did you enjoy working on the most?

Just now, programmer said:

Well, what have you made so far - and which did you enjoy working on the most?

I've only made some basic list applications (I'm a first year student)

Just now, mattbatc said:

Hey there guys,

I'm a college student with a passion for android development. However, I've found myself in a rut lately. I'm not sure what app I want to write next. Any suggestions?

Flappy bird remake, an Android port for Powerdrive 2000 (make it optimized though), downloadable youtube videos, port for Cluster Truck, port for HuniePop and thats about it. The ports don't have to be direct, just reskins or something. But especially Powerdrive 2000, pls I need it. Oh, a good photoshop app, some sony vegas port, get over it for android.

Could you make things that are useful to you and related to college? A course planning app for your college, if you play any board games then a simple app to meet other players on campus and off, an app that lets people find campus events, music and parties. Also, you could ask professors if there is anything that'd make there lives easier, and looking for interning and freelance work is always a good idea.

As an exercise, just journal what your doing throughout the day for a day or two - focus on things you don't want to do and things you wished you were doing more. Then take each item and spend 10 minutes or less thinking about all of the solutions you could make for just that problem. Pick the simplest solution to the most vexing problem and try to build it. Aim for the smallest scope possible and get a basic version done as quickly as possible, playing with the finished thing will tell you if it's an idea worth running with.

2 hours ago, mattbatc said:

Hey there guys,

Write a game. You may wish to use libgdx to make your life easier

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Try and get into ML, it's awesome once you get everything working (I'd recommend messing around with HyperGAN).

it's time

2 hours ago, AskingForAFriend said:

downloadable youtube

There does need to be some app to download videos to watch offline. Would save me a bunch in mobile data.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

6 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

There does need to be some app to download videos to watch offline. Would save me a bunch in mobile data.

problem is that downloading youtube video is against YouTube term of service. As you know, YouTube is own by google and guess who owns the android trade mark and is responsible for maintaining the android open source project? thats right, google. Such app will never make it to the play store. It is also the reason why all the video downloading extensions on the chrome store has youtube downloading capability disable. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

problem is that downloading youtube video is against YouTube term of service. As you know, YouTube is own by google and guess who owns the android trade mark and is responsible for maintaining the android open source project? thats right, google. Such app will never make it to the play store. It is also the reason why all the video downloading extensions on the chrome store has youtube downloading capability disable. 

Therefore other stores, that store apks, plus if you had a nice website to host the file on all good.

One day I might look into making it but I don't know java. It's just an app I would really like.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´