Can concentrates be used on coolants

I want to use the Primochill intense opaque sky white on the EK-Cryofuel Clear Premix. Will this work?

13 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

I want to use the Primochill intense opaque sky white on the EK-Cryofuel Clear Premix. Will this work?

No you shouldn't mix different coolants and brands if you want certain colors you can get dyes to color the fluid. 

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

No you shouldn't mix different coolants and brands if you want certain colors you can get dyes to color the fluid. 

Primochill is a sub brand of EK, isn’t it?

6 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

Primochill is a sub brand of EK, isn’t it?

No, that's the first time I've heard that, and they are completely different fluids one is a pastel and the other is a clear you can't be mixing stuff together like that. What I would suggest if you want a build opaque fluid is to go with a Mayhems Pastel either pre colored blue or getting dye and coloring as you desire. 

31 minutes ago, W-L said:

No, that's the first time I've heard that, and they are completely different fluids one is a pastel and the other is a clear you can't be mixing stuff together like that. What I would suggest if you want a build opaque fluid is to go with a Mayhems Pastel either pre colored blue or getting dye and coloring as you desire. 

I have a question I just had. 

https://www.primochill.com/products/primochill-true-infused-insanely-concentrated-liquid-pre-mix-8oz-opaque-sky-white-sx 

Is this better than EK-Cryofuel?

Just now, CyberFern0 said:

They're two different things one is an opaque and a clear fluid but in general the Mayhems Pastel (opaque) and for clear Mayhems X1, EKWB's croyfuel would be the options I suggest over Primochill. 

28 minutes ago, W-L said:

They're two different things one is an opaque and a clear fluid but in general the Mayhems Pastel (opaque) and for clear Mayhems X1, EKWB's croyfuel would be the options I suggest over Primochill. 

I've heard rumors of EK's cryofuel being manufactured by Mayhems. I was looking at blood red cryofuel and x1 blood red and they appear the same color and state compatibility with the same things, so they might be the same, but I can't confirm this.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

20 hours ago, MeDownYou said:

I've heard rumors of EK's cryofuel being manufactured by Mayhems. I was looking at blood red cryofuel and x1 blood red and they appear the same color and state compatibility with the same things, so they might be the same, but I can't confirm this.

The chemistry of the fluids are different from my understanding the Mayhems being Glycerol based and the EKWB one a mixture of different compounds, this doesn't mean it couldn't still be manufacture by Mayhems but I haven't heard of any confirmation of this. 

https://www.ekfluidgaming.com/EK-IM/EK-IM-3831109880135.pdf

The Ek is some sort of Sodium Compound and variant quite a different approach and stuff. I don't know try some different stuff if you would like, run out just do a few rounds of 5% Glycol. 

@W-L Looks like EK's old  "EKoolant" was Mayhems X-1, they look like they have since changed Oems after some digging.

I've compared EK's Cryofuel to the Mayhems x1 and from my limited chem background they are similar compounds of

C8H15NaO2   And

C3H8O3

In terms of stability I'd say that the later probably would be better the longer it's in a system, However, i'd imagine we'd have slightly better thermal conductivity with the former. It looks like if any binding not planned to occur we could end up with more "gunk" from the former, but that's just because of the nature of what would fall out of the molecules potentially. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

19 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

@W-L Looks like EK's old  "EKoolant" was Mayhems X-1, they look like they have since changed Oems after some digging.

I've compared EK's Cryofuel to the Mayhems x1 and from my limited chem background they are similar compounds of

C8H15NaO2   And

C3H8O3

In terms of stability I'd say that the later probably would be better the longer it's in a system, However, i'd imagine we'd have slightly better thermal conductivity with the former. It looks like if any binding not planned to occur we could end up with more "gunk" from the former, but that's just because of the nature of what would fall out of the molecules potentially. 

Yes the old EKcool should be the same as the X1 series including the previous pastel line which was a partnership between the two. The new stuff is different, one of the main caveats is the ability to use the new Cryofuel coolant with no issues with an all aluminum loop like their fluid gaming options where the Pastel stuff reacts and tends to precipitates. 

21 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes the old EKcool should be the same as the X1 series including the previous pastel line which was a partnership between the two. The new stuff is different, one of the main caveats is the ability to use the new Cryofuel coolant with no issues with an all aluminum loop like their fluid gaming options where the Pastel stuff reacts and tends to precipitates. 

Yep glycol doesn't like aluminum when it get's to 65C or so, Interesting how as i see it 40% of mayhems x1 is glycol, 59% water, and it's actually the 1% that is the corrosion inhibitors that protect your loop. 

The Vinyl Decal guy.

8 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

Yep glycol doesn't like aluminum when it get's to 65C or so, Interesting how as i see it 40% of mayhems x1 is glycol, 59% water, and it's actually the 1% that is the corrosion inhibitors that protect your loop. 

I think you mean Glycerol, polypropylene or ethylene glycols shouldn't be a problem actually as that's what's run in mixed metal loop for cars. The Mayhems X1 and Pastel are both glycerol based with some other additives that aren't stated on top of the inhibitors so we don't know exactly what is causing that reaction with aluminum in those fluid gaming setups. 

Check this post here it details the information and also the somewhat lack of detailed info regarding the fluids. 

12 minutes ago, W-L said:

I think you mean Glycerol, polypropylene or ethylene glycols shouldn't be a problem actually as that's what's run in mixed metal loop for cars. The Mayhems X1 and Pastel are both glycerol based with some other additives that aren't stated on top of the inhibitors so we don't know exactly what is causing that reaction with aluminum in those fluid gaming setups. 

Check this post here it details the information and also the somewhat lack of detailed info regarding the fluids. 

Yep, read glycol in post above and my spelling became glycol instead of glycerol...then i just started talking about glycol  in the

post for no reason I guess,

Glycol over 150F or 65C will affect aluminum though which is a fun fact. But yeah...should be ignored as the fluid is glycerol based.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

9 hours ago, W-L said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait just a second. The Pastel forms PRECIPITATES in an aluminum loop?!?!

10 hours ago, W-L said:

Ok, so the EK-Coolstream radiator has copper fins, brass chamber, and an aluminum build. Does this categorize as an “aluminum” radiator?

5 hours ago, CyberFern0 said:

Wait, wait, wait, wait just a second. The Pastel forms PRECIPITATES in an aluminum loop?!?!

4 hours ago, CyberFern0 said:

Ok, so the EK-Coolstream radiator has copper fins, brass chamber, and an aluminum build. Does this categorize as an “aluminum” radiator?

Yes Pastel should never be used in a loop containing aluminum, the EKWB rads are all copper and brass, the housing which is the case around the rad doesn't make any contact with the fluid. 

36 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yes Pastel should never be used in a loop containing aluminum, the EKWB rads are all copper and brass, the housing which is the case around the rad doesn't make any contact with the fluid. 

What about their blocks, reservoirs, and pumps? The blocks are apparently nickel. However, it doesn’t say about the reservoirs and pumps. I have a quick question. If I use a “full-cover GPU block, then I don’t need a backplate, right?

7 minutes ago, CyberFern0 said:

What about their blocks, reservoirs, and pumps? The blocks are apparently nickel. However, it doesn’t say about the reservoirs and pumps. I have a quick question. If I use a “full-cover GPU block, then I don’t need a backplate, right?

Provide a list of what your planning on using in your loop we can determine what would be comaptible and not, for their watercooling gear that is not within the fluid gaming lineup they all work well together. 

A backplate isn't necessary for a waterblock but many use it for protecting the PCB and aesthetic reasons.