cable alternative ?

Carbide X

Hey guys, is there any good alternative that could replace ethernet cables ? My dad doesnt like the ethernet cables running all over the house.

Is there any good alternative that could still give me the 200mbits download speed which we pay for 

Your options are generally going to be:

1. Powerline - Depends a lot on the quality of wire and distance between the outlets

2. MoCA - Would need you to coax cable you could use but is somewhat expensive

3. Wifi - Easiest, obviously, but speed isn't guaranteed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

A good wireless router and PCIE wifi card could do the trick. I get about 160mbps for internal transfers between my desktop and router through numerous walls and over 30 feet. I get more like 600-700mbps when I use my laptop next to the router.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Good WiFi can, but you'll need to run cables to access points in order to do that in most cases. Powerline is an option that will normally work out cheaper than WiFi most of the time, but it depends heavily on the quality of the wiring in the building, as well as distance and interference. 

If you do go down the powerline route, make sure the ones you get use 1Gbps Ethernet ports. There's a lot that advertise 500Mbps bandwidth, but only use a 100Mbps port. 

call your isp, bitch and complain to get a run. worse comes to worse threaten to cancel service.even if it can't be done or matches your feng shui

this is what happens in my area.

powerline, or a good wifi router/wifi card/dongle is your best option.

Honestly how often are you using 200mbit on a single connection? Very seldom you'll get anywhere near that from websites/services other than M$ etc..Most wireless AC solutions however should hit 200mbit in a small household (~1600sqft of a wood framed house).

2 hours ago, intertan said:

call your isp, bitch and complain to get a run.

In a lot of areas ISP's wont run Ethernet in the walls. Hell if you seen how Comcast runs Coax, you might not want them to do an install. When we had internet installed, they decided to run a cable along the outside of the house and drill in from the outside. I see this all the time around these parts, where houses just have coax stringed along the outside of the house, it looks like shit. Plus if you want it done on the inside of a wall they will charge you your first born to do it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

In a lot of areas ISP's wont run Ethernet in the walls. Hell if you seen how Comcast runs Coax, you might not want them to do an install. When we had internet installed, they decided to run a cable along the outside of the house and drill in from the outside. I see this all the time around these parts, where houses just have coax stringed along the outside of the house, it looks like shit. Plus if you want it done on the inside of a wall they will charge you your first born to do it. 

I deal with this on a daily bases. Customer ripping out everything and sealing it up. then when they can't get there speed they act like the world is coming to an end.

advise them to purchase there own router/equipment as our stuff isnt te greatest, why would I spend money. our equipment is 20-50 on ebay right now. how can it compete with a $200+ router and our has more built in.

I can go on and on