Recommended RTS games for someone new to genre?

IrshaadH

Hey all,

I recently picked up Halo Wars 2 on sale on the MS store and am having tons of fun with it.  In particular, I'm really enjoying the multi-tasking, strategy-based nature of the gameplay, and I'm interested in getting more involved with the genre.  What RTS titles should I look at?  I guess the obvious choice would be StarCraft 2, but I'll take other suggestions as well.

Thanks!

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Crusader Kings II is my current obsession - On the border of RTS but it's excellent and only $20. Highly recommended.

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

I think the classic Age of Empires II deserves a playthrough, especially now that there's a version that supports current gen resolutions as well as a couple unofficial expansions. It's easily my favorite RTS of all time.

If you want something slower that's still RTS, check out Rise of Nations, which was made in collaboration between Ensemble Studios - the guys behind AOE - and the team that makes the Civilization games.

These are both classic and old games. A recent released is They Are Billions which is a survival-ish RTS, with similar mechanics but that puts you against incoming waves of zombies (basically). It was praised a lot though I haven't gotten around to playing it.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Definitely a fan of Stellaris, because it's a slow paced game with a lot of elements that play around the story, diplomacy, and so forth. (It's technically a RTS with adjustable speed for fast forwarding.) On top of that, there's a Star Trek overhaul mod.

There's a pretty wide gamut of RTS games to choose from.

• Traditional RTS:
    • If you're more into basic resource management, base building, and army building, the Command and Conquer series (except for C&C 4) is great for that. You only need to manage one resource.
    • If you're into base building with more resource management, but without a huge tech tree or with "bite-sized" missions, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Company of Heroes come to mind. There's probably others that are similar to it but I can't think of them right now. The only caveat with Company of Heroes is the base building is in a fixed spot. The game focuses more on tactics.
  • Real Time Tactics:
    • If you don't care for base building, there's Warhammer 40000 RTS games, World in Conflict, and Supreme Commander. Command and Conquer 4 also lies in this category. The core difference between RTS and RTT is that RTT focuses strictly on commanding units, and often times you're limited in how many you can deploy. If there's a resource system, resources gathering is either a "king of the hill" style or automatically generated over time.
  • Real time 4X (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate):
    • If you want a grand epic adventure, from base building to researching a vast technology tree, on top of building an army and conquering your enemies, there's the Age of Empire series, Rise of Nations, Empire Earth (the first one), Sins of a Solar Empire, among others.
  • Turn-based Management, Real-time Combat:
    • This is a hybrid, where all building and planning is done in turns, but the actual combat takes place in real time. The Total War series is like this.

Being a Nintendo fanboy, I also recommend the fire emblem and Pikmin series

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Dawn of war 

dawn of war winter assault

dawn of war dark crusade

I haven’t tried 2 retribution so no comment on it

dont bother with 

soulstorm 

2 chaos rising

i also enjoyed command and conquer Generals.