Ping spikes

PcMasterRaceNewborn

So I usually get a ping of around 30 mbps. However, sometimes (actually, around once every 5 to 10 minutes) my ping jumps up too 200, 300 sometimes even 1000 ping. My PC is just too far away from my router so I need to use one of those powerline adapters to use ethernet but I DO use ethernet. This is a problem only my PC gets. Everyone else in this house gets constantly good ping. I tried turning off the fridge (because apparently that helps your powerline adapter work better) but that didn't really help. If anyone knows a solution to this, please help. Getting a new router or something along those lines isn't an option for me by the way.

What powerline kit are you using? Some of them are considerably more sensitive to the "quality" of the power in your home. If it was consistently bad, i'd say your router pc may be an issue, but with it being intermittent it makes me think the power in your home isn't great.

don't get wifi as it'll be worse, can't you get a long ftp cable? or utp if distance is less than 10m

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

If you're having these issues, I'd say try a different set of powerline adapters from another brand. Just nip in to Currys and grab a different set, give it a go. If it's still no good, take it back and then look at getting a wifi adapter.

It might be just that's a duff adapter.

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

don't get wifi as it'll be worse, can't you get a long ftp cable? or utp if distance is less than 10m

well, my pc is probably like 20m away from the router and I don't want my ethernet cable to cause a massacre in my house by tripping people down the stairs.

1 minute ago, butler1233 said:

If you're having these issues, I'd say try a different set of powerline adapters from another brand. Just nip in to Currys and grab a different set, give it a go. If it's still no good, take it back and then look at getting a wifi adapter.

It might be just that's a duff adapter.

Isn't there another way, apart from basically buying like 5 different adapters and giving them all back?

4 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

Ethernet distance is not limited by the shielding or lack thereof on a cable. The shielding or lack thereof is only useful if you're running next to very powerful electrical lines or bundles of other cables.

UTP or STP are both 100meters and this is due to spec and not the cable.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

so basically, I can get wifi?

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Ethernet distance is not limited by the shielding or lack thereof on a cable. The shielding or lack thereof is only useful if you're running next to very powerful electrical lines or bundles of other cables.

UTP or STP are both 100meters and this is due to spec and not the cable.

1 minute ago, PcMasterRaceNewborn said:

Isn't there another way, apart from basically buying like 5 different adapters and giving them all back?

Yeah, you could always buy one of these, but otherwise that's probably your best option for troubleshooting the issue.

Although you could try using somebody else's PC or laptop wired with your powerline adapter, see if they have the same issue.

Just now, PcMasterRaceNewborn said:

so basically, I can get wifi?

Depends, how much interference from other wifi signals and also, how many walls and what type of walls (sheetrock, brick, lead lined, etc.)

You can download a wifi analyzer app on your phone and see what the different channels look like and then set your router to the least congested one.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

My router is also pretty far from my PC and I have an USB WIFI adapter. My ping is around 60, but when I torrent something it can rise from 150 to whopping 800 where I have to pause the download

4 minutes ago, butler1233 said:

Yeah, you could always buy one of these, but otherwise that's probably your best option for troubleshooting the issue.

Although you could try using somebody else's PC or laptop wired with your powerline adapter, see if they have the same issue.

oh, I forgot to say. I tried using someone's laptop with the powerline adapter. It worked fine.

1 minute ago, PcMasterRaceNewborn said:

oh, I forgot to say. I tried using someone's laptop with the powerline adapter. It worked fine.

How were you measuring the pings on each device?

Also it might be that something on your PC (like Windows 10 telemetry) is using your network connection on your PC, meaning that your other applications may struggle

1 minute ago, butler1233 said:

How were you measuring the pings on each device?

Also it might be that something on your PC (like Windows 10 telemetry) is using your network connection on your PC, meaning that your other applications may struggle

I use windows 7 so I doubt telemetry would be an issue. AMD Quick Stream isn't an issue either

should I give you my specs in case there is a problem there?

I was measuring the pings on each device with different games like CSGO, Rust, League of Legends, Fortnite

Just now, PcMasterRaceNewborn said:

I use windows 7 so I doubt telemetry would be an issue. AMD Quick Stream isn't an issue either

should I give you my specs in case there is a problem there?

I was measuring the pings on each device with different games like CSGO, Rust, League of Legends, Fortnite

You need to use the same thing for measuring to eliminate variation. Online games are not a reliable way to measure pings, as it can be affected heavily by other players and how well the game is written. Using different games skews it even further.

Also if you're keeping up with your updates, then telemetry is definitely still an issue, though is less defined.

If you're still having issues and you want to troubleshoot now, move your PC close to your router and plug it in directly and see if you still have issues. Also try different ethernet cables. If you're still having issues then, its probably your PC. At that point I'd suggest buying a USB ethernet adapter and see if that helps. They're also handy to keep around anyway

I didn't just plug them in and play a game once in each of them. I did the 'troubleshooting' over a few months, switching between my laptop and PC for around a year.

Just now, butler1233 said:

You need to use the same thing for measuring to eliminate variation. Online games are not a reliable way to measure pings, as it can be affected heavily by other players and how well the game is written. Using different games skews it even further.

Also if you're keeping up with your updates, then telemetry is definitely still an issue, though is less defined.

If you're still having issues and you want to troubleshoot now, move your PC close to your router and plug it in directly and see if you still have issues. Also try different ethernet cables. If you're still having issues then, its probably your PC. At that point I'd suggest buying a USB ethernet adapter and see if that helps. They're also handy to keep around anyway