What to Upgrade from a FX 8350.

Hey guys!

So Ive been just Thinking of upgrading, My PC abit... note This was my first build ever, There was problobly a much better way I could have went for best bang for your buck, But it was my first build.

So, Im really looking to upgrade my CPU and or Mother Board (Fornow)

I am A uni student so im currently not in the best $$$ place, But looking for some ideas. (Edit: 300$ MAX)

As of right now this my Build.

CPU: AMD FX-8350

GPU: 1050ti (mini? i think)
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 970 Gaming

RAM: 8gb Kingston DDR3

Looking to see what would be the most beneficial way, and least costly way to see some improvement.

Thanks!

image.png.666ddb20d89e150eeb3944507df824a9.png

wait if you can

ram is expensive still.. and so are gpus.. still. 

get a SSD if you don't have one. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, Foul said:

What's your budget?

Something like $75 + 175 16GBs + 200 will get you an upgrade to a Ryzen 2 R5 2600 6 core/12 thread CPU when it launches in april

You could buy an ASrock Pro4 at $75 but it'll need an updated BIOS

and you may want a better X470 chipset motherboard anyways.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

You should wait until the cheap 8th gen boards are out then go for the 8400, a single RAM stick, keep the graphics card.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

7 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your budget?

Something like $75 + 175 16GBs + 200 will get you an upgrade to a Ryzen 2 R5 2600 6 core/12 thread CPU when it launches in april

You could buy an ASrock Pro4 at $75 but it'll need an updated BIOS

and you may want a better X470 chipset motherboard anyways.

Hey! 
Thanks for the detailed reply, 

I could probably Max out at 300$.
Mainly tryna change the CPU / Motherboard.

And the ASrock Pro4 Seems to be listed at 150$ Canadian :/ 
And with the Ryzen 2 2600, Says its 33% Faster then the Ryzen 5 1600, And its priced at 240 Canadian,  I feel like the 2600 is gonna cost a pretty penny.

Hope for a reply ::))

Thanks a ton!

4 minutes ago, airdeano said:

don't forget the expensive RAM..

oh sheeeet, Youre right Ryzen needs ddr4 

19 minutes ago, Foul said:

You won't get anything major for $300

You'd have to go with the same ASrock Pro4, an R3 2200G, and 8GBs of DDR4 for around $300

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You won't get anything major for $300

You'd have to go with the same ASrock Pro4, an R3 2200G, and 8GBs of DDR4 for around $300

Thats not bad!
Do you think ill notice some differences?

And BIGGGGG rookie question incoming.

Okie so, My CPU (AMD FX8350) has 8 Cores @ 4 GHz Priced at $180 CAD.
But the R3 2200G has 4 Cores @ 3.5 GHz at $130 CAD...

So wouldn't my 8350 still be better?
Sorry if I sound really stupid here...

-----
EDIT::

When im looking at a Video with the 2200G hes testing Fortnite for example, Maxing out at 22FPS? On High, I can get like 100+ on my current setup D: 

Overwatch I get 120+ But Play on Low Everything ( But nornmaly with V-Sync on ) ://

PUBG Low 60FPS ish.

Im guessing its beacsuse they test it with the On board GPU? or somethin D: 

Video Screen shot. vvvv

Spoiler

image.png.88f1e0b431a5917c081c265aa43cb91e.png

image.png.ef1090baf794454ae07602d9723f9b68.png

image.png.bf835185f3f9694e0d8c93940ed6b779.png

9 minutes ago, Foul said:

The R3 2200G will be faster in some games because it's like 40-50% faster per thread, and since most games don't utilize more than 4 threads very well it'll do alright.

OZ has the exact test, but it's not worth upgrading in any event, wait until you have a higher budget so you can jump on a true upgrade with like a 6 core Ryzen 2 chip.

And ya the test you were watching was probably on the onboard GPU, which needs to run games at 1080p low, so the fps should be higher unless he was running at higher graphical settings.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The R3 2200G will be faster in some games because it's like 40-50% faster per thread, and since most games don't utilize more than 4 threads very well it'll do alright.

