I feel like my boot drive is dying!

Dawson S

The past day i have had quite a few blue screens when trying to boot my PC, it posts fine but when it gets to the windows loading screen it takes nearly 5 mins to boot or it just wont even do that and just display a blue screen instead. I'm running a CORSAIR MP500 120GB M.2 SSD as my boot drive and running windows 10 64bit as my OS. I don't know if my boot drive is the issue or even how to diagnose it if it is. I would really appreciate if anyone could help seen as how I've only had the drive for a couple of months and this is my first PC so i'm not overly confident in my ability to diagnose the problem.

-Thank You

Crystaldiskmark and Crystaldiskinfo can give you all the information you need.

Usually windows problems are from upgrading or cloning though, rather than a dying drive.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That seems more like OS than hardware. Open a command prompt with admin privileges and type:

sfc /scannow

Then press enter. It'll take 5-10 minutes to scan your entire Windows installation for problems, then either fix them or tell you to use Windows 10 installation media to repair it.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

Bluescreens are usually CPU/RAM/driver related.

Slow boot times can be caused by the CPU/RAM, a failed heatsink or bad memory module for example.

When A drive starts to go, the system will just freeze while Windows continually retries the disk transfer.  It can take considerable time for the system to BSOD.  Use a SMART scanner to find out how many GB have been written to the disk, 240gb drives that have not been kept continually full can usually take nearly a petabyte of writes before failure,  a 120gb drive would get roughly half that (500TB).

If the drive has been over 50% full for most of its life, take that 500TB figure and cut it in half (250TB).  If its been over ~75% full for the majority of its life, cut it in half again (125TB).

34 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Usually windows problems are from upgrading or cloning though, rather than a dying drive.

thank you i'm trying this now

44 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

That seems more like OS than hardware. Open a command prompt with admin privileges and type:

sfc /scannow

Then press enter. It'll take 5-10 minutes to scan your entire Windows installation for problems, then either fix them or tell you to use Windows 10 installation media to repair it.

it says Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

46 minutes ago, Enderman said:

its a brand new system with a fresh install of windows, and its been working fine for a couple months until now.