X79 CPU upgradebility

1 hour ago, samoTh137 said:

would it make a big difference getting an i5 8600k instead of an i7 3930k? Because i can get one or maybe even 2 gtx 1070's  if i want to (used) but i don't want to get a cpu that can't handle it because it would basically be useless to get the video card(s) and therefor a wast of money

if you've got the chance to get them for good money then the 8600k will be much better and while two 1070's may be great i'd personally stick with one since even now SLI compatibility is all over the place. you could always sell a 1070 on if you can make a profit.

price to performance my rig is great but i myself wouldnt spend the money on a new intel setup yet as i just dont need it for 1080p gaming.

On 29-3-2018 at 6:45 PM, SamuraiXV1 said:

if you've got the chance to get them for good money then the 8600k will be much better and while two 1070's may be great i'd personally stick with one since even now SLI compatibility is all over the place. you could always sell a 1070 on if you can make a profit.

price to performance my rig is great but i myself wouldnt spend the money on a new intel setup yet as i just dont need it for 1080p gaming.

I think i will wait for the ampere cards to launch or get a 1070 as cpu load never really hits 100% (when gaming)

3 hours ago, samoTh137 said:

I think i will wait for the ampere cards to launch or get a 1070 as cpu load never really hits 100% (when gaming)

sounds like a decent plan

23 minutes ago, SamuraiXV1 said:

I hope so ;) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2018 at 7:13 AM, SamuraiXV1 said:

Look what i've got...

A gtx 1070 and a riser so i can see the difference myself on my own system. Unfortunately it's not my card but i can get it if i want to 

image1.jpeg

I have installed the graphic card (it’s next to my pc using the riser cable because it was too long to fit in my case) and it worked for some time and i installed the newest driver using nvidia’s geforce experience program but after about 20 minutes (i started a game to see if it worked) my screen went black and the pc restarted itself.

I didn’t think it was a problem at first because it was the first time booting with the new card but the problem persisted. At first i thought it was a power usage related issue but one time it even crashed when i started up chrome right after booting and as far as i know that isn’t GPU-intensive.

So my question is wether you know a solution because you (@SamuraiXV1) have also swapped a 970 with a 1070 and maybe ran into similar issues.

extra info: my 970 is also still in my computer but i have disconnected the pciE power cables.