Asus Zephyrus - Should I pull the trigger?

Been planning to buy my first gaming laptop. I have seen the zephyrus and i have instantly fell in love with it. But I have these cons(personal) that kept me hesitating.

-price ( i can afford the price, but is it too much of an investment? Im just trying to be smart... )

-storage (how many NEW AAA games can i have in a 512gb space)

I obviously want a laptop that wont get outdated on me in long time hardware-wise (1080).

Any suggestion? Considering the feats that i love about this laptop

-design... man i dig the design of the zephyrus. The orange highlight and opening panel at the bottom sucks me in so much. Not to mention the powerful hardware.

ma spoder senz iz tingling...

Laptops seem to become outdated even faster than desktops so I wouldn't buy one with futureproofness in mind

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Yeah. I would agree on this. What i mean is . 1080 is top of the line currently. Im looking at this for say 2 to hopwfully 3 years proofed from now.

ma spoder senz iz tingling...

at this point if u have that much money, wait for a long battery life hexa core coffee lake with tb3 and go for that. egpu seems to be far more stable now. i have slowly phased out my beasts for convenience.

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p

7 minutes ago, spoder-man said:

Been planning to buy my first gaming laptop. I have seen the zephyrus and i have instantly fell in love with it. But I have these cons(personal) that kept me hesitating.

-price ( i can afford the price, but is it too much of an investment? Im just trying to be smart... )

-storage (how many NEW AAA games can i have in a 512gb space)

I obviously want a laptop that wont get outdated on me in long time hardware-wise (1080).

Any suggestion? Considering the feats that i love about this laptop

-design... man i dig the design of the zephyrus. The orange highlight and opening panel at the bottom sucks me in so much. Not to mention the powerful hardware.

Price - like Linus always say, get the best you can for the budget you have that meet your needs, if this is it, then go for it.

Storage - AAA titles I would estimate somewhere between 5-10 games, but should not be too difficult putting your Steam library on an external SSD when the time comes and you run out.

Design - well Im pretty sure you wont find any other that looks like this

A wise choice and smart investment? Well, kind of sounds like you already made up your mind and it is a balling machine, just don't expect it to be the top of the line for very long (like a year or so)

My Gaming PC: 27833

1 minute ago, Pendragon said:

wait for a long battery life hexa core coffee lake with tb3

I definitely agree with that. You can still upgrade the GPU later if it's external, and a six-core will probably get you far.

I love Small Form factor ITX rigs.

3 hours ago, spoder-man said:

wont get outdated on me in long time hardware-wise (1080).

Get a desktop replacement laptop like P775TM. Desktop CPU and MXM GPU.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

I have had my Zephyrus since December. And in all honesty, i love the thing. Many people complain about the 1080 not be a full 1080 and i fully agree with them! But, i have mine as my on the go laptop since i tend to travel for work alot. It plays anything i can throw at it rather well and, the main reason i bought it, its very light to carry around. Hell, i end up keeping it in my work bag with my work laptop and i have no complaints!

I agree with the buy whatever you can afford. If you need a powerful and light laptop right now then i would go ahead and pull the trigger. But, if the appeal of the new coffee lake CPUs coming to the mobile world appeals to you and what you will be doing with the laptop then hold tight. Either way i dont think you are making a wrong choice...in my opinion of course!