Help with monitor set up

Steakpai

So right now I have a 4k monitor (LG 24UD58) sandwiched between 2 1080p monitos (Benq XL2420te) and all are connected to my machine via display port cables. I was wondering if there was a way I could go home and plug a single cable into my laptop and be able to use all 3 monitors without having to remove them from my machine. I've looked up KVM switches but its really important for me to keep running each monitor on its max refresh rate. 144hz for the 1080p ones and 60hz for the 4k one. I know its a tall order but if there is a way I'd like to know about it.

If I'm not mistaken your setup would require ~24.5 Gb/s of bandwidth, which is doable on DP 1.3 and above, so it's theoretically possible.  However, you would need to basically find a dock that lets you plug the monitors into it, and then you plug it into your PC.  I suspect that technically it would use thunderbolt, not DP for the single cable connection to the PC, so you'll need support for that.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Hmmm. I don't think my laptop can handle thunderbolt. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Is there a way to do it through multiple cables though? And switch them through a physical button? I'm not sure if KVM switches are what I'm describing. I have zero experience doing this sort of thing

Are you saying you want the laptop to span all 3 monitors? I would have thought you would need an external hardware device for that for a laptop.

Other options:

• Just remote into the laptop from your PC.
  • Add another cable to one of the monitors. Plug it into the laptop and switch the monitor input.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

1 hour ago, Steakpai said:

Hmmm. I don't think my laptop can handle thunderbolt. I guess it just wasn't meant to be. Is there a way to do it through multiple cables though? And switch them through a physical button? I'm not sure if KVM switches are what I'm describing. I have zero experience doing this sort of thing

I think it would be possible with the right KVM, assuming your laptop has a video output for each of these monitors, but I doubt that's the case

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.