OBS video on Second GPU?

So, I want to do a full screen projector in OBS (my monitor is 1440p144hz and my capture card is 1080p60hz) but the playback is really laggy when my GPU is maxed out... So here is my question:

I assume I can put in another GPU just for OBS and it's playback function, right?

Looking at the used market around me, there is only really one guy selling a Firepro W2100. Can I use that for smooth video playback? 

i7 7700K @ 4.8 Ghz (Kraken x52 aio cooler)

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI Motherboard

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Power Suply

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

I used my GTX 1050 to record in OBS using the NVENC codec, while I was using GTX 1080ti for gaming.

I just had to change the setting in OBS that said GPU 0 to GPU 1.

As long as OBS supports the codec that can be used for recording with the FirePro, you can use it.

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

I used my GTX 1050 to record in OBS using the NVENC codec, while I was using GTX 1080ti for gaming.

I just had to change the setting in OBS that said GPU 0 to GPU 1.

As long as OBS supports the codec that can be used for recording with the FirePro, you can use it.

Yeah, I actually just found out, that the GPU's need to be of the same manufactor (so both cards need to be either AMD or NVIDIA), but to be clear, OBS on my gaming pc will NOT be streaming or converting anything, it should ONLY be doing playback on a second monitor (or capture card in this case). Can set your 1050 (which I also happen to have but in another computer) to do the playback?

FYI I can see in task manager that OBS is taking about 5-10% of my GPU. When I lock the framrate so the GPU is only at sub 90 % use, the playback is smooooooooth... When my GPU is at 95-100 % (which is it in almost all my games) the playback gets reaaaaally laggy and choppy... 

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

4 minutes ago, Jesmo said:

Yeah, I actually just found out, that the GPU's need to be of the same manufactor (so both cards need to be either AMD or NVIDIA), but to be clear, OBS on my gaming pc will NOT be streaming or converting anything, it should ONLY be doing playback on a second monitor (or capture card in this case). Can set your 1050 (which I also happen to have but in another computer) to do the playback?

FYI I can see in task manager that OBS is taking about 5-10% of my GPU. When I lock the framrate so the GPU is only at sub 90 % use, the playback is smooooooooth... When my GPU is at 95-100 % (which is it in almost all my games) the playback gets reaaaaally laggy and choppy... 

TBH I am not really sure then. But you're right. OBS takes some of the GPU performance just by having it opened so in theory, it should work if you open it on a monitor that runs from different GPU. I just haven't tried it.

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

TBH I am not really sure then. But you're right. OBS takes some of the GPU performance just by having it opened so in theory, it should work if you open it on a monitor that runs from different GPU. I just haven't tried it.

Could I maybe get you to test something for me? Can you set OBS to be run on your second GPU and see if that unloads the main GPU and maybe even see, if the playback is smooth)? If that is the cause, you too, would get more FPS in games :)

You can do so in the Nvidia control panel. I have attached a pic of the menu and setting (sorry, it's in danish)

Unavngivet.jpg

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

5 minutes ago, Jesmo said:

Could I maybe get you to test something for me? Can you set OBS to be run on your second GPU and see if that unloads the main GPU and maybe even see, if the playback is smooth)? If that is the cause, you too, would get more FPS in games :)

You can do so in the Nvidia control panel. I have attached a pic of the menu and setting (sorry, it's in danish)

Unavngivet.jpg

I'm working atm so I will try when I get home... if I don't forget

Just now, WereCat said:

I'm working atm so I will try when I get home... if I don't forget

Nice, thank you!

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

Okay, So I actually went and plugged in my 1050 aswell and I could choose it to run OBS in Nvidia control manager... But it's being completely ignored and still only runs on the 980... So does any game I set to run on the 1050.... Why does it get ignored?

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

27 minutes ago, Jesmo said:

Okay, So I actually went and plugged in my 1050 aswell and I could choose it to run OBS in Nvidia control manager... But it's being completely ignored and still only runs on the 980... So does any game I set to run on the 1050.... Why does it get ignored?

If you have two monitors, have you plugged the other monitor to the 1050 and ran the OBS on that screen while also used the setting from the NVCP?

3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If you have two monitors, have you plugged the other monitor to the 1050 and ran the OBS on that screen while also used the setting from the NVCP?

The playback function completely ignores what ever setings you are using for encoding (remember, I'm not trying to encode, I'm trying to fix the playback).

I have actually now tried plugging in my 1050 aswell, however Nvidas "choose gpu" function simply doesn't work. I have tried several progams and games, everything just runs on the 980 and nothing will change that.

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

2 hours ago, Jesmo said:

So, I want to do a full screen projector in OBS (my monitor is 1440p144hz and my capture card is 1080p60hz) but the playback is really laggy when my GPU is maxed out... So here is my question:

Hmmm... try disabling Global V-Sync in the NVCP and play in FullScreen mode (not Windowed, not Borderless) see if that helps with the stuttering playback.

10 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Hmmm... try disabling Global V-Sync in the NVCP and play in FullScreen mode (not Windowed, not Borderless) see if that helps with the stuttering playback.

nope, it's like everything I put into nvidia control panel is just being ignored. None of the settings I change have any effect.

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

36 minutes ago, Jesmo said:

nope, it's like everything I put into nvidia control panel is just being ignored. None of the settings I change have any effect.

Even after restart?

Just now, WereCat said:

Even after restart?

yep. And plugging the monitors in the other gpu has no effect either.

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

Are the gfx cards being run under SLI, or just stand alone ?

• 7 months later...

If your Main display is the 980, anything that is drawn on the 1050's screen is first drawn by the main display's gpu. however, you can try this: goto windows settings on win10, gaming\ on the top right "Graphics settings" , "classic app" mode, browse to OBS's exe and set it to use the 1050. I tired this and saw that my hd4600 was not able to run obs smoothly so , you can go and try to see if you can off load the OBS's gpu load to the 1050 like that.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, I3ordo said:

If your Main display is the 980, anything that is drawn on the 1050's screen is first drawn by the main display's gpu. however, you can try this: goto windows settings on win10, gaming\ on the top right "Graphics settings" , "classic app" mode, browse to OBS's exe and set it to use the 1050. I tired this and saw that my hd4600 was not able to run obs smoothly so , you can go and try to see if you can off load the OBS's gpu load to the 1050 like that.

wow, that was a late respons to an old post :)

I've sold my second computer with the 1050 in it, but if I ever start streaming again and somehow get my hands on another gtx, I will try your method.

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor