Which NAS should I choose?

Hi there!

Been figuring it out for months on whether which nas should I get?

DS918+ or DS1817+

From what I see the 918 offers a nvme cache with 4k playback, while 1817 offers extra 4 slots for future upgrades without the need to get another expansion unit.

With that said the advantages of each are also their disadvantages.

Thus I am confused on which one should I get? 

Biggest difference is bay count. how many drives are you using?

The bigger one also has a faster cpu, and a pcie slot for 10gbe or ssds. 

What are you using the nas for?

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Biggest difference is bay count. how many drives are you using?

The bigger one also has a faster cpu, and a pcie slot for 10gbe or ssds. 

What are you using the nas for?

Thanks for the response!

Currently I have 5hdds ready to populate

I understand that the bigger one has a better spec, but in terms of video playback (1080p min) which I experience in my old 1513+, loading isnt that good (I wonder if 1817 is the same 0.o)

I have no need for 10gbps nor ssd (Thank you singapore for a whopping $190 SGD subscription per month lol)

My main use of NAS is mostly video playback and file transfers ( Seeing that the 918 only has 2ports as compared to 1513 and 1817 does it make a difference? I last configured my 1513 for a link aggregation in order to achieve the ideal transfer rate of ~120mbps with a 1gbps connection)

3 minutes ago, LexenZ said:

Thanks for the response!

Currently I have 5hdds ready to populate

I understand that the bigger one has a better spec, but in terms of video playback (1080p min) which I experience in my old 1513+, loading isnt that good (I wonder if 1817 is the same 0.o)

I have no need for 10gbps nor ssd (Thank you singapore for a whopping $190 SGD subscription per month lol)

My main use of NAS is mostly video playback and file transfers ( Seeing that the 918 only has 2ports as compared to 1513 and 1817 does it make a difference? I last configured my 1513 for a link aggregation in order to achieve the ideal transfer rate of ~120mbps with a 1gbps connection)

are you using plex? the 4k is just for transcoding, not playback over cifs or nfs

4 minutes ago, LexenZ said:

(Thank you singapore for a whopping $190 SGD subscription per month lol)

you dont have to pay any extra for 10gbe, its just between your pcs and the nas. total setup cost can be under 100usd

dont use lacp here, use 10gbe.

id get the 8 bay

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

are you using plex? the 4k is just for transcoding, not playback over cifs or nfs

I don't use plex, for android I use VLC under FTP settings for playback, while iOS I use AVplayer under FTP as well.

When it comes to 4k playback the 1513 has no response to neither of the devices.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you dont have to pay any extra for 10gbe, its just between your pcs and the nas. total setup cost can be under 100usd

dont use lacp here, use 10gbe.

Wouldn't be process be complicated? If you were to transfer files with the 10gbps connection and also using the internet at the same time.

Personally, I'd rather get the 10gbps for everything even though the cost is under 100usd

id get the 8 bay

Hmmm... I see thanks for the feedback! 

4 minutes ago, LexenZ said:

I don't use plex, for android I use VLC under FTP settings for playback, while iOS I use AVplayer under FTP as well.

When it comes to 4k playback the 1513 has no response to neither of the devices.

Then the nas won't matter at all. The 4k is only for transcoding, not streaming footage from the nas. 

Why do you want 4k on a antriod or ios device anyways? it will make no difference. My guess is client problems, not the nas.

6 minutes ago, LexenZ said:

Wouldn't be process be complicated? If you were to transfer files with the 10gbps connection and also using the internet at the same time.

Personally, I'd rather get the 10gbps for everything even though the cost is under 100usd

You put a 10gbe nic into your pc. You put on in the nas. You get a cable to connect them. You set IP's for both that are differnet from their normal ips. You mount the nas with that ip on your desktop. Boom 10gbe to the nas.

Getting 10gbe for everything is basically useless, this is a great solution as only your desktop needs the fast speeds. 

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Then the nas won't matter at all. The 4k is only for transcoding, not streaming footage from the nas. 

Why do you want 4k on a antriod or ios device anyways? it will make no difference. My guess is client problems, not the nas.

Apologies maybe I should explain further, I usually record videos in 4k, playing back with my old nas usually doesn't have any responses.

So I was not sure if it was the nas issue.

But since you mention its a "trans-coding only" process, then I guess by right it  should work? xD 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You put a 10gbe nic into your pc. You put on in the nas. You get a cable to connect them. You set IP's for both that are differnet from their normal ips. You mount the nas with that ip on your desktop. Boom 10gbe to the nas.

So the moment the IP's are already different am I temporary disconnected from the main internet? 

Apologies I have no knowledge of this.

Just now, LexenZ said:

Apologies maybe I should explain further, I usually record videos in 4k, playing back with my old nas usually doesn't have any responses.

So I was not sure if it was the nas issue.

But since you mention its a "trans-coding only" process, then I guess by right it  should work? xD 

Then the new nas won't make any difference. 

The issue is your clients(im guessing) can't playback 4k. You need better clients or to transcode all your footage(you can't do this on the nas) A program like plex will also work here well.

1 minute ago, LexenZ said:

So the moment the IP's are already different am I temporary disconnected from the main internet? 

Apologies I have no knowledge of this.

The nas ip is used when you want to connect to the nas and only for the nas. The system will still use the normal network for all other uses.

Then the new nas won't make any difference. 

The issue is your clients(im guessing) can't playback 4k. You need better clients or to transcode all your footage(you can't do this on the nas) A program like plex will also work here well.

Ah I see, Plex requires $$ to go for its premium features. I do plan to get that when I am working.

When you mention clients is it the apps that's stopping it?

The nas ip is used when you want to connect to the nas and only for the nas. The system will still use the normal network for all other uses.

Ah... I see so during file transfers the 10gbps will be used while the normal internet connection will stay intact?

Just now, LexenZ said:

Ah I see, Plex requires $$ to go for its premium features. I do plan to get that when I am working.

When you mention clients is it the apps that's stopping it?

Do the vidoes play back fine on your desktop? My guess is your phones can't decode 4k video or the wifi is too slow.

Just now, LexenZ said:

Ah... I see so during file transfers the 10gbps will be used while the normal internet connection will stay intact?

Yep. The 10gbe is only used for the nas. Everything else will be the same.

Do the vidoes play back fine on your desktop? My guess is your phones can't decode 4k video or the wifi is too slow.

Yes the video playback through laptop/desktop streams flawlessly even though you buffer it to any timing of the video, instant playback is achieved.

When it comes the phones... lol nothing xD There is options for hardware and software encoding in the apps, but it doesn't seem to work as well.

Yep. The 10gbe is only used for the nas. Everything else will be the same.

Ah I see noted! Will consider this option for file transfers next time :)

Just now, LexenZ said:

When it comes the phones... lol nothing xD There is options for hardware and software encoding in the apps, but it doesn't seem to work as well.

Yep your phones are the problem, not the nas then. Plex would help here as it will transcode the videos so they can be played on the nas realtime. Yea it costs money, but your are spending 1000 on a nas...

Yep your phones are the problem, not the nas then. Plex would help here as it will transcode the videos so they can be played on the nas realtime. Yea it costs money, but your are spending 1000 on a nas...

xD the reason to be able to afford was that I had income during that time, however I have no knowledge of third party transcoders as I assume that the nas and the phone would work just fine