FPS help on Ryzen

Wadzinsky

I recently built a new PC

Ryzen 5 1600

16gb DDR4 2400

GTX 1070

Windows 10 pro

My issue is that in certain games, I get very low FPS and I realized now what is happening.  For some reason it is running the games on a single thread.  Not all games, just a select few like Portal 2 and Rocket League for example. Here are some screen shots to show in Portal 2 that my CPU + GPU are nowhere near maxed, multi core rendering is enabled, and a shot of task manager showing 1 single thread is maxed.

My lesser FX build destroys this game even in 4k without breaking a sweat.  Does anyone know what the issue might be or how to fix it?

20180320_112741.jpg

20180320_112923.jpg

20180320_112952.jpg

Dunno the answer, side note: little did he know, 4k reduces cpu workload.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

33 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Dunno the answer, side note: little did he know, 4k reduces cpu workload.

Explain how a higher res decreases cpu work load? I’m curious.

Its not CPU issue. CPU is more than capable, and AFAIK there isn't even bottlenecking. Hows GPU usage when gaming? This feels more like GPU driver being issue. Or even temps. If you can't monitor while gaming (single monitor only), use some software which tracks longer graph. Like Aida64, HWmonitor, OpenHardwareMonitor or MSI Afterburner.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, Docretier said:

I think what they mean is there is very little extra load on CPU when increasing resolution.  Not that it actually decreases CPU load.  I experienced this when I put my GTX 1070 in my FX-8150 system.  Fallout 4 actually seemed to perform better in 4k than in 1080 because the GPU was the only thing being worked more by doing so.

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Its not CPU issue. CPU is more than capable, and AFAIK there isn't even bottlenecking. Hows GPU usage when gaming? This feels more like GPU driver being issue. Or even temps. If you can't monitor while gaming (single monitor only), use some software which tracks longer graph. Like Aida64, HWmonitor, OpenHardwareMonitor or MSI Afterburner.

Cpu is only on one core though, would that not be a cpu issue?

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

My first pic shows  in the upper left corner

CPU (temp) - CPU load

GPU (temp) - GPU load

FPS

Temps are low as well as load.  But the second pictures shows that 1 of the 12 threads is maxed while the other 11 are barely used at all

9 minutes ago, Docretier said:

Cpu is only on one core though, would that not be a cpu issue?

You wouldn't believe how many games only use single core and are fine.

7 minutes ago, Wadzinsky said:

My first pic shows  in the upper left corner

CPU (temp) - CPU load

GPU (temp) - GPU load

FPS

Temps are low as well as load.  But the second pictures shows that 1 of the 12 threads is maxed while the other 11 are barely used at all

GPU load should be over 70%. Or at 90%+ and CPU at very low % if there would be bottlenecking. This is clearly driver issue. Run some benchmark and see if you can get GPU at 100%. If you would have CPU issue, it would be pinned at 80%+ usage while GPU is under 30%.

I don't have Portal 2, so can't really test on that. But on RL I get maybe 40% usage on 1 core and GPU usage of 70%.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Yes,  I can get the GPU to 100%.  Like I said, this isn't in all games.  Just a couple.  On my FX system, I can get uncapped FPS upward of 600-700 in Portal 2, and all cores are utilized on it.

In fallout 4, I can play in 1440p with maxed settings, the GPU hovers between 75-90% with 60 FPS cap and CPU rarely goes above 50%.  But Portal 2 and Rocket League for some reason are restricted to only 1 thread on the new Ryzen system.  

20 minutes ago, Docretier said:

4k puts more load on the gpu, makes it far more graphically demanding, higher fps values cannot be met due to the gpu, reducing cpu load. 

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

Just now, Wadzinsky said:

Yes,  I can get the GPU to 100%.  Like I said, this isn't in all games.  Just a couple.  On my FX system, I can get uncapped FPS upward of 600-700 in Portal 2, and all cores are utilized on it.

In fallout 4, I can play in 1440p with maxed settings, the GPU hovers between 75-90% with 60 FPS cap and CPU rarely goes above 50%.  But Portal 2 and Rocket League for some reason are restricted to only 1 thread on the new Ryzen system.  

I would think its something software-wise, ill test those games when i get home on my r7 1700

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

I would think its something software-wise, ill test those games when i get home on my r7 1700

Yes, please!!  This is driving me nuts and google searches are returning zero results.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Wadzinsky said:

Yes, please!!  This is driving me nuts and google searches are returning zero results.

Thank you

Also, just wondering what fps are you getting atm? And unless you have a 240hz monitor, whats the point of getting any higher?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Ashiella said:

Also, just wondering what fps are you getting atm? And unless you have a 240hz monitor, whats the point of getting any higher?

I play all my games capped at 60fps with v-sync.  For benchmarking or testing purposes, I'll uncap the frame rate just to see what it can do.  I don't have any high hz monitors.  

