Is my Consumer PC upgradable ?

Hi Everyone, First post here so I might not be in the right place to ask but I need help to know what things can or cannot do with my consumer Acer Aspire PC. I bought this PC a long time ago (When Windows 8 just came out for Home PC) and I was not a techy dude at the time (not much more now but I know a lot more thanx to Linus and some others). Thing is its an Acer IPIMB - AR rev 1.02A motherboard with an Intel core I7 3770 CPU a Nvidia GeForce GT640 GPU and 8GB of DDR3 Ram. Imstill very new to Tech and I wanted to know if  I can even upgrade things on this motherboard; although I got 1 HDMI and 1 VGA port which aren't connected to the GPU and for now are pretty useless. My Goal with this Rig is to get a "decent" Streaming PC while I'll make a new build later on for a dedicated professional on rack streaming PC for a professional usage. This one can be my "backup" PC for streaming events. I already stream on this PC but not fancy 3D full of graphics games. And other question, can I keep my OS and data and transfer them to a more modern PCB? IMG_1303.thumb.JPG.8f381d1e649a6a4161a6876b79707d1d.JPGIMG_1304.thumb.JPG.7c99cbfb77f8d764091efa4bd6bb2dcd.JPGIMG_1302.thumb.JPG.c107cb33e36a8f58d44757612824fb11.JPGIMG_1303.thumb.JPG.8f381d1e649a6a4161a6876b79707d1d.JPGIMG_1302.thumb.JPG.c107cb33e36a8f58d44757612824fb11.JPG

If you want to stream and game on the machine at the same time I would suggest that you get a new system as the CPU is old and it's only a quad core. if you want to use it as a machine dedicated to encoding the stream and a second pc somewhere else to take the stream footage on it could be possible.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That mobo appears to take standard ATX power connectors, so you should be able to upgrade GPU/PSU pretty easily without changing boards. As far as upgrading mobos are concerned, you'd need to reinstall windows and get a new key (you can get one on ebay for £4).

You could probably stream esports games with a GPU upgrade on that i7.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

1 minute ago, ibabyslapper said:

That mobo appears to take standard ATX power connectors, so you should be able to upgrade GPU/PSU pretty easily without changing boards. As far as upgrading mobos are concerned, you'd need to reinstall windows and get a new key (you can get one on ebay for £4)

Just out of curiosity: is it possible to install a new CPU (that supports the socket) in the system and still have windows working?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, simonbyrial said:

Just out of curiosity: is it possible to install a new CPU (that supports the socket) in the system and still have windows working?

AFAIK the license is linked to the motherboard, so yeah that should be possible.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

Just now, simonbyrial said:

Yeah, windows keys are linked to motherboards, so you can change CPUs as often as you want. Windows installs are usually okay as long as you stay on the same chipset/socket, but W10 will demand another key.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

My plan here is to stream Console games mostly. I'm not very into AAA gaming whatsoever. So you think the motherboard won't accept other CPU ? I wish I could upgrade the i7 to a more recent one.. If ist not possible its okay as I said this should be a backup Streaming PC in the future and my Browsing machine. Also its running Windows 7 just for info.

1 minute ago, Bobigno said:

My plan here is to stream Console games mostly. I'm not very into AAA gaming whatsoever. So you think the motherboard won't accept other CPU ? I wish I could upgrade the i7 to a more recent one.. If ist not possible its okay as I said this should be a backup Streaming PC in the future and my Browsing machine. Also its running Windows 7 just for info.

If you want to upgrade the CPU to a more recent one you would have to change the motherboard too as the socket doesn't support newer CPUs. The socket supports up to 3000 series Intel CPUs...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay so never mind the CPU That should be ok to stream Console Games and indie Titles. which graphic card would you recommend getting the extra VGA and HDMI output I want? And also can I get an SSD for  Windows so it won't take ages to boot?

Anyway, Thx all for all your responses. :D  I'm glad this community is that reactive! ^^

13 minutes ago, Bobigno said:

Okay so never mind the CPU That should be ok to stream Console Games and indie Titles. which graphic card would you recommend getting the extra VGA and HDMI output I want? And also can I get an SSD for  Windows so it won't take ages to boot?