OZ has the exact test, but it's not worth upgrading in any event, wait until you have a higher budget so you can jump on a true upgrade with like a 6 core Ryzen 2 chip.

And ya the test you were watching was probably on the onboard GPU, which needs to run games at 1080p low, so the fps should be higher unless he was running at higher graphical settings.

Thanks a ton for all the help! 

I really am thankful, 

So do you think its worth it?

I really dont plan on upgrading any time soon. And dont plan on playing any AAA title games, (besides Borderlands 3 when it comes out) (nor do i plan on Overclocking)

Like the hardest game i have to run is PubG, 

Is there any Like website or anything that shows what games require more threads ?

But my CPU has really shit the bed, so im trying to get away from it as fast as possible.

Thanks for the Video too Helped alot! 

But yea do you think its worth it to upgrade? I really dont want to wait but I dont want to waste my money!

Thanks a lot again !

4 minutes ago, Foul said:

Is there any Like website or anything that shows what games require more threads ?

If your current system has issues then ya probably upgrade to the R3 2200G, the APU will have better resale value in the future than the R3 1200. If you can save up more and wait until April for better motherboards and Ryzen 2 then that's the better option, what's the issue with your current system?

You just have to look up CPU benchmkarks on a per game basis, Assassin's Creed Origins for example can scale even up to threadripper. Don't think many games can do that, though it's fps is still really low due to poor optimization.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/assassins-creed-origins-benchmark/3/#abschnitt_eine_unglaubliche_cpukernskalierung

Spoiler

45 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

If your current system has issues then ya probably upgrade to the R3 2200G, the APU will have better resale value in the future than the R3 1200. If you can save up more and wait until April for better motherboards and Ryzen 2 then that's the better option, what's the issue with your current system?

You just have to look up CPU benchmkarks on a per game basis, Assassin's Creed Origins for example can scale even up to threadripper. Don't think many games can do that, though it's fps is still really low due to poor optimization.

https://www.computerbase.de/2017-10/assassins-creed-origins-benchmark/3/#abschnitt_eine_unglaubliche_cpukernskalierung

What is Wrong with my Current build, Well, it was my first, So i did mess up in some places, the FX 8350, Ive seen alot of posts about crashing And freezing, that mine has also been doing, I had to turn off the Stock auto Turbo clock or what ever in the BIOS, to solve the problom, ( I think , I only did it like 3 hours ago not sure if it fixed) 
I could still just camp it out and keep with what i have, But most games the CPU is really... underwhelming, I know theres a ton of way better builds out there, But im struggling to keep 60fps in most games,

Like i Said i dont plan on playing any Crazy AAA titles, (not sure if your in the Loop with Borderlands, But it seems like the game is poorly optimized for most people) so I struggle to Keep over 40fps in more populated areas, Its a game i really enjoy. Same with Overwatch I play in Low everything (most of the pros do aswell) but it would be nice to beable to bump up my Graphics and be able to play without Vsync at a nice FPS. Right now capping at about 100fps on low.

So the games I play.

Borderlands 1/2/Pre

Overwatch

PubG

Fornite (sometimes)

**Note**
Tried to play FryCry low everything couldn't stay above 20fps lmao.

And some other Steam games Cod,etc 

But yea, Really just trying to justify paying 300$ or if its worth it, Or if im going to buy it all, and see a Huge sale, Or if im even going to see a difference when playing.

Thanks!

If you want an APU then spend the extra and get the R5 2400G. Its a really good APU, worth every penny.

I just finished building a Ryzen 5 1600X system for $370 using used ebay parts. If you are patient, you can find good deals.

R5 1600X lightly used as storage server cpu - $140 shipped

Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Rev 1.0 eBay refurbished 3rd party reseller - $60 shipped.

ADATA XPG Gammix D10 16GB (8GBX2) 3000 MHz - $120 shipped.

