Is my memory at 3200 mhz?

kage65

Have asus rog strix z370 e gaming

corsair ddr4 3200 memory

intel i7 8600k

My bois says im running 3200 speed in one area and 2133 in a different area. How do I know if I'm really running in 3200? Tksd

IMG_0564.JPG

CPU-Z. It will either say 3200 or 1600, either one means you are running at 3200 MHz.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Boot into Windows, run CPU-Z (download it if you don't have it installed already) and tell us what it says the speed is in the memory tab. 

1 minute ago, kage65 said:

Yep, it's running correctly. RAM speeds are weird, but they are running at 3200 MHz.

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 8700k | be quiet! Dark Rock 4 | Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac | 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ | 256 GB Intel® SSD 600p Series | ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Mini | Fractal Design Node 304 | Cooler Master V750 | Asus MG279Q | Asus VC279 | Logitech G710+ | Corsair M65 Pro RGB

Interesting, that bios screen is confusing. Also if its running at 3200 why does cpu z show 1599? tks

It should be. The XMP profile has been set correctly.

I expect the first number in the Information is possibly just a label.

The DRAM numbers tell the default spec of the RAM.

The XMP number tells the modified profile that the RAM has been set to.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

4 hours ago, kage65 said:

Interesting, that bios screen is confusing. Also if its running at 3200 why does cpu z show 1599? tks

Maybe funny OC settings?

Doh moment. I read it as being 101mhz off, not 1mhz.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

8 minutes ago, kage65 said:

DDR = Double Data Rate. What CPU-Z shows is the actual clock speed of the RAM, but DDR means that two operations are performed per clock cycle, which would be the same as 3200MHz if it were performing a single operation per cycle. It's an effective clock speed.

3200MHz sounds better than 1600MHz, so the effective clock speed is quoted. 

EDIT: As for it being 1599, it's likely something the system did for timings or something. For all intents and purposes, it's 1600MHz.