MSI Laptop Worth it?

Hey Guys,

Can anyone help tell me a little about this laptop? I'm thinking about buying a cheap laptop for class and I found one, but have no idea what model or anything about it besides its a msi laptop. I think its the MSI gt686, the guy told me it was ms-16f2, but when I look that up it shows me an older looking version of the laptop. Can someone tell me if there are different versions of the same model or the right model of the computer? Sorry some of the stickers I had to cover up. the screen is broke too, could anyone tell me how hard it would to be to replace that?

Here are some pictures. 27858661_10160112652295077_1589122796199189923_n.jpg?oh=c98348951b73b2600ffd1252fa7c9549&oe=5B0444C3

yup 2.png

yup 1.png

Thanks,

Portz:D

How much is he charging for it? Only looks like it's worth $120 or so.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

How much is he charging for it? Only looks like it's worth $120 or so.

40 bucks

Thanks,

3 minutes ago, PortzJ said:

40 bucks

USD?
Does he know specs?

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

USD?
Does he know specs?

yeah us dollars and I asked for the specs and he gave me that model number 

Thanks,

4 minutes ago, PortzJ said:

yeah us dollars and I asked for the specs and he gave me that model number 

Nah, don't get it. Even for that cheap, performance, battery life, and thermals won't be very good, and pretty much the most important thing on a laptop, the screen, is broken.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Nah, don't get it. Even for that cheap, performance, battery life, and thermals won't be very good, and pretty much the most important thing on a laptop, the screen, is broken.

Alright, thanks! You sure not even to flip?

Thanks,

7 minutes ago, PortzJ said:

Alright, thanks! You sure not even to flip?

Yeah. And part of this is because you don't even know if everything else works. For all we/you know, the GPU could be dead or something...

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

i wouldn't go for it the screen is toast and repair isn't super easy and the parts aren't cheap, you would at the very least need new battery and screen and that will set you back quite a bit in cash, that's assuming nothing else is wrong and even if you get it working you will have a slower cpu, that gets very hot and is heavy and just burns through battery. Unless your the kind of person that likes to fix things for the fun of it don't go for it. there will be no profit in it and it will take a lot of time and money that just isn't worth it.

main system build --> i7-7700K (at 5.0 ghz), MSI Z270 SLI Motherboard, corsair vengeance lpx 8gb ddr4 2666mhz,  costume liquid cooling loop with 360 mm radiator on CPU, GTX 1080 gigabyte windforce OC, 1TB WD drive, 128 gb samsung nvme m.2, EVGA 850 watt semi modular power supply, CM storm stryker case (ya not ideal for costume loop), VIOTEK GN34C 34 inch curved monitor <----

Spoiler

We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world."

1 hour ago, PortzJ said:

Hey Guys,

Can anyone help tell me a little about this laptop? I'm thinking about buying a cheap laptop for class and I found one, but have no idea what model or anything about it besides its a msi laptop. I think its the MSI gt686, the guy told me it was ms-16f2, but when I look that up it shows me an older looking version of the laptop. Can someone tell me if there are different versions of the same model or the right model of the computer? Sorry some of the stickers I had to cover up. the screen is broke too, could anyone tell me how hard it would to be to replace that?

Here are some pictures. 27858661_10160112652295077_1589122796199189923_n.jpg?oh=c98348951b73b2600ffd1252fa7c9549&oe=5B0444C3

yup 2.png

yup 1.png

It should be a Gt683

https://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-GT683R-242US.55346.0.html

msiGT683.jpg

Bottem_Closed.jpg

Bottom_Opened.jpg

someone upgraded that model with a gtx970m

Gt683/16f2 with Gtx970m https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9458-msi-16f2-with-gtx970m/

74.jpg

Spoiler

It's a EUROCOM generic laptop special! http://www.eurocom.com/ec/upgrade(2,443,0)MSIGT683R(MS-16F2)

The model number will do us no good unless the seller can list exactly what it was built with originally, and any upgrades that have been performed. Overall, it looks like it came out during the 2nd Gen Intel processor era, and takes MXM GPU cards, which nVidia is rumored to be phasing out soon anyway.

On top of that, the screen is broken, so no, I wouldn't touch that even if he gave it away for free. It's not worth my time refurbishing to sell to an IT client, since after the cost of replacing the monitor, thermal compound on the GPU and CPU, and cleaning it up, I could just sell them something new from the store and take a % commission for my recommendation.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Thanks guys for all the info and help

Thanks,