Reusing an old laptop display.

noah179
Go to solution Solved by BrinkGG,
1 minute ago, noah179 said:

Should be. i was just wondering if these were the correct one though 

As long as the Ebay description is correct the controller is a match for the pannel. Just when connected to a computer make sure it's detected is the correct display and has resolution options. 

I also personally would bump up the power supply to a 12v 5a and MAKE SURE that the polarity on the power supply is correct. I believe that most electronics are center positive but you can never be too careful. 

Hello i am trying to use the old display from an alienware laptop as another monitor, but i would like some confirmation on some parts that i have found to do the job with so i dont waste my money. Thank you.

Control board: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-DVI-VGA-AUDIO-LCD-Controller-Board-kit-For-LG-15-6-LP156WF1-TLB1-1920-1080/251384255945?hash=item3a87ab55c9:g:Az0AAMXQUmFSjLDJ

Power supply: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-4-Amp-12V-4A-48W-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-Cord-FOR-LCD-Monitors/253043119879?epid=1039400033&hash=item3aea8b9707:g:JB4AAOSwWZpZ-SIP

WIN_20180323_16_31_03_Pro.jpg

WIN_20180323_16_31_42_Pro.jpg

Honestly, I personally would sell the laptop and just buy an actual external monitor.

But I also have a tendency to not trust anything like what you're thinking from Ebay(or things from Ebay in general, not sure why).

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just buy a used monitor on craigslist. Doing a mod like this still requires a stand and will be EXTREMELY fragile. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Honestly, I personally would sell the laptop and just buy an actual external monitor.

But I also have a tendency to not trust anything like what you're thinking from Ebay(or things from Ebay in general, not sure why).

Well the laptop was toast, so i disassembled it, and reused what i can, and i really liked how the screen was so im trying to revive it. And the control boards i ahve found on ebay are from what i can tell are trusted retailers. Sadly i dont have the money or location to purchase a new monitor.

Just now, Brink2Three said:

Just buy a used monitor on craigslist. Doing a mod like this still requires a stand and will be EXTREMELY fragile. 

i can easily create something to keep it safe once i have it up an running. Sadly there is nothing on craigslist in my area, muchless in my price range.

Just now, noah179 said:

Well the laptop was toast, so i disassembled it, and reused what i can, and i really liked how the screen was so im trying to revive it. And the control boards i ahve found on ebay are from what i can tell are trusted retailers. Sadly i dont have the money or location to purchase a new monitor.

Hmm gotcha. Well, if the parts you found seem to be trustworthy, I don't see much reason not to. You can always get a refund, right?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

Hmm gotcha. Well, if the parts you found seem to be trustworthy, I don't see much reason not to. You can always get a refund, right?

1 minute ago, noah179 said:

As long as the Ebay description is correct the controller is a match for the pannel. Just when connected to a computer make sure it's detected is the correct display and has resolution options. 

I also personally would bump up the power supply to a 12v 5a and MAKE SURE that the polarity on the power supply is correct. I believe that most electronics are center positive but you can never be too careful. 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

2 minutes ago, Brink2Three said:

Thank you very much, and as for the powersupply would this work ? https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Volt-5-Amp-12V-5A-DC-AC-Adapter-Charger-Power-Supply-Cord-LCD-Monitor/263398162183?hash=item3d53c0ff07:g:6Q8AAOSw-wJZ6Zcj

11 hours ago, noah179 said:

It's not easy to tell without the controller on hand. The size of the barrel connector as well as the polarity of the connector have to be the same. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"