Trying to SSH into FreeNAS

phongle123

I'm trying to follow this guy to install OpenVPN into my FreeNAS and I literally got stuck at the very beginning.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-install-openvpn-inside-a-jail-in-freenas-9-2-1-6-with-access-to-remote-hosts-via-nat.22873/

My router's IP is ..0.1, my FreeNAS is ..0.2, and my OpenVPN jail that I created is ..0.3.

When I try to PuTTy into ..0.2 or ..0.3 I get a Connection Refused. When I try it on ..0.1 I get through but it asks me for username and password and I'm assuming that its my router, but that doesn't work. And I tried the username root and my password for FreeNAS and it doesn't work also.

Googling hasn't helped me either. 

I have NO Static Address, NO DHCP.

I have set a source and destination storage.

I am able to ping ..0.2 and ..0.3.

Did you enable SSH on FreeNAS at all? 

Also, you can't actually test your OpenVPN within the local network, it'll loop back to itself. Furthermore, a VPN typically applies its own separate subnet (it can't be mapped to a singular IP address) which the OpenVPN server will provide DHCP addresses for and route to the main network.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

14 hours ago, phongle123 said:

I have NO Static Address, NO DHCP.

You have 3 options when it comes to IPs, none, static or dynamic (DHCP) so you clearly are running static IPs if you manually set them up. If not then it is DHCP since you said you could ping them. 

Have you checked to make sure port 22 is open on the target machines?

Pretty sure the service is stopped by default, one you enable it you cannot login with root, and any account you create needs to be in the SSH group.

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 2:48 AM, NelizMastr said:

Did you enable SSH on FreeNAS at all? 

Also, you can't actually test your OpenVPN within the local network, it'll loop back to itself. Furthermore, a VPN typically applies its own separate subnet (it can't be mapped to a singular IP address) which the OpenVPN server will provide DHCP addresses for and route to the main network.

Yea I could use some help setting it up. I followed the guide and got stuck at "Replace /mnt/keys/ for the path where you mounted your permanent storage. This enables the OpenVPN service, tells it where to find the configuration we saved and tells it where to find the NAT configuration."

How do I replace the path, I can't even find the mnt location?

On 2/24/2018 at 11:06 PM, phongle123 said:

Yea I could use some help setting it up. I followed the guide and got stuck at "Replace /mnt/keys/ for the path where you mounted your permanent storage. This enables the OpenVPN service, tells it where to find the configuration we saved and tells it where to find the NAT configuration."

How do I replace the path, I can't even find the mnt location?

If you created volumes, they are located under /mnt. Lot of people call their volumes "tank" which would be /mnt/tank/. Then you create say a dataset, it would be /mnt/tank/dataset.

If you

cd /mnt

it should take you there, then do a

ls

or

dir

to see what volumes are there, and keep drilling down until you find a home. This is within FreeNAS of course, if you're trying this inside of a jail that's different.

When you setup your jail, you can mount a dataset to it for permanent storage. Create a dataset, then just mount it to the jail from the freenas web GUI.