Conductonaut on a Dell 7567 George Foreman Grille Edition

Tomorrow is the day I turn my hot plate into a real "laptop" -- assuming there's no aluminum in there... don't think there is. 

Will post pictures. 

Anyone else want to share their liquid metal experiences?

4 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

Tomorrow is the day I turn my hot plate into a real "laptop" -- assuming there's no aluminum in there... don't think there is. 

Will post pictures. 

Anyone else want to share their liquid metal experiences?

I just put liquid metal in my ge72 2qf with a 970m yesterday. Dropped 4-8c, heatsinks are tiny so i didn't expect it to be crazy. There's going to be aluminum in there but if there's copper touching the die you should be fine. Sadly there was aluminum directly on where my cpu is so i couldn't put liquid metal on that.

Discord: Skyline#0820

Literally an idiot, don't listen to me.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

7 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

I just put liquid metal in my ge72 2qf with a 970m yesterday. Dropped 4-8c, heatsinks are tiny so i didn't expect it to be crazy. There's going to be aluminum in there but if there's copper touching the die you should be fine. Sadly there was aluminum directly on where my cpu is so i couldn't put liquid metal on that.

any way to tell what's aluminum and what isn't?

1 minute ago, Team_RGB said:

any way to tell what's aluminum and what isn't?

Copper looks brown-ish, if you see something chrome-like screatch the edge of it and if it still looks the same color it's aluminum but if there's copper under it's probably nickel plated.

Main computer: i5-4690k 4.3GHz, Noctua NH-D15, Nitro+ RX 580 SE, 16GB Corsair Vengeance, Samsung 840 series 128GB Crucial MX500 2TB, WD Purple 3TB, EVGA 600w, Dell s2240m 1080p 60hz, Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue, Logitech G502 Hero.

Asus GU501gm

So disassembling the laptop — I got all the way down to the heat pipes and of course there’s a couple of screws securing it over the CPU and GPU that dont want to go down without a fight.

Stripped those mothers pretty good... calling it for the night. Good tools are at the office. To be continued.

Note: While the 7567 is easy to upgrade with its 1 screw access panel for RAM, HDD, and M.2, it’s a SOB for getting to the CPU and GPU.

6 minutes ago, Team_RGB said:

Any aluminum? Probably. Eager to find out ?

E63D0217-4DF3-4C5B-A6D7-D1F17F19865B.jpeg

You might be lucky and have copper plates on the dies, but unlike my laptop it just has a copper pipe soldered to the heatpipe. Note single heatpipe. As in one. Not even a big one.

Asus GU501gm

5 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

You might be lucky and have copper plates on the dies, but unlike my laptop it just has a copper pipe soldered to the heatpipe. Note single heatpipe. As in one. Not even a big one.

Damn.  How hot do your internals get? 

Just now, DeWat4 said:

Damn.  How hot do your internals get? 

Well it is one heatpipe for the cpu, 2 for the gpu. The cpu gets to 90c, base clock is 2.7GHz and boost is around 3.5GHz, and it goes all the way down to 2.8-3. So i usually have turbo boost off because i don't always need that power and it keeps temps down in games. GPU without my external laptop cooling pad gets to 82c and with a pad gets to 72. But that has liquid metal now (only gpu not cpu) and gets to 65-67 with the laptop cooling pad. The real problem with the laptop is the heatsinks are way too small to cool a 5700hq and 970m.

Asus GU501gm

So update -- I finished the procedure and... it never posted again. meh

womp womp

Huh, personally and according to the accounts of many others these laptops have great thermals.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work, how difficult was disassembly? Is it completely dead?

That's an F in the profile pic

2 hours ago, Team_RGB said:

So update -- I finished the procedure and... it never posted again. meh

womp womp

Did you put nail polish on the surface mount components and the open traces on the other chip? It's possible that it works if it only spilled to those.

Asus GU501gm

43 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

Huh, personally and according to the accounts of many others these laptops have great thermals.

Sorry to hear it didn’t work, how difficult was disassembly? Is it completely dead?

I don't think its completely dead. Breakdown was a medium difficulty -- it's not all quite as easy as the single screw access panel on the bottom.

17 minutes ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Did you put nail polish on the surface mount components and the open traces on the other chip? It's possible that it works if it only spilled to those.

yessir, isopropyl to remove the thermal paste and conformal coating to protect the stuff surrounding the CPU and GPU.

Im going to crack it open and see whats up -- hopefully we're talking about a loose ribbon cable.

Just now, Team_RGB said:

yessir, isopropyl to remove the thermal paste and conformal coating to protect the stuff surrounding the CPU and GPU.

Im going to crack it open and see whats up -- hopefully we're talking about a loose ribbon cable.

Ok good luck, i was super sketched out about mine and put on 2 thick-ish coats of nail polish and electric tape around it.

Asus GU501gm

18 hours ago, TheElectronicGeek1 said:

Well it is one heatpipe for the cpu, 2 for the gpu. The cpu gets to 90c, base clock is 2.7GHz and boost is around 3.5GHz, and it goes all the way down to 2.8-3. So i usually have turbo boost off because i don't always need that power and it keeps temps down in games. GPU without my external laptop cooling pad gets to 82c and with a pad gets to 72. But that has liquid metal now (only gpu not cpu) and gets to 65-67 with the laptop cooling pad. The real problem with the laptop is the heatsinks are way too small to cool a 5700hq and 970m.

Wow..I've thought about using liquid metal but I don't trust myself enough to do it.  My Alienware has 2 very large heatpipes for both the CPU and GPU.  My 6700HQ, when undervolted and the laptop is elevated for air flow, never really gets above 75C when playing games. My GPU, a 1060 6gb, stays aroud 60C when playing games like GTA V or PUBG. It turbos up to around 2Ghz when running Unigine Heaven, and I can get it to turbo up to around 2.1Ghz all while staying around 63C.

I put some Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut on my Clevo P650SG, it dropped temps by about 15°C, from about 90°C++ to high 70s on the CPU, and about the same difference on my GPU to about low 70s (Singapore is warm). One thing you have to be very slow with is the liquid metal syringe, too little force and nothing comes out, too much all of it comes out. A few months down the road, I just took it apart last weekend to take a look, it has mostly dried up, but there was also a medium-ish drop of it to the side, as I have put too much the first time round, so I just spread that drop back onto the CPU and put everything back together. Also took apart the GPU heatsink and found it is dry, so I cleaned it off and replaced with regular thermal compound as I have ran out of Conductonaut after using it for delidding my 7700K. And oh boy liquid metal is an ass to get rid of.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap