Computer randomly freezing when browsing or downloading via torrent

Hey guys. So I lurked around the forum and online, but couldn't find a solution.

For the last two years, my computer has been randomly freezing, whenever I would watch YouTube videos or download something VIA torrent. It would happen very infrequently, so it wasn't a big issue. 

As of recently, my computer freezes whenever I open any browser.

I read online, that I could be my SSD, but it happens even if I unplug the SSD and boot of of a HDD. Gaming seems fine, no matter what the game is. Or how intensive it is. Copying files seems normal. 

I don't get a BSOD, no spike in cpu/ram usage, nothing. Just freezes, mouse/keyboard don't respond. Doesn't unfreeze (left it overnight).

Here's what I've tried:

1. Reinstalling windows. (Clean install)

2. booting of a different hard drive

3. Reseating RAM

4. Updating all the drivers

5. Reseating everything (reassembling the PC.

6. Removing the SSD or hard drive completely, to make sure it's not one of them.

7. AV/Malwarebytes scan

8. Turning it on and off again

Here are the specs:

MB: Asus P8z77-v

Cpu: core i3 (2130? I wanna say)

Cooler: overkill cooler master

PSU: cooler master 570w

RAM Kingston HyperX 8gb 4GBx2

Video card: Nvidia GTX 650

SSD: 120GB Kingston 300 series (system)

HDD: WD green 1 TB

HDD: Hitachi 500 GB (system for testing)

Everything works like a charm in safe mode (with network driver support)

Haven't had a single problem.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's a picture of ResMon in a frozen state.

IMG_20180308_102500.jpg

18 minutes ago, sergnoff said:

Hey guys. So I lurked around the forum and online, but couldn't find a solution.

For the last two years, my computer has been randomly freezing, whenever I would watch YouTube videos or download something VIA torrent. It would happen very infrequently, so it wasn't a big issue. 

I read online, that I could be my SSD, but it happens even if I unplug the SSD and boot of of a HDD. Gaming seems fine, no matter what the game is. Or how intensive it is. Copying files seems normal. 

I don't get a BSOD, no spike in cpu/ram usage, nothing. Just freezes, mouse/keyboard don't respond. Doesn't unfreeze (left it overnight).

Here's what I've tried:

3. Reseating RAM

6. Removing the SSD or hard drive completely, to make sure it's not one of them.

7. AV/Malwarebytes scan

Here are the specs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1658023/suddenly-firefox-chrome-crashes-computer.html

Does this sound like your issue?

Just now, sergnoff said:

I'll give this a try, but I doubt this is the issue, as it happens in IE as well.

You said that even in games and other applications you're 100% stable, but ONLY in browsers you crash?

NEXT, when you say crash, do you mean the system blue screens (BSOD)? Does it just turn black and the PC reboots? Does it just say (example) "Chrome.exe has stopped working", etc?

13 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

You said that even in games and other applications you're 100% stable, but ONLY in browsers you crash?

NEXT, when you say crash, do you mean the system blue screens (BSOD)? Does it just turn black and the PC reboots? Does it just say (example) "Chrome.exe has stopped working", etc?

I freeze when:

Browsing

Downloading torrent

Downloading a game in steam.

Games and other applications (blender, lightroom, Photoshop) I seem to be stable

Freeze, as in, mouse and keyboard don't respond, if I'm watching a YouTube video, the picture and sounds freezes and the sound glitches out in to a buzz. Nothing helps, except reset button.

Just now, sergnoff said:

I freeze when:

Browsing

Downloading torrent

Downloading a game in steam.

Games and other applications (blender, lightroom, Photoshop) I seem to be stable

Freeze, as in, mouse and keyboard don't respond, if I'm watching a YouTube video, the picture and sounds freezes and the sound glitches out in to a buzz. Nothing helps, except reset button.

But the system does NOT shut down unless you do it? How old are all your components? When did this begin?

Just now, CrippledROBOT said:

But the system does NOT shut down unless you do it? How old are all your components? When did this begin?

The system does not shut down. The monitors freeze, sound freezes, all inputs freeze.

Components are pretty old. I assembled the computer about 4-5 years ago. I'd say it's got around 11 thousand hours of up time. I noticed the first freezes around two years ago.

2 minutes ago, sergnoff said:

The system does not shut down. The monitors freeze, sound freezes, all inputs freeze.