12 minutes ago, Bobigno said:

Anyway, Thx all for all your responses. :D  I'm glad this community is that reactive! ^^

If you only are going to be playing not-so-demanding Indie titles i would suggest a GTX 1050 Ti or a 1060 3GB to be on the safe side :) as for the SSD how much space would you like. I would assume that it runs on the SATA interface?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Your CPU is already the top of the line. Cannot upgrade cpu without change motherboard.

I would add 8gb more memory, change the gpu and add ssd.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

13 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Your CPU is already the top of the line. Cannot upgrade cpu without change motherboard.

I would add 8gb more memory, change the gpu and add ssd.

That was kinda what i figured out thx to you all :D

If you don't mind minor deterioration of stream quality then just use NVENC or QSV encoders which use the hardware encoding chips on Nvidia GPUs and Intel CPUs. 

As long as you have a capture card, you should be good for streaming console games easily. Even some harder games would be fine on this hardware while streaming.. (once upgraded so you can use NVENC, at least.)

All SSDs will work with your system as long as they are SATA 2.5in SSDs. M.2 form factor drives will work with an adapter, but only the SATA type. NVMe is out of the question, but you won't gain from raw boot time with that anyway. 

For GPUs, I'd recommend a 1050Ti or a 1060 3/6GB (both will require PSU upgrade, go into the Power and Case section and check the Tier list for some recommendations). Both will handle NVENC for if you need it. 

idk

15 minutes ago, simonbyrial said:

If you only are going to be playing not-so-demanding Indie titles i would suggest a GTX 1050 Ti or a 1060 3GB to be on the safe side :) as for the SSD how much space would you like. I would assume that it runs on the SATA interface?

I will defiantly check on these GPU Thx :D For the SSD I only want Windows on it and maybe streaming stuff so I can access things like Layout vids and everything I need for streaming on the SSD and have a copy on the hard drive for storage only. 

2 minutes ago, Bobigno said:

I will defiantly check on these GPU Thx :D For the SSD I only want Windows on it and maybe streaming stuff so I can access things like Layout vids and everything I need for streaming on the SSD and have a copy on the hard drive for storage only. 

From that description i would suggest a Kingston SSDNow A400 120GB

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

If you don't mind minor deterioration of stream quality then just use NVENC or QSV encoders which use the hardware encoding chips on Nvidia GPUs and Intel CPUs. 

As long as you have a capture card, you should be good for streaming console games easily. Even some harder games would be fine on this hardware while streaming.. 

All SSDs will work with your system as long as they are SATA 2.5in SSDs. M.2 form factor drives will work with an adapter, but only the SATA type. NVMe is out of the question, but you won't gain from raw boot time with that anyway. 

For GPUs, I'd recommend a 1050Ti or a 1060 3/6GB (both will require PSU upgrade, go into the Power and Case section and check the Tier list for some recommendations). Both will handle NVENC for if you need it. 

Thx for the pieces of advice, I will definitely check for these items ;) I'll probably tell  you guys what I want to buy so you can see if it's coherent with my needs. Till then a huge thx for you all <3

12 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

No. No, no, no, no. 

Shit drive. It's faster than a HDD but drives like the https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K8A29BE/?tag=pcpapi-20 run rings around that. 

Is that in terms of random read/write performance?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, simonbyrial said:

Is that in terms of random read/write performance?

Both sequential and 4k QD32. 

idk

One quick question how can i use this HDMI port and this VGA? the ones in black on the I/O Shield

IMG_1304.JPG

IMG_1306.JPG

Its integrated in the motherboard. You would have to enable it in the BOIS...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, simonbyrial said:

Its integrated in the motherboard. You would have to enable it in the BOIS...

Oh okay, :Dso I only need a 2 HDMI output GPU or a 1 HDMI 1DP?  My goal is to have a triple monitor setup: One for Chat one for Xsplit and the last one for everything else Browsing and games if I stream PC Game.

1 minute ago, Bobigno said:

Oh okay, :Dso I only need a 2 HDMI output GPU or a 1 HDMI 1DP?  My goal is to have a triple monitor setup: One for Chat one for Xsplit and the last one for everything else Browsing and games if I stream PC Game.

If you want 2 monitors for chat and stream monitoring and one for gaming a HDMI splitter for the chat and streaming screens could be an option.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

If I have a display port and 2 HDMI supported why would I take a splitter?  I can already have 3 monitors rn by enabling the mobo HDMI and VGA output. Or I'm missing something?