CPU voltage stuck at standard value (Ryzen)

We have all heard about the CPU multiplier getting stuck at x15.5. There are patterns you can do when applying CPU voltage that will "unlock" the CPU multiplier. I have been successful and unsuccessful applying + 0.08125v in offset mode as an example. It depends on the pattern I take. With the "correct" pattern, I can achieve this offset voltage value without the multiplier getting stuck. The problem is bigger than this though.

Even if you achieve to "unlock" the multiplier, you might see that the CPU voltage value you inputted doesn't work. It just doesn't apply. My standard CPU voltage value is 1.23750v. If I apply + 0.08125v, the BIOS will show 1.318v total, which is correct.

Having these values, booting into Windows, multiplier not being stuck, HWMonitor will show me that the max value is still 1.23750v which is the standard value. It has not added the extra + 0.08125v. If launch up Ryzen master application, insert, and apply 1.3v, HWmonitor will in seconds update the max value to 1.3v. This simply means that the CPU voltage value you inputted in the BIOS simply doesn't apply. Even when you think you have worked it out by not getting stuck at x15.5, your CPU voltage might still be at standard value.

This is at least what is happening to me. What I can do is to increase the CPU frequency as high as the standard CPU voltage allows me. 2nd option would be do launch Ryzen master after every boot and apply the OC which I don't really want to do. In my experience, my Ryzen 1600 runs stable at 3.8GHz at standard CPU value (1.23750v) I can even decrease the voltage, but I rather not. Might squeeze out 3.825GHz or 3.85Ghz

GIF

• BIOS Version: 3803 (Latest)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3,2GHz Socket AM4 Box
  • CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Spire cooler (Stock)
  • Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix B350-F Gaming
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 PC25600/3200MHz CL16 2x8GB (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16)
  • Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 Dual OC 2xHDMI 2xDP 6GB
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550W
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB

I had the same problem with offset and multiplier locked at x22 (r5 1600x). Have you experimented with p-state overclock?

3 minutes ago, nowison86 said:

I had the same problem with offset and multiplier locked at x22 (r5 1600x). Have you experimented with p-state overclock?

I have not tried P-state. Not even sure what that is. I have tried "custom CPU value" and that didn't work either. Honestly, it doesn't seem that the CPU value I input in BIOS gets applied. It doesn't matter, and it will be stuck at the default 1.2375v. It's either that, or there's a bug with HWMonitor. HWMonitor will change the Max CPU voltage value when I apply through Ryzen master though

12 minutes ago, nowison86 said:

What power plan do you have set?

Scratch my entire post. I totally misjudged what the "Max VID" meant in HWmonitor. I have been tinkering a lot with the CPU voltage offset mode and this is pretty much my result.

3.8GHz = +0.07500 (1.312v total)
3.9GHz = +0.08125 (1.318v total)
4.0GHz = +0.08750 (1.325v total)

I cannot apply higher offset value on these CPU frequencies without getting down-clocked to 1.55GHz. Actually after I tried the 3.8Ghz preset ^ I tried 3.9Ghz with +0.08750 for the last time, and it actually worked. I haven't tinkered more than this, but this seems to be the end of it. I reset the CMOS but that didn't work. I have the latest BIOS version, with all the latest drivers. Chipset directly from AMD, and I use the AMD balanced power plan.

These offset values with these frequencies doesn't always work. Especially if you do big jumps. Even with small jumps, it's kinda random, like how I finally could apply +0.08750 on 3.9GHz.

The "My RYZEN is locked a frequency X and voltage Y" bug from ASUS has returned for a lot of people following their spectre fix roll out. My 1700 gets locked to 2.25GHz if i use a C6H BIOS later than, and including 3502.

Nothing you can do buddy.

Why yes gavner I am int-oo these 'ere comuter machines I am! Too British?

12 minutes ago, Mace ya face said:

The "My RYZEN is locked a frequency X and voltage Y" bug from ASUS has returned for a lot of people following their spectre fix roll out. My 1700 gets locked to 2.25GHz if i use a C6H BIOS later than, and including 3502.

Nothing you can do buddy.

It works for me with the following instruction in my previous comment. I cannot apply too much voltage or it will indeed downclock. I'm now stress testing 3.9GHz with +0.08750 (1.325v total) and hopefully this is enough voltage for my chip. I doubt that, so I will most likely end up at 3.8Ghz which is actually stable even with standard voltage.

Just now, kiicki said:

It works for me with the following instruction in my previous comment. I cannot apply too much voltage or it will indeed downclock. I'm now stress testing 3.9GHz with +0.08125 (1.318v total) and hopefully this is enough voltage for my chip. I doubt that, so I will most likely end up at 3.8Ghz which is actually stable even with standard voltage.

Oh, sorry. I just got really confused. Chao.

Why yes gavner I am int-oo these 'ere comuter machines I am! Too British?