BEST CPU FOR MSI GTX 1060 6GB GPU!!

49 minutes ago, ThroatKrush said:

Damn!! That will be a powerhouse!

I’m wondering what is causing my current issue of my whole pc just freezing up? Just out of nowhere it will decide to do it. Sometimes I could literally have the pc on for 5 minutes doing nothing and everything locks, I might play for an hour and it will lock up. Other times I play for 3 hours or more with no issues. It’s really random. 

What board would you recommend I go with for the Ryzen?

Hmmmm, that issue sounds a bit weird, and it sounds like you aren't currently overclocking so I doubt its a hardware issue. You probably have a software bug going on, I would run Windows repair options as a quick fix as your new PC is only a few weeks to a month out. Just hold the SHIFT key while selecting RESTART in the Windows power options, from here you should be able to run a few diagnostics and detect any issues. From there, you will have to start testing more extensively such as hardware and possibly wiping drives and doing fresh Windows installs.

The current B350 boards are quite good so I would suggest one of the new B450 or X470 boards for the Ryzen 2000 chip, and a decent one at that. The new 400 series chip-sets are not out yet, just like Ryzen 2000 itself. The newer chip-set comes with new XFR 2.0 (Basically the same as Intel's Turbo Boost) and a few other small features designed to maximize the performance of the new Ryzen 2000 CPUs. Avoid Gigabyte since you are new to overclocking. These boards have a bad habit of showing incorrect voltages and use dynamic voltages rather than static ones. This makes overclocking life more difficult. Current Asus, MSI, and ASRock motherboards in the B350 range are very good, so I would trust that their new B450 boards are going to be fantastic.

Stick with standard full-size ATX boards (so long as they fit in your case) as these deliver premium features and expandibility at an affordable price.

If you wanted a cheaper board, based on current offerings, I would suggest the Asus PRIME B350-PLUS. A VERY good board currently going on NewEgg for $80, so just look for the B450 version of it. If you wanted a more premium X470 board, then spending a bit more is advised, and based on current X370 options, the MSI KRAIT Gaming X370 is a solid choice at $135. Again, look for the new X470 version of the board.

Perhaps we should keep in contact and when Ryzen 2000 rolls around I can help you pick out some components. I will follow you, you just follow me as well and then PM me when you are ready and have a set budget. Keep in mind that spending more on a decent 16GB set of RAM with higher speeds is HIGHLY recommended on ANY Ryzen setup, so prepare to set aside around $200 USD for your RAM.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

12 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Hmmmm, that issue sounds a bit weird, and it sounds like you aren't currently overclocking so I doubt its a hardware issue. You probably have a software bug going on, I would run Windows repair options as a quick fix as your new PC is only a few weeks to a month out. Just hold the SHIFT key while selecting RESTART in the Windows power options, from here you should be able to run a few diagnostics and detect any issues. From there, you will have to start testing more extensively such as hardware and possibly wiping drives and doing fresh Windows installs.

The current B350 boards are quite good so I would suggest one of the new B450 or X470 boards for the Ryzen 2000 chip, and a decent one at that. The new 400 series chip-sets are not out yet, just like Ryzen 2000 itself. The newer chip-set comes with new XFR 2.0 (Basically the same as Intel's Turbo Boost) and a few other small features designed to maximize the performance of the new Ryzen 2000 CPUs. Avoid Gigabyte since you are new to overclocking. These boards have a bad habit of showing incorrect voltages and use dynamic voltages rather than static ones. This makes overclocking life more difficult. Current Asus, MSI, and ASRock motherboards in the B350 range are very good, so I would trust that their new B450 boards are going to be fantastic.

Stick with standard full-size ATX boards (so long as they fit in your case) as these deliver premium features and expandibility at an affordable price.

If you wanted a cheaper board, based on current offerings, I would suggest the Asus PRIME B350-PLUS. A VERY good board currently going on NewEgg for $80, so just look for the B450 version of it. If you wanted a more premium X470 board, then spending a bit more is advised, and based on current X370 options, the MSI KRAIT Gaming X370 is a solid choice at $135. Again, look for the new X470 version of the board.

Perhaps we should keep in contact and when Ryzen 2000 rolls around I can help you pick out some components. I will follow you, you just follow me as well and then PM me when you are ready and have a set budget. Keep in mind that spending more on a decent 16GB set of RAM with higher speeds is HIGHLY recommended on ANY Ryzen setup, so prepare to set aside around $200 USD for your RAM.

No offense, but the Krait Gaming is pretty terrible. The ABSOLUTE lowest I would go for X370 is $150, as most any option lower (in the X370 range), tends to be very subpar (you're paying for the SLI compatability and name at that point). The ASRock Gaming X and ASUS X370 Pro are pretty decent X370 options, with the AB350 Gaming K4 and ASUS Strix B350 rounding out the decent B350 boards. Expect updates for these boards to the new 400 series chipset in April.

Lappy: i7 8750H | GTX 1060 Max Q | 16Gb 2666Mhz RAM | 256Gb SSD | 1TB HDD | 1080p IPS panel @60Hz | Dell G5

24 minutes ago, SpencerC said:

No offense, but the Krait Gaming is pretty terrible. The ABSOLUTE lowest I would go for X370 is $150, as most any option lower (in the X370 range), tends to be very subpar (you're paying for the SLI compatability and name at that point). The ASRock Gaming X and ASUS X370 Pro are pretty decent X370 options, with the AB350 Gaming K4 and ASUS Strix B350 rounding out the decent B350 boards. Expect updates for these boards to the new 400 series chipset in April.

I dont know about that, Tom's Hardware is pretty good at motherboard reviews and the KRAIT is recommended, so I trust their judgement.

