A better way to copy files from one drive, to another?

I have a data drive (1 Terabyte) on a desktop, that I wish to copy files from, to another drive. They are to be copied back to the data drive after I reformat both drives, and reinstall Windows on the C: Drive. Well, that was the plan.

Near the end of the copy, which took some time - several hours, I had popups stating the file names were too long to be copied to the temporary drive. Not sure what that was all about. Both drives are the same size. Both are platter drives. One is an internal drive, while the other a USB drive. 

Anyway, can anyone suggest a better way to copy files from an internal storage drive, to a USB drive, temporarily? 

Please Note: My internet connection speed would take forever and a day, to back up to a cloud.

Thank you,

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

You could try using a program like TeraCopy. I think there's a limit to how long of a path explorer can handle for copy/paste operations that might not exist in TeraCopy

39 minutes ago, ArtemisFolly said:

You could try using a program like TeraCopy. I think there's a limit to how long of a path explorer can handle for copy/paste operations that might not exist in TeraCopy

Thanks.

There was an 8 gig difference in files copied. I just want as many as possible, to be transferred.

TRS-80 Color Computer, 32k, External Storage: Cassette Interface, Modem: 9800 Baud Dial Up, Printer: DMP-100 Dot Matrix. Upgrading to a floppy drive soon!

2 hours ago, ILFE said:

Thanks.

There was an 8 gig difference in files copied. I just want as many as possible, to be transferred.

IF you use TeraCopy, it will let you look at which files (if any) fail to transfer, and give you options for trying again.

1 minute ago, ArtemisFolly said:

IF you use TeraCopy, it will let you look at which files (if any) fail to transfer, and give you options for trying again.

Yeah. I downloaded it. If it works like I hope it will, I will buy the paid version. 

I really appreciate the advice.