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD - $50 shipped

If you dont want APU and want improved maximum framrate capacity, then go Ryzen 2000, but stay away from the lower end R3's, they really arent good enough for demanding games.

Top-Tier Air-Cooled Gaming PC

Current Build Thread:

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I would save up a bit more and get a Ryzen 5 2400G, ASRock AB350-Pro4(BIOS update required), and 8Gb of RAM.

Big Photo, But comparing Ryzen 3 2200G to Ryzen 5 2200G is showing the Ryzen 3 is better buy 1%..

Spoiler

image.png.af00f28319594e4dbee45f316e6acc15.png

1 minute ago, Foul said:

Big Photo, But comparing Ryzen 3 2200G to Ryzen 5 2200G is showing the Ryzen 3 is better buy 1%..

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.af00f28319594e4dbee45f316e6acc15.png

Wait a minute, you already have a GPU. Don't know why I suggested a Ryzen APU...

Save up some cash and get a Ryzen 5 1600.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

The FX series was so bad that you can actually upgrade to older LGA 1155 or LGA 1150 Xeon and get quite a performance boost, while still using your DDR 3.

Prices for an e-bay E3-1280 are in the $125 ballpark and motherboards can be had for as low as $40.  If you want a full ATX board the price goes up a bit on boards, to around $125.  The E3-1280 can reliably be overclocked a little by simply setting the FSB to 105, giving you 3780mhz all core turbo and 4095mhz single core turbo.

I gambled on an E3-1280 ES for $75, slapped it into a $40 H61 motherboard and ended up with a pretty decent performing system.  Even many of the H61 boards can do FSB tweaking to get the overclocking possible with this chip done.

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Wait a minute, you already have a GPU. Don't know why I suggested a Ryzen APU...

Save up some cash and get a Ryzen 5 1600.

yeaaa, 

This is what I dont get,

Is the Ryzen 5 1600 Worth 110$ more then then Ryzen 3 2200 G, Bench marks show its only 8% Better, 

Spoiler

image.png.b0ab1bab6b9c2a7e68ae75eb51a3e7ec.png

2 minutes ago, Foul said:

yeaaa, 

This is what I dont get,

Is the Ryzen 5 1600 Worth 110$ more then then Ryzen 3 2200 G, Bench marks show its only 8% Better, 

Reveal hidden contents

Yes.

Two more cores, eight more threads.  Many newer games are finally pushing quad cores w/o HT to their limits.  Look at the performance difference in the workstation class benchmarks, these results are indicative on quite a few newer games.

yeaaa, 

This is what I dont get,

Reveal hidden contents

It's not all about the benchmarks, overall it's a better chip. Higher core clock, 2 more physical cores, 8 more threads.

I got it in January and I love it, it's a really great CPU.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, KarathKasun said:

Yes.

Two more cores, eight more threads.  Many newer games are finally pushing quad cores w/o HT to their limits.

Well, If you read, I said im really not looking to play any AAA titles, Never planed on it, Dont really think ill Have a problem on the games im planning on playing.

Well, If you read, I said im really not looking to play any AAA titles, Never planed on it, Dont really think ill Have a problem on the games im planning on playing.

Then go with a used E3-1230/1240/1280.

Total cost for CPU/Board/16gb of ram is less than $300, that is hard to beat with any new parts build currently as DDR 4 is eye-wateringly overpriced.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's not all about the benchmarks, overall it's a better chip. Higher core clock, 2 more physical cores, 8 more threads.

I got it in January and I love it, it's a really great CPU.

Trying to figure out if its worth it in my case,

I dont care about getting 150+fps in games, Im perfectly fine with a steady 60fps, just dont want any dropps below that, im fine with playing on medium settings, Just want to be able to play in 1980 x 1080.  

Just now, Foul said:

Trying to figure out if its worth it in my case,

I dont care about getting 150+fps in games, Im perfectly fine with a steady 60fps, just dont want any dropps below that, im fine with playing on medium settings, Just want to be able to play in 1980 x 1080.  

The 1600 is a great choice, it'll last longer than a 4c/4t CPU.