Speculative Planning: Gaming or Workstation Card?

Aereto_Compuru

As much as I have been hearing about graphics cards prices going down, I would consider my options when time opportunities arise. I doubt that workstation cards would see change when gaming cards are most affected by the cryptocurrency mining. However I would like some opinion or input on my consideration to take a workstation card.

I am planning to take Unreal Engine for a spin, use Blender to experiment with 3D modeling and animation, and possibly have GIMP or a better alternative provide textures. I have a RX 480 with ample VRAM to flex, but I need input if having a WX 5100 would benefit more from the process despite that the monitor may not stand to be fully utilized with more color detail like the expensive 10-bit color monitors. My research suggest that they would excel in rendering and processing at lower electrical usage, while I have the gaming graphics card to play and playtest games with.

I thought about the WX 4100 (a half height card), but WX 5100 has the performance that balances out the cost while having similar features to the WX 7100 except its processor count. I only have 1 monitor to use, while my PSU is enough to sustain 2 GPUs in the build on top of the other specs.

As there is the usual tax filing season, vendors may take advantage by organizing sales, though I am anticipated for sales in workstation cards in the future.

Spoiler

Primary PC - Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E531 w/ 8GB RAM and HDD to SSD upgrades - Multi-Purpose / Light Gaming Laptop

Aurelia Null Box - Custom Gamer-Developer Hybrid Desktop PC: Link Below (Intel Core i7 6700, RX 480)

the wx5100 would be slower in all the programs you listed. The reson why workstation cards are faster is due to the drives, and these programd don't use the drive feaures. Rendering wise there the same as a eqv gaming card.

in theory, you can have 1 gpu to play games and the other to render graphics and procces videos, using such a config depends on application capabilities