Can I use this switch for 4GB Fiber Networking?

Go to solution Solved by Lurick,

You'll not be able to use it for standard switching as far as I know. You'd have to setup LUN targets and whatnot and all the fun stuff that go along with SAN configuration.

I recently acquired a Cisco DS-C9124-K9 24-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch. From my understanding this is used for SAN traffic, however, I would like to use it as plain 4GB switch for my servers and PC. I have some experience with Cisco switches, however I have no idea about this one in particular. How would I go about setting this up and which pcie fiber cards will I need to purchase? Any help will be appreciated. I will link the product data sheet from Cisco. 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/storage-networking/mds-9124-multilayer-fabric-switch/prod_bulletin0900aecd80575393.html

You'll not be able to use it for standard switching as far as I know. You'd have to setup LUN targets and whatnot and all the fun stuff that go along with SAN configuration.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

That's what I was afraid of. I have a SAN but can't justify using this switch for only SAN traffic. Thanks for the reply.

1 minute ago, rh113113 said:

That's what I was afraid of. I have a SAN but can't justify using this switch for only SAN traffic. Thanks for the reply.

Yah, Ethernet over Fibre Channel does or did exist on the Nexus 8000 series but that's about it sadly :(

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Yah, Ethernet over Fibre Channel does or did exist on the Nexus 8000 series but that's about it sadly :(

Dang. But thank you for your help!