XFX R7970 DD GHz idle heat problem?

Scorpi_Be

Hello, I recently bought the XFX 7970 double dissipation GHz edition card, also because of the hot deals of AMD Never Settle bundle :)

But my problem now is the idle heat of this card, i currently use 2 screens on that card.. main screen: iiyama 26inch (1920x1200) and second: acer 19inch (1280x1024)

but only with my main screen connected my gpu is about 36 to 40°c idle and with second screen attached idle temps are about 52c°, when the card is on load 100% the temps are pretty stable in about 70 to 75c° but i'm getting worried about high idle temps with that second screen because i've heard this reduces the life span of the card a bit?

Can someone please explain? Thanks!

System specs:

AMD phenom 2 1090t @stock clocks

8gb of kingston hyperx genesis 1600mhz ram

Asus crosshair v formula

Corsair GS800W.

First off make sure you're using the newest drivers for the card which is the Catalyst Software Suite 13.1

I'm running a 32inch 1920x1080 screen and a 1600x1050 screen of the exact same card with idle temps at 30-35c so your temps are beyond extreme for idle.

Another thing is make sure in the the Catalyst settings don't have your GPU being overclocked. I've never seen the software do it on its own but my catalyst likes to randomly put on manual fan speeds which is quite the bother.

Edit:on that note my card under full stress hit about 60-65 average with some little jump to 70ish

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

First off make sure you're using the newest drivers for the card which is the Catalyst Software Suite 13.1 I'm running a 32inch 1920x1080 screen and a 1600x1050 screen of the exact same card with idle temps at 30-35c so your temps are beyond extreme for idle. Another thing is make sure in the the Catalyst settings don't have your GPU being overclocked. I've never seen the software do it on its own but my catalyst likes to randomly put on manual fan speeds which is quite the bother. Edit:on that note my card under full stress hit about 60-65 average with some little jump to 70ish

I'm using the latest drivers 13.2 (beta) and with 13.1 was just the same, also i let the catalyst center do the autofan, witch it fine, also running msi afterburner just to check temps on background, no overclocking is done on this card, its factory overclocked, but like i said with 1 screen idle temps are good its just when the second is connected.

not to steal your thread but i am having the same problems also with my card which is an MSI Radeon HD 7950 twin frozr 3. When only my main screen (asus 22'' 1920x1080) is connected my GPU idles around 33-34c and then i have another lower end monitor that is 1280x1024 and my idle goes up to 42c. i know the stock factory overclock is suppose to be 880Mhz but i got a card that is 960Mhz but when it idles it runs at 300Mhz with one screen and 500Mhz with two screens. would this cause a problem?

CPU: Intel core i5 3570 Motherboard: Gigabyte-H77-DS3H Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB  GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr III Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB  PSU: Seasonic G Series 550W

Acer Aspire S7 Overview Sennheiser PC360

not to steal your thread but i am having the same problems also with my card which is an MSI Radeon HD 7950 twin frozr 3. When only my main screen (asus 22'' 1920x1080) is connected my GPU idles around 33-34c and then i have another lower end monitor that is 1280x1024 and my idle goes up to 42c. i know the stock factory overclock is suppose to be 880Mhz but i got a card that is 960Mhz but when it idles it runs at 300Mhz with one screen and 500Mhz with two screens. would this cause a problem?

weird.. also my card also runs idle @500mhz also with 2 screens it need to process more pixels but that was neither a problem with my previous cards.

When ever you have two monitors connected the idle temps will be higher.

Idle temps mean nothing. It's load temps that count.

The temp goes up because the memory isn't idling. Because the memory isn't idling, the core voltage isn't offsetting even though the core has been at idle the whole time.

Don't worry about it, who's going to be using the same video card in ten years anyway?

When ever you have two monitors connected the idle temps will be higher. Idle temps mean nothing. It's load temps that count. The temp goes up because the memory isn't idling. Because the memory isn't idling' date=' the core voltage isn't offsetting even though the core has been at idle the whole time. Don't worry about it, who's going to be using the same video card in ten years anyway? [/quote']

Thanks for the info, but its still weird, i haven't gotten that with other cards that i had.

Set a fan curve in MSI afterburner if you want to adjust your fan speeds in order to make the idle temps lower.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Set a fan curve in MSI afterburner if you want to adjust your fan speeds in order to make the idle temps lower.

I know that might help, but to get good idle temps i need to turn my fan pretty high and it's making me crazy that way