Computer can't reach the desktop...

Go to solution Solved by LordMMX,

i think if you force reboot it 2-3 times while it boots (on boot logo) it will go to recovery mode where you can force windows to return to pre-update state and ignore that update. not a Win10 user though so I can't tell you more.

Hello,

My gaming computer is kinda stuck in a loop of constant restarts.  After the last Windows Update, it had to shut down and restart several times to apply the update.  When it was completed, the final restart landed on the Windows logo and an error message stating, "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation." I press enter, then the computer restarts and the same error message appears.  I simply cannot reach the desk top...

I'm running Windows 10 (64bit) on my rig which features the following:

Intel i5-4690k

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard

MSI GTX 970

16 gigs Corsair Vengeance RAM

2 TB WD Black 

EVGA 750W psi

I'm not sure what all matters here, but I wanted to give ya the full picture. I appreciate any help ya might give me.

Trent

i think if you force reboot it 2-3 times while it boots (on boot logo) it will go to recovery mode where you can force windows to return to pre-update state and ignore that update. not a Win10 user though so I can't tell you more.

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

22 minutes ago, LordMMX said:

Done this plenty of times, unless you have a USB to boot to. If you cannot reach even the login screen, you'll have to do what LordMMX stated or use installation media to recover or reinstall.

Well, I got it restarted in recovery mode, but it didn't want to reset to the previous version of Windows. At least now I can doing something though. It's currently doing a system reset, not to worry (almost all my Steam games are backed up externally).  Thanks for the help guys.