PC randomly reboots

partymarty

Hello,

I've built my sister a scrap pc a while back. She used it for school the entire year but now she decided she wanted to play Planet Coaster. She called me yesterday that while she's playing her PC randomly reboots.

Specs:

CPU: Core 2 quad Q9650

RAM: 2x1gb + 2x2gb DDR2 (I know it's not a ideal solution, but I just threw every thing I had laying around into that build)

HDD; 1TB 7200 rpm

SSD: 240gb Kingston

GPU: GTX 670 (some Palit or PNY model)

Case: A salvaged Dell case

PSU: Corsair VS450 PSU

I'm like 99% sure the PSU isn't providing enough wattage for the system.

I've tested the sytem on overheating issues, but there were no problems found there. In AIDA with only FPU checked, the cpu never went over 60 degrees C.

Do you guys think my assumption is right?

Kind regards :) 

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

3 minutes ago, Tosa said:

Maybe underclocking it might help?

I'm more than willing to buy her a new PSU. Some Corsair CX650 or something like that. 

But before I spend those 60 bucks I want to know for sure that the PSU is underpowered.

The 670 page says:

Minimum System Power Recommended  = 500W.

The Q9650 is some 95 TDP part.

So it looks rather obvious to me... But maybe I'm missing something.

PC Specs: Intel Core i7-8700k - Asus ROG Z370 MAXIMUS X HERO - 2x8gb Kingston Predator DDR4 3200MHz - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti gaming X Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 - Samsung 850 PRO 256gb - Samsung 850 EVO 500gb - Seagate Barracuda 2tb - Fractal Design Meshify C - Asus PCE-AC56 - Be Quiet! Straight Power 10 CM 700W.

Peripherals: Corsair K70 LUX - Steelseries Rival 310 - Dell S2417DG - Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro - Audioengine D1.

looks that way have you tried doing a cpu then GPU stress test if its the PSU low wattage should be stable under CPU stress and turn off under GPU load. would give us abit more info to go on does it crash or reboot in any other environment? or just while under load in gaming? 

6 minutes ago, duffman91 said:

looks that way have you tried doing a cpu then GPU stress test if its the PSU low wattage should be stable under CPU stress and turn off under GPU load. would give us abit more info to go on does it crash or reboot in any other environment? or just while under load in gaming? 

It only reboots when gaming. Sometimes after 3 minutes, sometimes after 20min.

This is what happens: She plays, screen turns black, fans stop spinning, pc turns itself on again, she'll boot into Windows. 

I could not get the system to reboot itself when using AIDA 64 FPU + GPU + RAM.

The system works fine all the time, but as soon as she starts Planet Coaster (which is shockingly a pretty demanding title) the thing starts rebooting suddenly.

I've done some PSU calculations and most of those calculators recommend at LEAST 430W. So I think that pretty crappy VS450 just can't supply the juice...

hard to say 100% but i believe you are correct and its the PSU, do you have another PSU? you could try using one to run the system and one to run the card? and try to replicate the same results? 

Just now, duffman91 said:

hard to say 100% but i believe you are correct and its the PSU, do you have another PSU? you could try using one to run the system and one to run the card? and try to replicate the same results? 

I think I'll just take the gamble and buy a CX650M for 60 euros... I'm like 99% sure it will solve all the problems for her.

It's a miracle that that game even runs on that system xD

Check those "requirements":

Here are the Planet Coaster system requirements (minimum)

CPU: Intel i5-2300/AMD FX-4300

CPU SPEED: Info

RAM: 8 GB

VIDEO CARD: nVidia GTX 560 (2 GB)/AMD Radeon 7850 (2GB)

FREE DISK SPACE: 8 GB

Planet Coaster Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel i7-4770/AMD FX-8350

CPU SPEED: Info

RAM: 12 GB

VIDEO CARD: nVidia GTX 980 (4GB)/AMD R9 380 (4GB)

FREE DISK SPACE: 8 GB

Just now, duffman91 said:

also you can check windows event log might have a BSOD code or shut down report

That's a good one! Thanks. Will do :)

58 minutes ago, partymarty said:

That's a good one! Thanks. Will do :)

by the way in the mean time until you have have the new PSU try getting the pc power plan to balanced could help with stability whilst gaming.