1200$ work+gaming rig, which case?

Hi, I am building a new PC for working (programming, less video editing and 3d rendering...) and gaming. Right now my PC is 5 years old Core2Duo E8400 3Ghz + NVidia 9800GT, I really need a new one.

This is what I chose:

Intel Core i5-4670K

EVGA GeForce GTX 760 SC w/ ACX Cooler 2 GB

GIGABYTE GA-Z87-HD3 - Intel Z87

CORSAIR CS550M, 550W

Kingston HyperX black 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600

GELID Solution Tranquillo rev. 2 (because Haswell gets hot)

Samsung SSD 840 EVO - 120GB, Desktop Kit

total ~1100 USD (22121 Kč, I live in Czech Repulblic)

I have usable peripheals and mechanical WD HDD. I can't decide about a good computer case, it should have good temperatures, but I have only small space in my desk, about 22x45x49 cm (8.6x17.72x19.29 inches) small, currently with 18 cm wide PC case and it is still very cramped. Is it possible to have a good airflow with these small dimensions or should I place PC somewhere else? It gets quite hot here during summer. Which pc case + additional fans should I buy?

I have chieftec gps 550 ab currently running for 5 years, I suppose it is not good idea to put it in a new build that is supposed to run all these new components for 4-5 years, right? And eurocase ml-5435 carodo is the same, I think. Is this a good choice of components, will everything work?

Get a fractal Design Arc Midi R2 the rest of your build looks pretty solid any reason u didnt go amd?

The 350D is a good candidate. The Define R4 is also great, but its dimensions may be a bit of a stretch. (232 x 464 x 523mm, according to their site).

The 350D only supports up to m-ATX motherboards, which I suggest you purchase instead of the ATX motherboard you currently have selected.

Looks good. If temps are an issue you might consider a more efficient cpu cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or the Noctua NH-U12S. I don't know it those are available to you or what the relative costs are vs the Gelid Tranquillo.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

if space is a problem consider choosing a m-ATX board and get the fractal design arc MINI R2, small and clean case with excelent airflow

GPU: MSI GTX 770 gaming || CPU: Intel 4670k @ 4.4Ghz || RAM: 4x4GB 1600mhz Corsair vengeance pro || MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming || CPU cooler: Corsair H105 || PSU: Corsair RM650 || SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, Crucial M4 128GB || Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 || Monitor: ASUS PA238Q

Wow, really fast response... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO looks even better than Gelid, thanks! Cost is about the same.

Yeah, those two cases you suggested need miniATX... And are still too wide for me. (23, 21 cm and I have 22 cm hole in the desk). Define R4 or some Cooler Master HAF would be my choice if I had enough space.... Damn, I¨ll think about that.

I chose Intel processor because I think it is worth it in this price range. I think NVidia cards are much more "professional" than AMD and again, the pricing was better in this case. The only think why whould I want to buy AMD is probably large OpenCL computing, but I rather want to play. Or better price for budget cards.

Corsair obsidian 750d or fractal design r4

"Anything that makes a console more like a PC, makes it better" 

-Linus Sebastian

Wow, really fast response... Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO looks even better than Gelid, thanks! Cost is about the same.

Yeah, those two cases you suggested need miniATX... And are still too wide for me. (23, 21 cm and I have 22 cm hole in the desk). Define R4 or some Cooler Master HAF would be my choice if I had enough space.... Damn, I¨ll think about that.

I chose Intel processor because I think it is worth it in this price range. I think NVidia cards are much more "professional" than AMD and again, the pricing was better in this case. The only think why whould I want to buy AMD is probably large OpenCL computing, but I rather want to play. Or better price for budget cards.

If your doing any editing you should get the E3 1230 V3. It is basically an i7 4770 without the integrated graphics but at the price of an i5. It will get you better performance im games that support more than 4 cores, and it will be a more reliable chip in general.

My PC:

CPU: Xeon E3 1230 V3(Haswell) @ 3.7GHz Motherboard: AsRock B85M-ITX RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP Blue @ 1600MHz Storage: Intel 520 Series 120(Boot), Seagate Barracuda 500GB @ 7200RPM, Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB @ 5400RPM GPU: ZOTAC GTX 970 @ 1.4GHz Case: Node 304 Power Supply: CX430

Hmmmhmm... That's really interesting. I looked up that GIGABYTE GA-H77-D3H Intel H77 is compatible with that processor, right (not overcloking now, HT is better)? That sounds really good... Will that 3.2 Ghz frequency with no turbo hold me down?

In that case, go with an matx mid tower like the n200 and get a matx mobo.

You need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hmmmhmm... That's really interesting. I looked up that GIGABYTE GA-H77-D3H Intel H77 is compatible with that processor, right (not overcloking now, HT is better)? That sounds really good... Will that 3.2 Ghz frequency with no turbo hold me down?

It won't hold you down and should be plenty. If you're going with the xeon, skip the aftermarket cooler as the stock cooler will be fine for that.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

It won't hold you down and should be plenty. If you're going with the xeon, skip the aftermarket cooler as the stock cooler will be fine for that.

I am going with the Xeon, I value HT more than OC. I think I should keep the aftermarket cooler... It gets quite hot here in summer. It won't mess up anything and it's cheap.

About the case, I found Cooler Master N300. The size is same as my old one, just a 1 cm wider, so it will fit nicely. It has everything I need (even USB 3.0) and I don't need to worry about VGA+3 HDDs. It will have 3 cm of space to the left of it, I hope it is enough.

I made a mistake in the depth of my table, it is actually around 49 cm.

I am going with the Xeon, I value HT more than OC. I think I should keep the aftermarket cooler... It gets quite hot here in summer. It won't mess up anything and it's cheap.

About the case, I found Cooler Master N300. The size is same as my old one, just a 1 cm wider, so it will fit nicely. It has everything I need (even USB 3.0) and I don't need to worry about VGA+3 HDDs. It will have 3 cm of space to the left of it, I hope it is enough.

I made a mistake in the depth of my table, it is actually around 49 cm.

There's no point to getting the N300. 

If you want a mid tower, get the N600 or something else like a Source 210 Elite, 200r, or Antec One. Otherwise, get the N200. These cases fulfill their roles a bit better than the N300 does.

• 1 month later...

I got N300 in the end, because again, I don't have much space inside the desk. But everything is fine; there is not much space for cable management, but I don't have much cable clutter and temperatures are ok. Thanks to the guy who recommended me Xeon, I am very happy with my rendering and overall performance! :)