GTX 970 Running hot

therealvee

I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu and for whatever reason my GPU fans have been acting up. They'll randomly spin up to 100% and no fan controller has any effect on how fast they run. The fans have been consistently running but have never ran as loud/fast as they are now since the upgrade. Tried re-seating it uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but nothing is working. Any ideas?

Edit: Im actually just now noticing some small clicking noises that stop when i touch my fans so there's that 

Maybe try re-applying the GPU's thermal paste, if it does nothing, it still is a good thing to do anyway.

Just joined the forum? Read this:

A Quick Guide To Get Started

Need Help Doing Something? Read this:

Guides & Tutorials Catalog

Need a New SSD? Read this:

Droidbot's SATA3 SSD Tier List

Need a New PSU? Read this:

PSU Tier List

In the mood for some memes? Look at these:

Linus Memes

Want to know my PC Specs and Peripherals?

Spoiler

CPU - Intel Xeon E5 2609 v3     Motherboard - ASRock X99 Extreme3      RAM - 16gb HyperX Fury DDR4      GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 770 SC      

Case - Inwin 103       Storage - HyperX Savage 240gb SSD      PSU - 550W Enermax NAXN      Display(s) - 2x Lenovo L27i-28, Dell 24"      Cooling - Corsair H100i Platinum     Keyboard - Corsair K95 Platinum MX Speed      Mouse - Logitech G900      Sound - Audio Technica ATH-M50x     Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

Join the LTT F@H Team!

You can help scientists studying Alzheimer's, Huntington's, and many cancers by simply running a piece of software on your computer.

Start now: Folding@Home Install Guide and Links

4 minutes ago, adams said:

Maybe try re-applying the GPU's thermal paste, if it does nothing, it still is a good thing to do anyway.

not really sure what that would entail but I guess it's worth looking into, thanks for the suggestion

Try creating a custom fan curve in msi afterburner.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

8 minutes ago, Rasbir Singh said:

Try creating a custom fan curve in msi afterburner.

doing this has no effect, I have absolutely no control over the fan speed at this point and any way I try to change it doesn't do anything. 

Rest of the Rigs specs?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, therealvee said:

doing this has no effect, I have absolutely no control over the fan speed at this point and any way I try to change it doesn't do anything. 

You have some options I can think of:

a) Download Speedfan and try to control the fan with that. Some GPUs report their fan speeds such that speedfan can control them

b) Flash a new GPU BIOS - either the stock or one with a custom fan curve. This is an advanced option that's relatively risky and I don't know the name of the software that allows Maxwell BIOS editing so can't help you much here, but it's an option you have.

c) Can you try to do a fresh install on Windows (not necessarily on your main drive so you don't lose your current) and see if the speed solves itself there? Also keep an eye on temps at all times, try to find a correlation between fans acting up and temperature.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Have you looked at the card in device manager?  See any errors?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

You have some options I can think of:

a) Download Speedfan and try to control the fan with that. Some GPUs report their fan speeds such that speedfan can control them

b) Flash a new GPU BIOS - either the stock or one with a custom fan curve. This is an advanced option that's relatively risky and I don't know the name of the software that allows Maxwell BIOS editing so can't help you much here, but it's an option you have.

c) Can you try to do a fresh install on Windows (not necessarily on your main drive so you don't lose your current) and see if the speed solves itself there? Also keep an eye on temps at all times, try to find a correlation between fans acting up and temperature.

working on these right now, but I have noticed one of the fans is actually running at a lower RPM than the other, still no control over the fans themselves but if I had to guess why it was spinning as fast it's probably because the one fan is trying to cool for two. Working on a warranty claim too cause I feel like it might be that time

2 minutes ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Have you looked at the card in device manager?  See any errors?

everything looks good on that front

Just now, therealvee said:

working on these right now, but I have noticed one of the fans is actually running at a lower RPM than the other, still no control over the fans themselves but if I had to guess why it was spinning as fast it's probably because the one fan is trying to cool for two. Working on a warranty claim too cause I feel like it might be that time

Sounds good, hope the RMA goes easy :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR