10gbps to the home info

intertan

I expect it to take years for this speed to be available to my house, I just got fiber.

with some European cities and south Korea cities getting 10gbps to the home I am wondering about a few things

1. the hardware

what is the end point device look like? currently the ont for gpon. is it reasonable size or like a commercial rack mount router?

2. the fiber itself

1 or 2 fibers? can the current gpon fiber/end work in the new equipment

3. the network its self

right now the standard gpon setup is

olt to splitter to ont

is there still a splitter in play or is it a direct olt to ont or similar.

Well firstly this is a very business / pro-consumer oriented idea for the moment, most "normal" households wont even think of it. Theoretically your standard fibre cable can reach speeds of up to 100 pexabits / s (100pb/s) through normal world usage would probably slow that down significantly. As such, until this technology is improved (like the "CatX" on Ethernet) we probably won't see wide deployment of this, nor wide usage for a very long time. 10GB/s is still overkill for pretty much everyone. As far as the hardware, well unless a newer technology comes in, yes this would have to be compatible with current technologies. And this would all be packed into the crappy ISP router you are given too.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

7 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Well firstly this is a very business / pro-consumer oriented idea for the moment, most "normal" households wont even think of it. Theoretically your standard fibre cable can reach speeds of up to 100 pexabits / s (100pb/s) through normal world usage would probably slow that down significantly. As such, until this technology is improved (like the "CatX" on Ethernet) we probably won't see wide deployment of this, nor wide usage for a very long time. 10GB/s is still overkill for pretty much everyone. As far as the hardware, well unless a newer technology comes in, yes this would have to be compatible with current technologies. And this would all be packed into the crappy ISP router you are given too.

It has been a pain for me the customer and the isp the company to provide this service. From the work in the neighborhood and my yard. To the expense and the headaches the isp handles, how future proof is the network?

I fully understand and not complaining about this part, needed to get done. Unlike some of my neibours, I want faster internet but you are not coming in my yard to install your network

granted the main point were the fiber gets split might need more fiber runs in the future but what about leaving the cabinet?

my cabinet for example feeds upto 800 houses, I don't know how many runs go to the main isp office but as 10gbps become more common will they need to run upto 800 fibers from the office?

I would say that we'll probably be on fibre (at least for homes and small businesses) for a while - 5 - 10 years, before the "next big thing" comes along. Until then we'll probably get more runs. The thing is - no network is completely future proof with all the growth currently in the industry. We as consumers will continue to require more bandwidth to play higher-resolution video, and more complex games and eventually saturate the network.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

the router and modem is the main issue , but with fibre all you have to do is get new transceiver . basically fibre is like the next 50 years infrastructure , we just have to upgrade the servers and what is at the end .
they will have to run fibre up to the home's , my current isp in UAE does that , some isp's run it to the cabinet then Ethernet goes to the houses. that won't do because its cutting it close to the limit.