On the Ryzen, My frame rate fluctuates.  14 is the lowest I've seen which corresponds to the amount of work being dumped on the single thread.  As it has to work less, the FPS will go higher and start dropping the thread usage once it hits the 60fps cap (like if I look at the floor) :)

5 minutes ago, Wadzinsky said:

I play all my games capped at 60fps with v-sync.  For benchmarking or testing purposes, I'll uncap the frame rate just to see what it can do.  I don't have any high hz monitors.  

On the Ryzen, My frame rate fluctuates.  14 is the lowest I've seen which corresponds to the amount of work being dumped on the single thread.  As it has to work less, the FPS will go higher and start dropping the thread usage once it hits the 60fps cap (like if I look at the floor) :)

Just a thought, can you try disabling SMT and see if it fixes the issue?

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Wadzinsky said:

I recently built a new PC

Ryzen 5 1600

16gb DDR4 2400

GTX 1070

Windows 10 pro

My issue is that in certain games, I get very low FPS and I realized now what is happening.  For some reason it is running the games on a single thread.  Not all games, just a select few like Portal 2 and Rocket League for example. Here are some screen shots to show in Portal 2 that my CPU + GPU are nowhere near maxed, multi core rendering is enabled, and a shot of task manager showing 1 single thread is maxed.

My lesser FX build destroys this game even in 4k without breaking a sweat.  Does anyone know what the issue might be or how to fix it?

I really have now specific idea what is wrong, but:

Have you updated your bios to a more recent one?

Have you installed the Chipset drivers?

What power profile are you on?

I used to have some weird issues early on when adopting the platform, however, the driver updates and bios updates fixed those for me.

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
|| Sapphire Pulse RX 6700 10G || MSI B450i Gaming PLUS MAX Wifi
  || Kingston NV1 2TB m.2 ||  Corsair SF600 || Intertech IM 1 |||
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

Elite 110 build log (update:05/15/2018)

5 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Just a thought, can you try disabling SMT and see if it fixes the issue?

That was the ONE thing I found on google.  I tried that, all it did was disable half of my CPU but still stuck on one core for that game. :(

3 minutes ago, mapegl said:

Have you updated your bios to a more recent one?

Have you installed the Chipset drivers?

What power profile are you on?

Bios is latest version

Chipset driver is one that came with the motherboard. (I will try updating that)

Power plan is Ryzen Balanced

Bios is latest version

Chipset driver is one that came with the motherboard. (I will try updating that)

Power plan is Ryzen Balanced

I am using the maximum performance mode and not ryzen balanced. Can't tell if it makes a difference, but you could try that. 

I had an issue on my old i5 back in the day where it would put certain cores in sleep mode. That was fixed in the high performance mode. 

PC: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @4.2HGhz 1.25V || Noctua NH-U12S SE2 || 16GB (2×8GB) Aegis 3000Mhz CL16 @3200Mhz || 
Peripherals: Sennheiser PC  360 G4ME || AOC CQ27G2U || Viewsonic PX701HD || Keychron V1 || Logitech G303 Shroud Edition||| Laptop: XPS 13 2in1 7390 || Steam Deck 256 GB (64GB Version) ||| Cameras: Fujifilm XH-1 || Fujifilm X100T

3 minutes ago, mapegl said:

I am using the maximum performance mode and not ryzen balanced. Can't tell if it makes a difference, but you could try that. 

I had an issue on my old i5 back in the day where it would put certain cores in sleep mode. That was fixed in the high performance mode. 

I installed latest chipset drivers and switched to high performance power plan.  Problem persists

3 minutes ago, Wadzinsky said:

I installed latest chipset drivers and switched to high performance power plan.  Problem persists

Last idea: do you have an overclock in place? If yes, maybe reset you bios (maybe do that anyways) and try again? 

If nothing helps, I would try reinstalling the whole PC. Sometimes PCs are super weird and it helps to just start all over

Just now, mapegl said:

Last idea: do you have an overclock in place? If yes, maybe reset you bios (maybe do that anyways) and try again? 

If nothing helps, I would try reinstalling the whole PC. Sometimes PCs are super weird and it helps to just start all over

Running stock speeds.  The second option is making my stomach turn..:P 

Running stock speeds.  The second option is making my stomach turn..:P 

Sorry....I do that at least once a year....

There are so many things that could be wrong and that should definitely help....if not, then you should consider if your hardware is faulty.

I'm running a backup right now.  I'll try it.  Just the thought of having to go through setting everything up again tho..  I just built a PC for a friend and went through the windows installation from hell.  

2 minutes ago, Wadzinsky said:

I'm running a backup right now.  I'll try it.  Just the thought of having to go through setting everything up again tho..  I just built a PC for a friend and went through the windows installation from hell.  

Yeah, still. Probably your best option. 

I also hate reinstalling everything, but it usually helps.

I wouldn't use a backup, but try to install as clean as possible.