8/6-pin power connector

My psu doesn’t have any extra power connectors, and the GPU that came with the PC didn’t have a power connector. If I buy a graphics card with an 8-pin power connector, will the card work at all? I also plan to buy a different psu, but it doesn’t fit in the case (I have a to buy a new case too).

7 minutes ago, Qwright10 said:

If I buy a graphics card with an 8-pin power connector, will the card work at all?

well

if you buy a lamp , and have no electricity to power it , how well do you think the lamp would work?

Just now, emosun said:

well

if you buy a lamp , and have no electricity to power it , how well do you think it would work?

The PCIe port delivers power too, so... That’s why I’m confused

4 minutes ago, Qwright10 said:

The PCIe port delivers power too, so... That’s why I’m confused

So in your mind the pci-e power connector is just sort of... extra credit or bonus power so to speak?

any card with a power connector needs a power plug for the card to work , that's why the connector is there , it's not optional.

1 minute ago, emosun said:

So in your mind the pci-e power connector is just sort of... extra credit or bonus power so to speak?

any card with a power connector need a power plug for the card to work , that's why the connector is there , it's not optional.

There are plenty of situations where a PC has auxiliary power connectors that aren't actually required. 

Not sure what you're hoping to achieve by being a smart arse to a newcomer, but it's not exactly the best introduction to the PC or this forum's community. 

@Qwright10 The connectors on graphics cards are non-optional, they must all be plugged in in order for it to work (so, you can't plug a 6pin PCIe cable into an 8pin PCIe connector, all pins must be connected). 

Technically, you can get things like molex to PCIe adaptors, but I would advise against them. If your PSU doesn't have an 8 pin PCIe connector, I would advise buying a new PSU as the one you current have likely isn't great quality if it's lacking even an 8 pin PCIe connector. 

We have a helpful PSU tier list here on the forum, I'd suggest taking a look at it when you're choosing a new PSU. 

17 minutes ago, Qwright10 said:

My psu doesn’t have any extra power connectors, and the GPU that came with the PC didn’t have a power connector.

Are you saying you don't have the cable or you don't have a physical PCIe port on the PSU to connect a cable into?

Cause if all you're missing is a cable, you can just buy those individually.

---

3 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

There are plenty of situations where a PC has auxiliary power connectors that aren't actually required. 

I cannot think of any gpu's that have optional power connections.

14 minutes ago, emosun said:

any card with a power connector need a power plug for the card to work , that's why the connector is there , it's not optional.

Thanks for clarifying! Could’ve made a HUGE mistake. 

Just now, emosun said:

Never said GPUs had optional power connectors, but plenty of motherboards do. To a newcomer who doesn't know that, it's not clear whether they're required or not, especially since GPUs without any PCIe power connectors exist. 

5 minutes ago, emosun said:

Some of the RX 460's didnt need them. I had a Sapphire Nitro 460 that you could run without the 6 pin, it would just revert its factory OC to stock speeds.

As for OP, dont jank on power. If you dont have the connector needed, get a new PSU. Molex to 6 pin is generally fine for cards that are just above the 75w that pcie can put out, like a GTX 1060 or the above mentioned RX 460, even my ancient Quadro FX 4600 originally shipped out to render farms with a dual molex to six pin adapter directly from nvidia, it can provide the little bit of extra wattage needed, but having the actual connector is a much better option.

Definitely not an 8 pin though, molex to 8 pin is a housefire.