Desktop not getting 1gbps

Cdog580

Ok So i have a desktop with a gigabit Ethernet port on the Motherboard. for some reason it is saying it is only getting 100mbps on a gigabit network. tried updating drivers but didn't fix the problem. if i plug in my laptop it shows i have 1gbps. any advice on how to fix it on the desktop?

thanks!

Is it 100 megabits or 100 megabytes? If it's the second one, you're fine.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Is it 100 megabits or 100 megabytes? If it's the second one, you're fine.

it's saying 100mbps so bytes. when it has the gigabit it shows 1.0Gbps

2 minutes ago, Cdog580 said:

it's saying 100mbps so bytes. when it has the gigabit it shows 1.0Gbps

1 gigabit = 125 megabits. So you're fine.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

weird it isn't showing it like it did before and on my laptop. on speedtest.net i would get 800 mbps and now its only 100. so i feel there is some other underlying cause as to why both internet and lan speeds are slower

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

1gigabit is 125 megabytes

He's looking at the status and seeing 100Mbps which isn't 1Gbps and confusing bytes with bits.

2 minutes ago, Cdog580 said:

weird it isn't showing it like it did before and on my laptop. on speedtest.net i would get 800 mbps and now its only 100. so i feel there is some other underlying cause as to why both internet and lan speeds are slower

Did you swap the cable when connecting to the laptop or use the same one?

Go to the adapter page, right click, properties, configure, speed & duplex, set it to 1.0Gbps and if you lose internet then set it back to auto.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

He's looking at the status and seeing 100Mbps which isn't 1Gbps and confusing bytes with bits.

Go to the adapter page, right click, properties, configure, speed & duplex, set it to 1.0Gbps and if you lose internet then set it back to auto.

i used the same cable. ill try that

10 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Whoops, I meant megabytes. Oops.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Cdog580 said:

i used the same cable. ill try that

If the internet drops then it means it can't operate at 1Gbps and either the port on the computer or the switch or router is bad. You could try a different port on your network device, see if that changes anything.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

12 minutes ago, Lurick said:

for some reason gigabit isnt in the options for the speed and duplex of my computer. but i know it has gigabit because i have used it before

11 hours ago, Cdog580 said:

for some reason gigabit isnt in the options for the speed and duplex of my computer. but i know it has gigabit because i have used it before

That's odd, are you able to take and post a screenshot of the available options and any info on the adapter itself?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

To what kind of device is the lan cable connected (like a switch, or a router or a powerline adapter or a wall mount) and is that device gigabit compatible?

Honestly sounds like he nic on the desktop isn’t up to it. What’s the make/model of the NIc as it shows up in device manager?

if another device on the same cable/switchport negotiated 1g and this only negotiates 100meg then it’s either a 100meg card, or its faulty.

2 hours ago, Jay Deah said:

Honestly sounds like he nic on the desktop isn’t up to it. What’s the make/model of the NIc as it shows up in device manager?

if another device on the same cable/switchport negotiated 1g and this only negotiates 100meg then it’s either a 100meg card, or its faulty.

its a Killer E2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller on a MSI z87 g45 gaming mobo. all drivers are up to date. the router is the new Verizon Router With gigabit internet and gigabit ports. if i plug my laptop into the same cable i get 1GBPS so its the computer. i just don't know what. it has had 1gbps before but now it doesn't.

network.png

network 2.png

9 hours ago, Levisallanon said:

To what kind of device is the lan cable connected (like a switch, or a router or a powerline adapter or a wall mount) and is that device gigabit compatible?

there is a cat6 patch cable that goes from the PC to a Wall jack. wall jack is cat6 back to workroom directly plugged into Verizon fios gigabit router

Did some searching around, it seems it needs to be on Auto for the thing to operate at 1Gbps but if that's where it was then it sounds like something else is going bad. You could also try connecting your laptop to the PC and seeing if it shows as 100Mbps or 1Gbps. If it shows as 100Mbps I would think that something in the NIC itself is going bad.

You can also order a Intel gigabit PCI-E NIC for like $15 off Amazon, I know it's not ideal but it may come to that.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

4 hours ago, Lurick said:

Did some searching around, it seems it needs to be on Auto for the thing to operate at 1Gbps but if that's where it was then it sounds like something else is going bad. You could also try connecting your laptop to the PC and seeing if it shows as 100Mbps or 1Gbps. If it shows as 100Mbps I would think that something in the NIC itself is going bad.

You can also order a Intel gigabit PCI-E NIC for like $15 off Amazon, I know it's not ideal but it may come to that.

yea the board is getting old. thanks for your help. i have pci slots available so might go that route. thank you for the help!

Check the physical Ethernet port for damaged/bent pins.

the most obvious difference between 100base-t and 1000base-t is that 1g uses a lot more pairs. So if one pair is physically Damaged it’ll negotiate to 100

you have a 8 conductor ethernet between your pc and network? even between routers and switches.

there are 4 conductor Ethernet cables out there.

12 hours ago, intertan said:

you have a 8 conductor ethernet between your pc and network? even between routers and switches.

there are 4 conductor Ethernet cables out there.

There are, but they are exceedingly rare. Even Cat 5 (not Cat 5e, but Cat 5) has 4 pairs (8 conductors). I would actually be shocked if he somehow had a 2-pair cable.

Also, he says the same cable works at Gigabit speed with his laptop.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)