RAW HADD STILL GOOD?

SINCLR

Hey guys, 

Was playing around with my multiplug powerboard  the other day and fritzed the socket my externals plug was plugged...oops .. 

Anyway...long story short - dismantled the hdd as it would not power on - chucked her in the rigg via sata and she was alive BUT raw...after recovering all our kids baby photos and videos...(yes i narrowly avoided being murdered)

one by one...handful by handful copying them off the drive as i did not has the extra space to copy the whole lot at once and since no file names....TEDIOUS!! ...

Formatted the drive - All up and running.

BUT IS IT STILL RELIABLE NOW??? 

To not be able to have any faith in a 2TB drive is a horrible thing..

You should run a test on it. Check it's basic health with CrystalDiskInfo, and then see about other tests if you're that worried. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I would say run a disk health scan and see what that reports.

-Moved to Storage Devices-

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

32 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

You should run a test on it. Check it's basic health with CrystalDiskInfo, and then see about other tests if you're that worried. 

Neat lil thing that...so "GOOD" is the aim of the game...? doesn't have any in depth scan that i can do that i can see..

ttttrtrgrg.JPG

9 hours ago, SINCLR said:

Neat lil thing that...so "GOOD" is the aim of the game...? doesn't have any in depth scan that i can do that i can see..

Basically, yes. You want to not have an absurd amount of hours (you have quite a few, but not too many) and not too many power cycles. Your drive looks fine. What's up with the one that says caution?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

it's something about sectors...? I'd assume it's the unfinished 100% legal torrents downloading to that drive haha

33 minutes ago, SINCLR said:

it's something about sectors...? I'd assume it's the unfinished 100% legal torrents downloading to that drive haha

If it has bad sectors, it's probably a bad drive. I'd replace it. 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

If it has bad sectors, it's probably a bad drive. I'd replace it. 

so nothing to do with active/incomplete torrents you rekon?   bugger! it's not that old at all just over 2 years i'd say

rtfgrtfgrtfg.JPG

Just now, SINCLR said:

so nothing to do with active/incomplete torrents you rekon?   bugger! it's not that old at all just over 2 years i'd say

No, that doesn't have anything to do with the health of a drive. Bad sectors become present when there are issues with the drive. 

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

No, that doesn't have anything to do with the health of a drive. Bad sectors become present when there are issues with the drive. 

CRAP! its my "healthy" drive too!!  i just bought a kraken g12 and H105 for my graphics card hahahha another $110NZD on a 2TB the wife aint gunna be happy oh dear

19 minutes ago, SINCLR said:

CRAP! its my "healthy" drive too!!  i just bought a kraken g12 and H105 for my graphics card hahahha another $110NZD on a 2TB the wife aint gunna be happy oh dear

Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing about mechanical drives. I've got one that's really weird. Sometimes my computer won't pass it's POST with it installed, other times it just complains of bad sectors, and other times it works fine. 

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Yeah, that's the unfortunate thing about mechanical drives. I've got one that's really weird. Sometimes my computer won't pass it's POST with it installed, other times it just complains of bad sectors, and other times it works fine. 

ignorance is bliss...bloody crystaldiskinfo hahha ah well another thing on the budget list.  

HD Tune "completed with read failure" at 10% ....gone burger for this drive?   6,000hrs .....vs the external i thought was stuffed @ 16,000hrs which is 100% fine now. grrrr running all the tests with ease now doing a surface test going to take 3hrs - not sure if it will offer any "repair" options after all that.

1.7TB that i cant clone or copy - cloning gets 2/3 the way through then just hangs i gave up after 5.5hrs, and drag n drop copy handful by handful worked for a few things now copy speed goes to 0 after a few seconds and "not responding" which grinds the whole system to a halt..if you manage to "restart" it hangs on the restarting windows screen..forcing a hold the power button shutdown  :-(