Can't find my router's IP

Spikkel
Go to solution Solved by Spikkel,

Solved.

I disconnected everything from the network, just connected my PC and the router in question. I then set a static IP in the range I had with the old ISP (...8.x instead of ...88.x) and then entered the old IP for the router in a browser (...8.2). It worked. I then just manually changed the router's IP to an IP in the new range (...88.2) and set the default gateway also to ...88.1. 

It's strange that the router did not 'listen' to the microTik's DHCP server.

Anyhow, it works now. 

Thank you all for your input - it's much appreciated.

So I moved over to a new ISP with the same setup as before (except the network IP clanged from 192.168.8.x to 88.x):

A Wireless internet POE MicroTik antenna severs as the gateway, this unit also serves as the DHCP server with IP ...88.1. The first connected device is the router in question, then from there, other computers, a switch - which in turn also connects another PC and AP.

I need to access the router to add new devices to the mac filter, but since changing ISPs I've been unable to do so. I used to get in to the router at the adrees ...8.2, but no luck at ...88.2.

I tried: cmd (run as admin - win7), ipconfig. Ping 192.168.88.255, arp -a

The router's mac does not show up. Also tried Colasoft MAC Scanner

I don't want to reset the router since I'm unsure how to so set it up from scratch.

Any advice will be much appreciated

what about route tracing in the cmd?
like "tracert youtube.com" should give you the routers ip as first hop

however ipconfig should report it correctly

i7 4790K | 4.5ghz @1.19v / 1080 ti strix oc  / Asus Z97 Pro Gamer  / 970 Evo 500GB | 850 Evo 500GB / Corsair 780t white|window  

PG279Q | VG248QE/ Corsair ax860i   /   Corsair H110i GTX   /  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400mhz /

5 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

cmd: ipconfig

if you want to search any ip-adress (not needed for this) in a given adress room use nmap.

the router doesn't show in ipconfig, also tried nmap. Though I'm unsure about the commands I used in Zenmap - it's a difficult application for an amateur.

8 minutes ago, McHox said:

what about route tracing in the cmd?
like "tracert youtube.com" should give you the routers ip as first hop

however ipconfig should report it correctly

I like the 'tracert' command, that is neat! Though the first hop is given as '1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router [192.168.88.1] which is the MicroTik antenna (it's skipping the switch and the router in question) - I tried with and with and without the switch.

28 minutes ago, Spikkel said:

I like the 'tracert' command, that is neat! Though the first hop is given as '1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms router [192.168.88.1] which is the MicroTik antenna (it's skipping the switch and the router in question) - I tried with and with and without the switch.

What mikrotik product are u using?

25 minutes ago, Pangea2017 said:

zenmap is just a gui for nmap. It is the same.

Which command did you have used? are you sure that you searched the right adress room?

nmap -T4 -F 192.168.178.0/24

this is a fast port (100) and ip scan for subnets with 10ms scan delay.

I just used 'nmap 192.168.88.*'
I tried your 'nmap -T4 -F 192.168.178.0/24', i replaced 178 with 88 else i got '0 hosts up'

result: found everything on the network (including the switch) but not the router, its like it doesn't exist... 

Solved.

I disconnected everything from the network, just connected my PC and the router in question. I then set a static IP in the range I had with the old ISP (...8.x instead of ...88.x) and then entered the old IP for the router in a browser (...8.2). It worked. I then just manually changed the router's IP to an IP in the new range (...88.2) and set the default gateway also to ...88.1. 

It's strange that the router did not 'listen' to the microTik's DHCP server.

Anyhow, it works now. 

Thank you all for your input - it's much appreciated.