Retro Water cooled laptop?

LordMMX

According to this article, http://www.hitachi.com/New/cnews/E/2002/0717/index.html , Hitachi made water cooled laptop back in Pentium 4 days. I would love to see it in LTT video review.

Daewoo Lanos 1.5L 8V, 1998, green = Better graphics than NFS in VR. 

Otherwise my daily rig is some oem pcchips motherboard with intel 486-dx2 in it overclocked to 100mhz and watercooled with astonishing 24MB RAM and superb S3 Virge DX graphics with 4MB of VRAM for best performance in heavy 3D apps and games and with 850mb WD Caviar 4200RPM HDD for maximum storage space and speed.

Running  Windows 95 OSR2.5 with IE4 for amazing internet browsing experience

all this in glorious desktop case in elephant bone color. 

Thats definitely cool for the passive water cooled factor, but i really dont get why it exists otherwise lmao

My Thinkpad G40 has a 70w socket 478 pentium 4 inside of it as well from a year later, not a P4-M, and runs passively under 55c and then only has one low rpm fan speed when above 55c, and i doesnt even hit 65

specccccy.jpg.8f31c948529841ea703d65c57f0b7de1.jpg

Other than the cool factor, i can see why it didnt sell well.

Those old Flora laptops were super cool in their time though, they really have that early 2000's vibe about them, just coming out of the 90's and needing that new design with lots of silver and round edges and shit. They also had a "bent hole".

20090928070016cont6.thumb.jpg.7636ff412dc5bdaa4c50e416d96bb490.jpg

i actually looked into this a bit more beacuse it was like "well my g40 is about equally as rare and similar in age, how expensive can it be?"

like, hell, id drop 200$ tops on something this old and cool, my g40 was about 100$ total with upgrades

oh boi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/152831382925

as it turns out, not only are these significantly more rare than my g40, and the niche market that bought them back in the day were server farms using them as terminals

i saw like one article on this market, their cooling works a lot better in the general hot server environment compared to conventional air cooling, so they were really popular as terminals

like any industrial/server/business specific hardware, when they gotta replace it, they buy the same thing, hence why finding one now its marketed towards server farms and costs a fortune

(same reason NEC PC's cost so much for any retro tech enthusiasts here, i used to work on CNC machines that all ran 9801's that were directly replaced instead of upgraded when they failed)