Components are pretty old. I assembled the computer about 4-5 years ago. I'd say it's got around 11 thousand hours of up time. I noticed the first freezes around two years ago.

hmmm, you've got me stumped here. It sounds like a failing piece of hardware.As for what specifically, I am not sure... Did you run a Windows Memory Diagnostic?

4 minutes ago, CrippledROBOT said:

hmmm, you've got me stumped here. It sounds like a failing piece of hardware.As for what specifically, I am not sure... Did you run a Windows Memory Diagnostic?

Ran memtest. Everything checks out OK.

I'm stumped as well. Been trying to figure this crap out for two months now

1 minute ago, sergnoff said:

Ran memtest. Everything checks out OK.

I'm stumped as well. Been trying to figure this crap out for two months now

Oh, yes, and I did run WMD too. Showed no issues after like 15 passes.

19 minutes ago, sergnoff said:

Oh, yes, and I did run WMD too. Showed no issues after like 15 passes.

Do you have another PSU that you can test?

Bad network controller and/or drivers? Not exactly common for this to cause crashes, but it would make sense in light of the fact that the crashes happen when you're using a lot of network bandwidth.

9 hours ago, CrippledROBOT said:

Do you have another PSU that you can test?

Unfortunately, I don't. I'm on a very tight budget.

8 hours ago, Apepa said:

Bad network controller and/or drivers? Not exactly common for this to cause crashes, but it would make sense in light of the fact that the crashes happen when you're using a lot of network bandwidth.

Not drivers for sure. I tried every single lan driver from the Asus website

Oh, and everything works fine in safe mode.

1 hour ago, sergnoff said:

Not drivers for sure. I tried every single lan driver from the Asus website

Yeah, I wouldn't trust drivers to be bug-free just because they came from the Asus website. You can get the most recent drivers directly from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY

9 hours ago, Apepa said:

Yeah, I wouldn't trust drivers to be bug-free just because they came from the Asus website. You can get the most recent drivers directly from Intel:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/52963/Intel-82579V-Gigabit-Ethernet-PHY

Thanks for the heads up! Unfortunately, drivers from intel didnt solve the issue.

If the same activities that are causing the issue in normal mode are not causing it to happen in safe mode with networking, I would start looking at programs you have installed first.  First thing to try, If you have an antivirus/firewall installed, remove it.  To be sure it's gone completely, use the removal tool provided by the vendor of the software.  Misbehaving antivirus/firewall software can cause all sorts of odd issues including freezes like you have described.

8 hours ago, Tadrith said:

If the same activities that are causing the issue in normal mode are not causing it to happen in safe mode with networking, I would start looking at programs you have installed first.  First thing to try, If you have an antivirus/firewall installed, remove it.  To be sure it's gone completely, use the removal tool provided by the vendor of the software.  Misbehaving antivirus/firewall software can cause all sorts of odd issues including freezes like you have described.

Hi, Tadrith. Unfortunately that's not the case, as I have reinstalled windows, and there are no programs installed.

On 3/7/2018 at 4:22 PM, sergnoff said:

Here's what I've tried:

3. Reseating RAM

7. AV/Malwarebytes scan

Here are the specs:

Everything works like a charm in safe mode (with network driver support)

Haven't had a single problem.

Here's a picture of ResMon in a frozen state.

IMG_20180308_102500.jpg

Stop using torrents immediately.

Haven't you heard of all of the horrible crypto mining bugs you can get by using sites like the pirate bay to download torrents?

It's a minefield out there with this torrent stuff.

You should be getting your games and stuff the legit way anyways.

Either way, reinstall windows.

It's the only way to be sure you caught everything it could have been if it is some kind of malware.

• 5 years later...

So I was going crazy for the last couple week because I all of a sudden started getting the EXACT same issue. Torrent clients would freeze my PC (Mouse/KB) in the same way, youtube, twitter videos, even MS edge and Teams would do it. I made all the checks you did, changed settings in BIOS, was out of my mind because the PC is new (less than a year old) and runs any game I want on highest details but couldn't run fucking youtube normally.

Then I read this:

https://www.makeuseof.com/windows-10-watching-videos-freeze/

Step number 4 seems to have solved it for me: Increase virtual memory.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but this thing was driving me so mad I had to post a solution for anyone who encounters this in the future.

Screenshot 2023-10-09 113101.png