HI and a game design question??

thegodgibo

Hi everyone, 

New to the forum so not too sure as to where to post this, so safest bet i presume is here, anyway, i am starting university in September to study game design, ill be using software such as 3ds max and unity. I was wondering if anyone would be ale to recommend a system spec that is able to handle the load of 3d modelling, texturing and all of the other lovely things. currently running a gtx 1050ti and an i3-3240, 8gb ram and a 120gb Kingston SSDnow  (upgrading soon hence why im posting).

Any help is appreciated 

Much Thanks:)

Should of posted in new builds and planning, posting in off topic makes it so less people will see the post as it won’t show in the recent section. 

From what I know, game design doesn't include all that much 3D modeling, at least not the type where you will need like a CAD workstation.

Chances are what you already got will be fine. I recommend you assess what you will actually need a bit more before making any decisions.

Also, I strongly recommend you come up with a budget. It will be much easier for the folks trying to help you if they know what level you can afford.

Thanks LAwLz, My course revolves around 3D modelling and Asset creation? all the way through the 3 years, as for budget im looking at around 1000GBP, if i can Incorperate what i have at the minute even better, although i might add that when i try to do any form of modelling on my current set up i experience severe lag, black screen, then blue screen, then reboot. I put it down to power drawing issues. 

i'd bump to an i5, maybe double up on ram, depending on budget, but my biggest recommendation is storage. 3d modeling and cad files are GIGANTIC, that little 120 isn't gonna hold up. Get a 2 TB HDD at 7200 or 10000 RPM, they're not too expensive

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.