TF2 Optimization

AntonChigurh

I play a lot of TF2, and I want to record it so I can post YouTube videos. I currently use Chris's Highframes config, and _kaihud, with a fps cap of 60. Does anyone have any tips on how I could further optimize the game to be more stable but still look good? Configs, command line entries, anything helps.

Specs:

R3 1200 at 3.8ghz w/stock cooler

8gb ddr4 2666mhz RAM

MSI 1050Ti

WD Blue 7200RPM HDD

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Are those framerates not good enough? You should be getting over 100 frames all the time, you're system is way to overkill for that game. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

3 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

Just use Shadowplay or NVENC(?) Encoding in OBS

You don't need to optimize the game. Unless you meant the graphics themselves and forcing them to a higher quality?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Jasun said:

Are those framerates not good enough? You should be getting over 100 frames all the time, you're system is way to overkill for that game. 

My frames are fine in normal gameplay, but I want to record at 1080p 60fps while playing, and I want to optimize for recording.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

My frames are fine in normal gameplay, but I want to record at 1080p 60fps while playing, and I want to optimize for recording.

TF2 should be fine, just optimize the recording software that you're going to use. What recording software are you using? 

Just now, Streetguru said:

Just use Shadowplay or NVENC(?) Encoding in OBS

You don't need to optimize the game. Unless you meant the graphics themselves and forcing them to a higher quality?

NVENC doesn't work in OBS, but I recently switched to shadowplay

And can you force higher quality? I didn't know if that was possible

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Jasun said:

TF2 should be fine, just optimize the recording software that you're going to use. What recording software are you using? 

Shadowplay as of recent, used to use OBS

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, N1ghtshade said:

Shadowplay as of recent, used to use OBS

Why doesn't NVENC work on OBS? Have you updated to the latest OBS Studio/Video Drivers? Also, there are many guides out there on YouTube explain step-by-step on how to optimize OBS for recording. I personally would record using OBS Studio due to more features rather than Shadowplay because it doesn't have as much customization. 

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

NVENC doesn't work in OBS, but I recently switched to shadowplay

And can you force higher quality? I didn't know if that was possible

What do you mean doesn't work? It just shifts the load to your GPU like what shadowplay does.

But ya you don't need to optimize the game or anything, just turn on shadowplay and start recording.

If you meant the encoding settings, just see how high you can push the bitrate before you get frame skips.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Jasun said:

Why doesn't NVENC work on OBS? Have you updated to the latest OBS Studio/Video Drivers? Also, there are many guides out there on YouTube explain step-by-step on how to optimize OBS for recording. I personally would record using OBS Studio due to more features rather than Shadowplay because it doesn't have as much customization. 

I don't have the slightest clue. I'll give you a link to a log file, maybe you can glean something from it I can't. And yes I have, I have the latest version of OBS and the latest drivers.

https://pastebin.com/JGBa7Hfe

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

What do you mean doesn't work? It just shifts the load to your GPU like what shadowplay does.

But ya you don't need to optimize the game or anything, just turn on shadowplay and start recording.

If you meant the encoding settings, just see how high you can push the bitrate before you get frame skips.

It won't start recording when I switch from x264 to NVENC

And alright. I'll see how far I can crank my bitrate

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

2 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I would save the settings somewhere for OBS (picture using your phone, etc.) and reinstall OBS. Seems really odd that it doesn't work but you can always use x264. 

1 minute ago, N1ghtshade said:

Sounds like it's driver related, at least it happened back on the 9xx series

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/cannot-start-recording-with-nvenc.47906/

Or you might be missing something CUDA SDK related

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/740805/nvenc-h-264-encoder-initialization-failed/

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Sounds like it's driver related, at least it happened back on the 9xx series

https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/cannot-start-recording-with-nvenc.47906/

Or you might be missing something CUDA SDK related

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/740805/nvenc-h-264-encoder-initialization-failed/

Damn ok

12 minutes ago, Jasun said:

I would save the settings somewhere for OBS (picture using your phone, etc.) and reinstall OBS. Seems really odd that it doesn't work but you can always use x264. 

I would use x264, but it's not nearly as stable

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

4 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

I would use x264, but it's not nearly as stable

I guess your only other option (unless you want to use some other recording software that isn't as good as OBS) is to use Shadowplay. I personally love shadowplay because it allows you to play your game with minimal framedrops due to the optimization behind the program and the usage to the GPU instead of to the CPU. The only thing I dislike is that it has limited customization capacities. After all of this, I would recommend you fix your NVENC issue (somehow...) or just stick with shadowplay. ;)

5 minutes ago, N1ghtshade said:

1 minute ago, Jasun said:

Or drop $300 in april to get an R7 2700, ez fix.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Jasun said:

I guess your only other option (unless you want to use some other recording software that isn't as good as OBS) is to use Shadowplay. I personally love shadowplay because it allows you to play your game with minimal framedrops due to the optimization behind the program and the usage to the GPU instead of to the CPU. The only thing I dislike is that it has limited customization capacities. After all of this, I would recommend you fix your NVENC issue (somehow...) or just stick with shadowplay. ;)

Alright. Will do! Thanks for all the help

2 hours ago, Streetguru said:

Or drop $300 in april to get an R7 2700, ez fix.

Sheesh I don't have that kind of money. Maybe when i'm less hard up for cash I will

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540