I run the Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 and even though it is practically the worst AM4 mobo that you can buy, its plenty good enough. The VRMs dont overheat and OC is achieved with perfect stability. I just dont think OP would like the challenge of a Gigabyte board as he has NEVER OC'd, but premium options like Asus Strix, ASRock Gaming X and the like seem like a bit of unnecessary overkill for someone just looking to game and MAYBE do some simple, very MILD OC in the future.

I just dont see the need for someone on a budget to spend extra on a fancy board when going with Ryzen 5 versus 7, and it just makes more sense for him to focus more of that budget on good RAM.

Current Build Thread:

3 hours ago, ThroatKrush said:

After looking into this more and watching some more reviews, benchmarks etc, I do think I am going to go Ryzen now. Frame rates may not get quite as high as an 8400 or 8600k but they are pretty close. That and I hear the AM4 set should be around for atleast a few more years so if I do want to upgrade say to a Ryzen 3000 Series then I should be able to do that. If I go current 8000 series Intel then I won’t be able to simply upgrade my cpu. Atleast those are some of the things I have been reading about. Now the only question is can I wait another month for the new Ryzens or just go with the Ryzen 1600. I’m itching for a new build!!

The new ones come out next month

Btw this is last gen of Ryzen that's coming out next month, the next gen codename "Zen 2" will be on same socket

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

The new ones come out next month

Btw this is last gen of Ryzen that's coming out next month, the next gen codename "Zen 2" will be on same socket

Wait are you saying that Zen 2 CPUs aren't supposed to be called Ryzen 3000? Some other name? I hope not, Ryzen is just a catchy word :)

Current Build Thread:

4 hours ago, ThroatKrush said:

Damn!! That will be a powerhouse!

I’m wondering what is causing my current issue of my whole pc just freezing up? Just out of nowhere it will decide to do it. Sometimes I could literally have the pc on for 5 minutes doing nothing and everything locks, I might play for an hour and it will lock up. Other times I play for 3 hours or more with no issues. It’s really random. 

What board would you recommend I go with for the Ryzen?

AB350 Gaming K4/Prime X370 Pro

These boards will be updated for B450/X470 probably

2 hours ago, WallacEngineering said:

Wait are you saying that Zen 2 CPUs aren't supposed to be called Ryzen 3000? Some other name? I hope not, Ryzen is just a catchy word :)

No, Ryzen I'm pretty sure was just for first gen Zen

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, JDE said:

No, Ryzen I'm pretty sure was just for first gen Zen

Awwww man that sucks, well hopefully its another good name. Also, pretty sure OP wouldn't be interested in Gigabyte boards. He is new to OC, never done it before, and the Gigabyte boards have those completely inaccurate voltage sensors and Dynamic VCore instead of static, so if he wants to OC in the future, this would make life more difficult for him. Totally agree that the Asus PRIME X370 board is awesome, just seems a tad bit pricey based on his budget and needs, hence my suggestions 7 Posts above ^^^^^^^.

Current Build Thread:

2 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

Awwww man that sucks, well hopefully its another good name. Also, pretty sure OP wouldn't be interested in Gigabyte boards. He is new to OC, never done it before, and the Gigabyte boards have those completely inaccurate voltage sensors and Dynamic VCore instead of static, so if he wants to OC in the future, this would make life more difficult for him. Totally agree that the Asus PRIME X370 board is awesome, just seems a tad bit pricey based on his budget and needs, hence my suggestions 7 Posts above ^^^^^^^.

That's why the AB350 Gaming K4 was in that pile, it got a special mention from Buildzoid in a video somewhere

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

2 hours ago, JDE said:

That's why the AB350 Gaming K4 was in that pile, it got a special mention from Buildzoid in a video somewhere

Does the Gaming K4 not suffer from the issues that the other Gigabyte boards do?

2 hours ago, JDE said:

Oh wait, derp, my bad, Gaming K4 is ASRock, I thought that was a Gigabyte Name, ok then K4 is a good choice @ThroatKrush

Current Build Thread:

On 3/27/2018 at 11:18 PM, WallacEngineering said:

Ya it is definitely the CPU. Even the Extreme FX-9000 series CPUs had pretty crap IPCs and frames performance, this is why the FX line was never considered even competitive with Intel and why Intel became the Tyrant monopoly it was for about 15 years. Ryzen is the FIRST AMD CPU to even come close, and why its considered the first viable, competitive AMD chip.

So again, Ryzen 2000, otherwise your Intel i5 choices are solid :) (8600K preferred just for the OC and higher clocks to push those serious 144 frames)

EDIT: The only time I experience a frame drop on my system is not due to Ryzen but rather me always trying to push my VRAM limits lol!

I5 8600k is now on sale at microcenter for $219 

1 hour ago, ThroatKrush said:

I5 8600k is now on sale at microcenter for $219 

That is not a bad grab at all. Any decent mobos on sale?

Current Build Thread:

32 minutes ago, WallacEngineering said:

That is not a bad grab at all. Any decent mobos on sale?

Haven’t seen any that jump out compared to when I last looked at them. Still wanna see benchmarks when the new Ryzens come out though. Hopefully they still have it for that price come time for me to buy if I do go that route. 

1 hour ago, ThroatKrush said:

Haven’t seen any that jump out compared to when I last looked at them. Still wanna see benchmarks when the new Ryzens come out though. Hopefully they still have it for that price come time for me to buy if I do go that route. 

Probably, older CPUs tend to go on sale alot. The entire Ryzen 1XXX line-up just went on sale to make way for Ryzen 2XXX's launch. Intel is due for its 9000 series sometime this year so I imagine the 8000 series will have a fair bit of sales.

Current Build Thread: